White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-03-2014, 10:06 AM
tstrike2000 tstrike2000 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: 'Burbs
Posts: 6,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillMissOzzie View Post
Old timers here might remember Juan Agosto, and I know of at least two others that independently of each other, as well as myself, referred to him as Juan Disgust-o. Some nicknames are earned organically.

SMO
I remember Juan Agosto as a kid in the 80's. He had that very deliberate windup before delivering the ball to home plate. He was decent for us at times, but I was very glad when we finally got rid of him.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-03-2014, 10:31 AM
harwar harwar is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wisconsin ..
Posts: 3,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
People are mad at DeAza but that ball was hit extremely hard (like most everything was in the last two innings) and it was rising. Still a better outfielder would have had it but it was not an easy chance.
Yea, that's how i see it also .. since i've mentioned in the past that De Aza's shenanigans while playing center,were reminiscent of a rodeo clown, i suppose that i'm not giving him a pass, but that ball hit to him in left last night, was hit square and hard, and was knuckling badly .. anyone who has played the outfield, has seen how a ball can change direction in mid flight .. if the bullpen does it's job, then that play (which perhaps doesn't happen) doesn't matter..
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-03-2014, 11:55 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I went to the game last night and it was really an exciting game. I figured something out at the game. I was shocked that the Angels wouldn't take Dunn, Beckham, DeAza and Viciedo for Mike Trout in a trade. I'm sure if the White Sox had included Belisario in the package, the trade might have gotten done. Also, I heard that help is on the way. The White Sox just promoted Jared Mitchell to AAA. They're counting on him as a September call up to replace DeAza.
Note: You are not good at trolling. I'm trying to help you, as everyone here knows I can be quite the troll. Just stop.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-03-2014, 12:15 PM
PaleHoser PaleHoser is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 946
Default

The manager's job is to put players in the best position to succeed.

Although I understand that half the bullpen is on the DL, I don't think the relief pitcher who's tied for the team lead in losses in August should be used.

Looking at the picture of today's lineup, Bellisario is listed first in the list of available pitchers. If they were listed alphabetically I would understand, but is it because he's the first that comes to mind?

Read on-line today that the Sox have lost 28 games this year where they had the lead. Ugh.

My teenage son says the intro music for anyone coming out of Sox bullpen should be "TNT" by AC/DC.

Pitcher: "Watch me explode!" Fans: "Oy, Oy!"

It's hard to argue with his logic.
__________________
"It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-03-2014, 12:39 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Saw lots of dumb baseball from section 161 tonight. Beckham penciled in as the No. 2 hitter. Belisario brought in to protect a slim lead in the eighth. De Aza's botched play. Eaton's base-running blunder. ...
I understand the point you are trying to make, but Section 161 is close enough to the field that you should have seen Beckham didn't play bad baseball as a No. 2 hitter. He advanced a leadoff double to third in the first, which is the fundamental job of a No. 2 hitter. He drove in a runner from third with less than two outs, which again is solid fundamental baseball. He also had two hits, including the tie-breaking double in the eighth. He struck out to lead off the ninth before Abreu grounded out, but Beckham had a good fundamental night.

If you want to complain about seeing bad White Sox baseball, you could have gone to the top of the first when Abreu failed to get the runner in from third with less than two outs. You happened to go to a game where Beckham played better baseball than Abreu. That doesn't mean you should rip on Abreu the next time he is penciled into the lineup, but it diminishes the effectiveness of your argument that the manager was to blame for the loss by hitting Beckham second and going to the bullpen after Scott Carroll had pitched seven innings. There aren't a lot of options out of the Sox bullpen, and leaving Carroll in the game to pitch the eighth didn't seem like much of an option either.

You were watching a pretty well managed game. You can't even complain about the idiocy of the sacrifice bunt because, well executed it set up a four-run rally that gave the Sox a late two-run lead. But you also watched some players fail to execute, including Abreu and everyone who came in from the bullpen.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-03-2014, 12:51 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I understand the point you are trying to make, but Section 161 is close enough to the field that you should have seen Beckham didn't play bad baseball as a No. 2 hitter. He advanced a leadoff double to third in the first, which is the fundamental job of a No. 2 hitter. He drove in a runner from third with less than two outs, which again is solid fundamental baseball. He also had two hits, including the tie-breaking double in the eighth. He struck out to lead off the ninth before Abreu grounded out, but Beckham had a good fundamental night.

If you want to complain about seeing bad White Sox baseball, you could have gone to the top of the first when Abreu failed to get the runner in from third with less than two outs. You happened to go to a game where Beckham played better baseball than Abreu. That doesn't mean you should rip on Abreu the next time he is penciled into the lineup, but it diminishes the effectiveness of your argument that the manager was to blame for the loss by hitting Beckham second and going to the bullpen after Scott Carroll had pitched seven innings. There aren't a lot of options out of the Sox bullpen, and leaving Carroll in the game to pitch the eighth didn't seem like much of an option either.

You were watching a pretty well managed game. You can't even complain about the idiocy of the sacrifice bunt because, well executed it set up a four-run rally that gave the Sox a late two-run lead. But you also watched some players fail to execute, including Abreu and everyone who came in from the bullpen.
You have now been outed as Sox upper management.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-03-2014, 01:45 PM
SCCWS SCCWS is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Saw lots of dumb baseball from section 161 tonight. Beckham penciled in as the No. 2 hitter. Belisario brought in to protect a slim lead in the eighth. De Aza's botched play. Eaton's base-running blunder.

It's to the point where I don't blame Belisario, De Aza and Beckham anymore. They've shown time after time after time what they are. It's the team's fault for putting them in the same positions to post the same results. As a fan yelled after Belisario blew the lead, "Ventura, what did you think was going to happen?" Exactly.

And, likewise, I've seen this team allowed to be managed into the ground by Ventura for the past three years. He is what he is -- namely, a bad manager. I blame Hahn for allowing Ventura to remain in position to inflict damage to the team.

To summarize, I now blame Hahn.
You should blame Hahn. He is responsible for Belisario, De Aza and Beckham still being on the roster after the trade deadline. Ventura has to play them if they are on the roster. It is not like he played Beckham in CF, De Aza at SS and started Belisario in Sale's normal spot.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-03-2014, 03:57 PM
BainesHOF BainesHOF is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oak Park, IL
Posts: 2,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I understand the point you are trying to make, but Section 161 is close enough to the field that you should have seen Beckham didn't play bad baseball as a No. 2 hitter. He advanced a leadoff double to third in the first, which is the fundamental job of a No. 2 hitter. He drove in a runner from third with less than two outs, which again is solid fundamental baseball. He also had two hits, including the tie-breaking double in the eighth. He struck out to lead off the ninth before Abreu grounded out, but Beckham had a good fundamental night.

If you want to complain about seeing bad White Sox baseball, you could have gone to the top of the first when Abreu failed to get the runner in from third with less than two outs. You happened to go to a game where Beckham played better baseball than Abreu. That doesn't mean you should rip on Abreu the next time he is penciled into the lineup, but it diminishes the effectiveness of your argument that the manager was to blame for the loss by hitting Beckham second and going to the bullpen after Scott Carroll had pitched seven innings. There aren't a lot of options out of the Sox bullpen, and leaving Carroll in the game to pitch the eighth didn't seem like much of an option either.

You were watching a pretty well managed game. You can't even complain about the idiocy of the sacrifice bunt because, well executed it set up a four-run rally that gave the Sox a late two-run lead. But you also watched some players fail to execute, including Abreu and everyone who came in from the bullpen.
I don't care if Beckham went 5-for-5. He shouldn't be batting second. Your twisted logic defending a hitter in the .220s batting second is ludicrous. But thanks for telling us Abreu didn't get the job done last night! That surely takes Ventura off the hook!!!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-03-2014, 04:20 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
I don't care if Beckham went 5-for-5. He shouldn't be batting second. Your twisted logic defending a hitter in the .220s batting second is ludicrous. But thanks for telling us Abreu didn't get the job done last night! That surely takes Ventura off the hook!!!
Yeah, it was a pretty ludicrous post.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-03-2014, 05:39 PM
tstrike2000 tstrike2000 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: 'Burbs
Posts: 6,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
I don't care if Beckham went 5-for-5. He shouldn't be batting second. Your twisted logic defending a hitter in the .220s batting second is ludicrous. But thanks for telling us Abreu didn't get the job done last night! That surely takes Ventura off the hook!!!
Bacon sucks, period.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,930
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
He advanced a leadoff double to third in the first, which is the fundamental job of a No. 2 hitter.
Only in Ozzie-ball.
His fundamental job is to get on base. Yes, if he doesn't at least move the runner up a bag he's failed badly. But moving the runner up isn't a success on its own in most circumstances.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-04-2014, 05:34 PM
SI1020 SI1020 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deep in the heart of Dixie
Posts: 4,407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Only in Ozzie-ball.
His fundamental job is to get on base. Yes, if he doesn't at least move the runner up a bag he's failed badly. But moving the runner up isn't a success on its own in most circumstances.
In today's game when a hitter advances a runner, it's high fives all around in the dugout, like he got a home run. Not trying to rip your post. In most at bats I will agree with you.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.