White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2014, 10:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Awesome, we got to see most of our garbage bullpen all in one game.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
He may be at the helm of the Sox but by no means is he an MLB manager.
Well he finally is talking about benching Dunn for konerko more. I guess now that we are past the July trade deadline and no one wants him, can we please just admit that he was a HUGE waste of money, time, and effort? That is 4 years that we can't get back and we lost almost 10% of the at bats of the ball club that could have developed someone? In fact, just waive him and play the kids.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:54 PM
WSI Personality

2014 Adam Dunn is better than 2014 Paul Konerko
Old 08-04-2014, 01:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

It's become apparent why Ventura has been and probably will be safe with Hahn. "Rockin'" Robin will not rock the boat in any way. He doesn't get mad at his players. He doesn't get mad at management. He doesn't even seem to raise an eyebrow. Ventura's postgame press conference after the game was a low point in his tenure. I'm not saying he had to rip players or throw anybody under the bus, but he didn't express any kind of reaction after another atrocious performance and losing a series at home to the lowly Twins in embarrassing fashion.

It's one thing to remain a calm leader in the eye of a storm. It's another to just sit back and accept whatever happens whenever it happens. At some point a real leader reacts to a bad situation.

It's sad to say considering what an honorable and successful career he put together as a player, but Ventura, as some said when he was first hired as a manager, is nothing but a lap dog to Reinsdorf and Hahn -- just the way they apparently like it.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:21 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestani View Post
Most Major League managers after this fiasco would be really pissed, but not Robin, he simply says, "put it behind you and go get' em tomorrow!"

Really...???
This is exactly why KW wanted Ventura. For better or worse, he's the anti-Ozzie.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
The whole bullpen should be sent on the next flight to Charlotte, on second thought make it a Greyhound.
Charlotte?

More like Birmingham.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

The Sox bullpen gave up 15 ER yesterday.

The Giants bullpen gave up 13 ER in July.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Plus, keep in mind, based on the team's and Ventura's track record, the September swoon is just around the corner. So that should be fun.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:37 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Have 5 relief pitchers ever given up 2+ runs each in the same game before? That's a feat.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Because it isn't all Rick Hahn's fault either. Plug in the injured relievers (Lindstrom, Jones, Putnam) for Rienzo, Thompson and Belisario and it doesn't look all that bad.

It's a rebuilding team. It's gonna have holes. And the Sox were hit with injuries in an area where they already had a couple holes.

The only heads that need to roll are the pitchers who are giving up all these runs.
Agreed- when you're rebuilding- you don't invest heavily in your bullpen- as evidenced by going into spring training without a closer (I don't believe Jone or Lindstrom would have been the answer- even if healthy).

The bullpen is just a scrap heap of relievers no one else wants- Guerra (waivers), Rienzo/Thompson/Surkamp (AAA/AAAA), Belisario (low value FA from Dodgers).

I think Petricka and Putnam have value (as set up men- not closing) and I think Webb is a decent prospect- other than that- nothing really there.

I think Hahn is doing a good job retooling this team with almost nothing to work with at the major league or minor league level when he took over 2 years ago.

Ventura is clearly a work in progress- but I don't think he's the reason the Sox are where they are right now- mediocre bullpens will make any manager look bad.

I still blame this guy-

2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Im going to sing it."
Old 08-04-2014, 08:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
It's become apparent why Ventura has been and probably will be safe with Hahn. "Rockin'" Robin will not rock the boat in any way. He doesn't get mad at his players. He doesn't get mad at management. He doesn't even seem to raise an eyebrow. Ventura's postgame press conference after the game was a low point in his tenure. I'm not saying he had to rip players or throw anybody under the bus, but he didn't express any kind of reaction after another atrocious performance and losing a series at home to the lowly Twins in embarrassing fashion.

It's one thing to remain a calm leader in the eye of a storm. It's another to just sit back and accept whatever happens whenever it happens. At some point a real leader reacts to a bad situation.

It's sad to say considering what an honorable and successful career he put together as a player, but Ventura, as some said when he was first hired as a manager, is nothing but a lap dog to Reinsdorf and Hahn -- just the way they apparently like it.
Tirades to the media are "false hustle" in my opinion- by all accounts Ventura gets his message delivered (where it counts) in the clubhouse.

There is ZERO help available in the minors (we already have at least 3-4 guys who should be at Charlotte)- and Putnam and Lindstrom are about to return- what is the point of ripping on AAA/AAAA guys who just plain suck? What is that going to accomplish?

Hahn seems like a very good GM- making the best of a pile of crap left behind by Williams- he signed Ventura to the extension- that's good enough for me (for now).
Old 08-04-2014, 08:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Plus, keep in mind, based on the team's and Ventura's track record, the September swoon is just around the corner. So that should be fun.
He'll have even more ****ty bullpen toys to play with. Yippee!

Old 08-04-2014, 09:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The Sox bullpen gave up 15 ER yesterday.

The Giants bullpen gave up 13 ER in July.
Walks, walks, walks, walks, walks. Bullpens - Giants 88 on the year in 322 IP, Sox 175 on the year in 335 IP.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:27 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post

Funny, I've watched Ron Washington here in Dallas never raise his voice, get all hysterical or display any kind of reaction and he's been to 2 of the past 3 World Series. And this year as the manager of the actual worst team in baseball, he's acting exactly the same as he always did before. Does that make him a bad leader?

The White Sox have guys who are not good at baseball - what good is throwing a fit to management or the media gonna do?
Old 08-04-2014, 09:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

The Sox have already completely over-hauled their bullpen from the start of the season. Belisario is the only one left from when the season started. Petricka, Putnam and Webb are keepers -- maybe Guerra. The rest can join Cleto, Veal et al. Veal, Downs and Surkamp have been abysmal as LOOGIES this season.

The good news is that the Sox have proven in past years that re-building a bullpen can be done in one off-season. When the team is ready to contend, few of the current group will be on the roster. In the meantime, it's painful at times to watch