White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2014, 07:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman219 View Post
Now I know how Cub fans feel, having a bullpen you EXPECT to blow leads left and right. An average bullpen puts this team above .500. Ventura gets a lot of the blame, but what do you expect him to do when he gives the game to the bullpen. It's like pick your poison on who's gonna blow the game today. Had a shot to sweep the Twins and blew it.
I expect Ventura to send Bellisario packing. Anything less is malfeasance.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:15 PM
WSI Personality

Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestani View Post
Most Major League managers after this fiasco would be really pissed, but not Robin, he simply says, "put it behind you and go get' em tomorrow!"

Really...???
Unfortunately Ventura has that good old boy approach and players Like DeAza, Tank, Beckham, keep making the same bonehead plays over and over again. DeAza's throw to the plate allowing both runners to move up into scoring postion keeps happing over and over again. Marching out Belisario and most of the rest of the bullpen usually nets the same L in the loss column. It gets old and I for one would like to see some of the minor leaguers come up and show what they have got.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

I just went to the Sox' MLB page; it appears the Twins broke the scoreboard.

Not much to say about the game. Even though the bullpen blew another lead, when you get it handed to you like that, all you can do is shrug and get ready for tomorrow.

FWLIW, I think Ventura does not allow the starters to go long enough when it would be prudent and safe to do so. Last night is a prime example. Eventually, that adds up to overusing, and, therefore, exposing an already bad bullpen. The result is that you lose games like yesterday and today when you felt you could have actually swept the series.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:37 PM
WSI Personality

Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
So how many games back are the Sox from the wildcard?
The Sox have a better chance catching Minnesota than a wild card berth; you can take that to the bank!
Old 08-03-2014, 07:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Wish this had happened a week ago, so that the front office wouldn't have had to think twice about people actually believing that we were "white flagging" it if we made some moves that needed to be made (like selling high on Alexei).
Old 08-03-2014, 07:51 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Most Major League managers after this fiasco would be really pissed, but not Robin, he simply says, "put it behind you and go get' em tomorrow!"

Really...???
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
He may be at the helm of the Sox but by no means is he an MLB manager.
There are plenty of questionable managing moves Robin has made that can be picked apart but jumping on him for not appearing to be pissed enough with the media is ridiculous. I'm sure him going on a tirade at a press conference would really improve our ballclub...
Old 08-03-2014, 07:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Allen View Post
The only ones I'd even remotely consider bringing back are Petricka and Putnam.
Add Daniel Webb to that list.Those 3;Petricka,Putnam,Webb.That's it.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

That bullpen is a dumpster fire.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 08-03-2014, 08:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Wish this had happened a week ago, so that the front office wouldn't have had to think twice about people actually believing that we were "white flagging" it if we made some moves that needed to be made (like selling high on Alexei).
Post of the week.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-03-2014, 08:30 PM
WSI Guru

Do I get a voucher of some kind for staying for the whole game?

That home run Arcia hit off Rienzo is probably the longest home run I've seen hit in that ballpark (in person). That was a shot right there.

I have a feeling I'm going to spend the next 10 years watching the Sox get their asses kicked by Danny Santana. The Twins seem to churn out guys who play that style, and guys who play that style seem to feast on the Sox.

I'd like to get on board with the calls for heads to roll in the bullpen, but the fact remains the rehabbing Lindstrom is the only reliever in AAA who belongs here, and the Sox have three spots that need to be filled. Thompson is gone. Rienzo and Belisario should be gone. But Lindstrom can only replace one of the three. The Sox could replace garbage with more garbage, I suppose, but that wouldn't improve the situation. It might make some people feel better, I guess, but there's not a lot that can be done right now.

I don't blame Ventura, Cooper or Thigpen. I blame the fact that these pitchers suck. Most of them will be gone next year, I'm sure. They just aren't major league relievers, and no amount of coaching can make it so, IMO.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-03-2014, 08:32 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
That assumes there was a big market for Alexei. How many contenders needed a shortstop? Detroit? You wouldn't expect the Tigers to fork over a big package of prospects to the White Sox.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:34 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:

Really...???
I'm no Robin Ventura fan, but what's the point of going off on your team after they lost by 13? They already know it was a bad game.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:35 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFanCPA View Post
I'm no Robin Ventura fan, but what's the point of going off on your team after they lost by 13? They already know it was a bad game.
Good point. The players know they sucked. The scoreboard tells them so.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:42 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post

I blame the fact that these pitchers suck. Most of them will be gone next year, I'm sure. They just aren't major league relievers, and no amount of coaching can make it so, IMO.
Then why not blame the powers-that-be that put these players on the roster, made the decision to sign them, and actually charge people admission to watch this abomination?
Old 08-03-2014, 08:48 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain54 View Post
Then why not blame the powers-that-be that put these players on the roster, made the decision to sign them, and actually charge people admission to watch this abomination?
Because it isn't all Rick Hahn's fault either. Plug in the injured relievers (Lindstrom, Jones, Putnam) for Rienzo, Thompson and Belisario and it doesn't look all that bad.

It's a rebuilding team. It's gonna have holes. And the Sox were hit with injuries in an area where they already had a couple holes.

The only heads that need to roll are the pitchers who are giving up all these runs.