White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 12:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Is Flowers the long-term answer at catcher?

Before this season started, I would bet 90% of Sox fans would have said "no" to this question, but if he can hit .250 every year and be an occasional HR threat, I don't see why not. It's not AJ-level production, but few catchers are going to be .280 career hitters anyway.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...727-story.html
He says it's not the glasses, which I'm inclined to believe, since he was tearing the cover off the ball in April as well, and didn't have them then. Hopefully he can maintain the mindset he mentions in that article, about keeping the ball up the middle.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Flowers would make a very good long term, backup catcher.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanatlanta View Post
Yes.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanatlanta View Post
Agreed.

.250 with HR power is fine - if he could actually play average defense.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-05-2014, 01:00 PM
WSI Personality

I don't know about long term, but I think he might be the catcher next year unless we acquire one via trade. I think FA is pretty slim pickings there for next season.

I don't think it's a solution, but maybe Flowers has improved his value enough to go from being a huge black hole to a smaller hole.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Tyler hit well for about 6 weeks to open the season, then went dormant for two months, and now has hit well the last three weeks.

So 9 weeks good, 8 weeks bad....which is it?

I think he has shown enough promise this year to go forward with him as the starter next year, as there are not many options.

Noeti and Phegley fight for #2.

I feel better about catching than at the beginning of the year...that's progress.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Agreed.

Agreed, his defense is still atrocious and while he has been better at the plate of late, it is partially due to an incredibly high BABIP. I do think he has made SOME adjustments in his approach too (South Side Sox had a good post on this) but, I'm still dubious as to whether or not there is an permanent change.

Go Sox!!!
Old 08-05-2014, 02:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Agreed, his defense is still atrocious and while he has been better at the plate of late, it is partially due to an incredibly high BABIP.
The high BABIP is because he is hammering the ball. BABIP is a measurement, his hitting can't be the result of the measurement of his hitting.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Too hard to tell. Lets see how the season plays out. If he stays this hot and the whole problem was his eyes, then yes, give him a little more time.

One thing I have noticed... since going to the glasses... his DEFENSE seems to be improving as well.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

His catching is actually the biggest problem. Flowers is #1 in passed balls. Robin said it last year, the Sox can stick with the ups and downs of his average but they can't live with the passed balls, miss communications and stolen bases.

I don't think the Sox think he's the long term solution.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Flowers is the solution until we have a better solution. It seems like very good players aren't allowed to stay catchers for very long any more. AJ wasn't exactly praised around here for his defense.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:04 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Agreed.

His defense has been improving this season. He's never going to be great, but he's moving much better these past few months and actually blocking a few bad pitches.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-05-2014, 03:20 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

There is no one in the system, FA market will be slim and the Sox have very few trading pieces to get a catcher. I really dont know what long term means but next year, probably so.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
The high BABIP is because he is hammering the ball. BABIP is a measurement, his hitting can't be the result of the measurement of his hitting.

"Hello out there to all the folks listening tonight - and we're glad you listen but not like Glad as in a Glad Bag - that guy flew around in helicopters helping people with their sandwich containment issues - but anyway I just read where The Vulture wrote - and we do thank him for writing and encourage everybody to write something every now and then - that Tyler Flowers hitting well can't be the result of the measurement of his hitting - which may be true from the offensive side, but I actually had an ERA which went through the roof due to my ERA."

"What?"

"Here's how it happened. When I came up in the big leagues with Cleveland - the one in Ohio, not the one in Tennessee although the one in Illinois was a very pleasant place - love to go to all of the Clevelands, and hope to some day, especially the one in Australia where they play baseball but call it rugby - anyway The Cleveland Indians used to wash the players' uniforms in Wisk because it got rid of ring around the collar - now when I say that I mean the collar of a shirt, not a collar as in taking the collar for the night although oddly if somebody went oh for four and you threw a Hula Hoop around him that could be ring around the collar as well although I don't think Wisk would get rid of a Hula Hoop unless it was made out of dirt. Anyway I didn't think my uniform was as clean as it should have been and I asked the clubhouse manager to switch to different detergent. He looked at me and told me he would consider it, but when he walked away he called me a maroon - well I looked back at him and told him I didn't go to the University of Chicago - smart guys there but they just don't have too much of a baseball team - and he just looked at me again and shook his head. Anyway, for some reason he kept the Wisk locked up in a storage locker in the laundry room, and I didn't have a Wisk key, so in between games of a double header at Municipal Park - the one in Cleveland not Kansas City - I snuck my favorite detergent - ERA -into the storage locker. Well the next day my uniform didn't look any better than usual, and I was scheduled to pitch. I noticed warming up that I was starting to itch like crazy. When I took the mound to start the game I couldn't concentrate on my pitching and I gave up seven runs in a third of an inning........My ERA went up because of my ERA.......only later did I find out that the clubhouse manager saw me change out the detergents, and he put itching powder inside of my uniform....."

Last edited by KingXerxes; 08-06-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Right now, Flowers is a slightly below average hitter. For a catcher that's fine, but he really needs to improve defensively for me to see him as the long-term answer.