White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2014, 10:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Default *Official* 8/1 Thank You, Thank You Very Much Postgame Thread

The offense bails out Sale. Who'd a thunk it?
Old 08-01-2014, 11:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Great title, Elvis has left the building.

Team effort!
Old 08-01-2014, 11:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Abreu knows how to play baseball a little bit.

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: TBD
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)

Frank Thomas, Hall of Famer. I love the sound of that.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:39 PM
WSI Prelate

To quote JB, the Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

Here's your TBGR: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/r...gory=4&id=4550

Go Sox!!!
Old 08-02-2014, 12:01 AM
WSI Guru

Loved the hustle on the basepaths in the 8th. DSNB!

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 08-02-2014, 12:09 AM
WSI Prelate

The Twins seemed to feel very comfortable at the plate tonight, but after the first, the Sox seemed so as well. This felt a bit like the Noesi start this week where he gave up six in one inning and no more, but Scherzer didn't let the Sox back in the game. The worst thing about Sale's outing today was that he could only go six. He left with the lead, and it's too bad he couldn't get the win after regrouping, but tonight the Twins scored against each of the relievers who started an inning.

On the negative side, the Sox didn't score in the first or seventh. They should have scored in the first and perhaps tried to get too much out of a limited opportunity in the seventh. On the plus side, everyone who came up to bat today in a Sox uniform got at least one hit. Seven had at least two. Abreu has now reached base 10 straight times in two straight games after going down in his last at bat in the loss in Detroit. You really don't want him to walk. You certainly don't want him getting hit, but while opposing pitchers lately have been especially careful not to throw him strikes, the White Sox were amassing at least 16 hits two games in a row. Over the last two games as a team they are hitting a shade over .400 (of course, hitting into double plays and getting picked off actually help your team batting average, but it's still a gaudy stat).

I was pretty sure the Sox were going to tie the game heading into the bottom of the eighth after giving up the lead. Konerko with his second hit tied the game, and fortunately the hits kept coming to add three more. I had hoped Ventura wouldn't take Konerko out for a pinch runner because of how the Twins were hitting tonight, looking at Perkins coming in if the Twins took the lead in the ninth and Konerko owning Perkins this year, but the continued hitting in the eighth kept an far-too-interesting Twins ninth from becoming a closing crisis.

A nice win, coming back from two deficits, including one in the eighth. Sadly, the only divisional rival the Sox gained ground against was the Twins. Even the Royals won in Oakland, 1-0 behind Guthrie.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:22 AM
WSI Guru

Nice job by Petricka. Not every save is going to be easy. He got himself into trouble, but he didn't panic, executed his pitches and got the team out of there with a good win.

Obviously, Abreu is great, but Eaton is really doing a good job setting the table lately. He's been on base a lot.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-02-2014, 01:20 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Nice job by Petricka. Not every save is going to be easy. He got himself into trouble, but he didn't panic, executed his pitches and got the team out of there with a good win.

Obviously, Abreu is great, but Eaton is really doing a good job setting the table lately. He's been on base a lot.
Eaton's recent surge has his average near .300. He is hitting over .440 since the All-Star break. Abreu is hitting over .430, and he's been pitched around whenever possible, posting an on-base percentage of nearly .500.

Unfortunately, Ramirez twice hit into double plays hitting between Abreu and Eaton on Thursday, and when he got hits in front of Abreu, he left first base open. Although Ramirez has hit well this season, the Sox haven't had a good No. 2 hitter this season except when Beckham was hitting well. Early in his days with the Sox, I used to like Ramirez as a No. 2 hitter, but he doesn't seem suited for hitting behind Eaton.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:53 AM
WSI Regular

Tyler has still been striking out a ton and walking little but at least he's getting some huge hits with those glasses.

I really like Eaton and Abreu at the top of this lineup the next few years if both stay healthy
Old 08-02-2014, 05:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Cant help falling in love with the way Eaton and Abreu have played, they both deserve fame and fortune. I got all shook up in the 9th but Petricka got out of trouble and it didnt turn into heartbreak hotel. If I can dream I could follow that dream but I still think I will be crying in the chapel.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Old 08-02-2014, 08:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Cant help falling in love with the way Eaton and Abreu have played, they both deserve fame and fortune. I got all shook up in the 9th but Petricka got out of trouble and it didnt turn into heartbreak hotel. If I can dream I could follow that dream but I still think I will be crying in the chapel.

You hit that outta the park.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 08-02-2014, 08:57 AM
WSI Personality

I was at the game and I've come to some conclusions:
1) The White Sox must not have a high opinion of Micah Johnson. Beckham looks absolutely hopeless at the plate. He doesn't look like he could hit me. I would think that Johnson would be up by now with the White Sox if they had a high opinion of him.
2) Sierra is the real deal defensively in the outfield. He made a heck of a catch going back on the ball to save a run. From where I was sitting I didn't think he had a chance in the world of catching that ball. I'm hoping the White Sox give him more playing time and lets see if he can hit.
3) I'm convinced more and more than Abreu is one of the most dangerous hitters in MLB. I'm hoping Hahn is able to get a real good cleanup hitter in the offseason. You wouldn't be able to pitch around him if we get a good hitter that's hitting behind him. Maybe the White Sox are thinking of batting A. Garcia fourth in the lineup.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I was at the game and I've come to some conclusions:
1) The White Sox must not have a high opinion of Micah Johnson. Beckham looks absolutely hopeless at the plate. He doesn't look like he could hit me. I would think that Johnson would be up by now with the White Sox if they had a high opinion of him.
2) Sierra is the real deal defensively in the outfield. He made a heck of a catch going back on the ball to save a run. From where I was sitting I didn't think he had a chance in the world of catching that ball. I'm hoping the White Sox give him more playing time and lets see if he can hit.
3) I'm convinced more and more than Abreu is one of the most dangerous hitters in MLB. I'm hoping Hahn is able to get a real good cleanup hitter in the offseason. You wouldn't be able to pitch around him if we get a good hitter that's hitting behind him. Maybe the White Sox are thinking of batting A. Garcia fourth in the lineup.

1. The easy part is bringing up Johnson, who the Sox are high on....the tougher part is dealing with Gordon. You think they would just release him this weekend? He is clearly struggling again, but I am not a bit surprised that they have not just cut him loose. He will get another month and then maybe they will sit him to look at Johnson in September.

2. Sierra is hitting over .300 as a Sox, and has all those tools. I think he definitely has to be in their plans for next year, at least as a 4th outfielder if not as a starter. Right now, I think he is a better rightfielder than Avasail, who could shift to left. That would be an outfield of Garcia, Sierra, and Eaton...three fast guys with big arms....nice.

3. Abreu is in an incredible zone right now. Keep it going...imagine if King Felix had not shut him out (0 for 3) in that one game...he would be at 40 game hitting streak and the whole baseball world would be watching him to see if he could threaten Jolting Joe....wow.

4. It is clicking in for Tyler Flowers again, just like in April...sweeettt!!
One thing about big catchers like Tyler...they can take the abuse behind the plate pretty well, and I do think that the hitting can come later with catchers who have so much on their plate. If he hits .250, he is on the club for next year! Made a great stop in the 9th to keep that from getting even more scary.

5. PK is swinging well the last month or so. Hope he goes out strong. Dunn could still be moved on waivers the next month and that would allow PK to play more...fine by me.

6. Petricka seems to have the eye of the tiger in the 9th that you need...fearlessness is a prerequisite for success as a closer.

7. Eaton is fun.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:40 AM
WSI High Priest

At least Jake didn't get into that mess by walking guys. And he kept it together mentally to get us the win. Has he been named the Closer? It might be easier on a bunch of marginal bullpen guys to not put more pressure on one of them by giving him a title.