White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 05:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
The non-waiver deadline is gone, so that "choice" is, for the most part, moot. The reality is they were always sellers, and to the extent they actually can, still should be, even solely as salary dumps. No one wanted the Sox' garbage.

Yes, kids, Chris Denorfia was worth more than Dayan Viciedo. Chris Denorfia.
Sox have a strange roster. 9 or so young players they don't want to trade and 15 players with little if any value.
The didn't have any OF vets that they could dump; only Danks (overpaid) or Alexei (they didn't want to trade) among the vet corps.
Not a trade friendly team.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Sox have a strange roster. 9 or so young players they don't want to trade and 15 players with little if any value.
The didn't have any OF vets that they could dump; only Danks (overpaid) or Alexei (they didn't want to trade) among the vet corps.
Not a trade friendly team.
I think it is a symptom of a team in transition. The next wave of veterans will be heading out soon (Dunn, Beckham, De Aza, and likely Viciedo) and the next wave of young talent will be coming in. Avisail Garcia, Micah Johnson, Marcus Semien, Carlos Rodon, etc.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 07-31-2014, 05:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I think it is a symptom of a team in transition. The next wave of veterans will be heading out soon (Dunn, Beckham, De Aza, and likely Viciedo) and the next wave of young talent will be coming in. Avisail Garcia, Micah Johnson, Marcus Semien, Carlos Rodon, etc.
Yea, but ideally you trade those guys headed out; ours were so bad that they were untradeable I suppose. De Aza should have been moved before the season.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:01 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Four( maybe 5 with Flowers) year long starting players will be basically cut with no return after the end of a season. That tells a lot about this years team.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Four( maybe 5 with Flowers) year long starting players will be basically cut with no return after the end of a season. That tells a lot about this years team.
Yes it does- and I think Ventura (while he has made mistakes) has done a nice job with this mediocre roster only a few game < .500 and still showing some fight.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Abreu is awesome.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Yes it does- and I think Ventura (while he has made mistakes) has done a nice job with this mediocre roster only a few game < .500 and still showing some fight.
I still don't want to see him managing this team when it's ready to contend.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 07-31-2014, 08:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
I still don't want to see him managing this team when it's ready to contend.
Perhaps by then, probably a couple more years, he'll have it figured out. He's doing the OJT thing in front of our eyes. (On the Job Training)

Nice work if you did it in the minors, like most managers do.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Even with maybe the best hitter and pitcher in baseball this team has overachieved so far this year. Its the future that worries me. Overachieving is one thing, contending is another.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
Abreu is awesome.

To put things in perspective:

1)He is hitting with Zero protection. Nothing in front, nothing in back.
2)It's his first go around in learning the pitchers in this league.
3)He was on the shelf for 2+ weeks.

To think that it is possible that he can improve even more, WOW.

Abreu is about to save this franchise the same way Frank Thomas did after the abysmal 80s.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Even with maybe the best hitter and pitcher in baseball this team has overachieved so far this year. Its the future that worries me. Overachieving is one thing, contending is another.
Reinsdorf will open up the purse strings in the off season and we will contend in 2015. After a 63-99 season last year I think this year has been a good stepping stone to some winning baseball in the next few years.
Reminds me of the 70-71 and 72 seasons as we went from a 56-106 record in 1970, up to 79 wins in 1971 to almost winning the division in 1972.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Reinsdorf will open up the purse strings in the off season and we will contend in 2015. After a 63-99 season last year I think this year has been a good stepping stone to some winning baseball in the next few years.
Reminds me of the 70-71 and 72 seasons as we went from a 56-106 record in 1970, up to 79 wins in 1971 to almost winning the division in 1972.
Im not even going at Reinsdorf now, there really arent many quality fa's available and the big boys will snatch up the good ones. The Sox would have to overpay a quality FA considering they could go to a immediate contender. Building a good farm system takes a long time and then there is the fact that the Sox have 1 tradeable assest that has any worth. I dont still see how the Sox can make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I don't think the White Sox are underachieving at all. They would be contending if so many things had not gone wrong with their pitching. Even the best pitcher in baseball missed a month.

If anyone suggested in March that Hector Noesi and Scott Carroll would be part of the starting rotation coming out of the All-Star break, I missed it. I certainly expected more from Nate Jones, among others, this year. The Sox have used 23 pitchers this year. They have started eight. Lindstrom and Belisario alone have blown half as many closing leads than they have saves.

When you look at how many games the White Sox lost because of ineffective relief pitching, how many games they lost where the margin was no greater than the number runners they left on third after getting him there with less than two outs, I don't think they have overachieved at all.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I don't think the White Sox are underachieving at all. They would be contending if so many things had not gone wrong with their pitching. Even the best pitcher in baseball missed a month.

If anyone suggested in March that Hector Noesi and Scott Carroll would be part of the starting rotation coming out of the All-Star break, I missed it. I certainly expected more from Nate Jones, among others, this year. The Sox have used 23 pitchers this year. They have started eight. Lindstrom and Belisario alone have blown half as many closing leads than they have saves.

When you look at how many games the White Sox lost because of ineffective relief pitching, how many games they lost where the margin was no greater than the number runners they left on third after getting him there with less than two outs, I don't think they have overachieved at all.
This team has and had a rag tag pitching staff except for their 1 and 2 all year. Relief staffs are hit and miss every year, this years its been a miss. They have 5 starting players that arent worth a bag of balls and to be this close to .500, I call that overachieving, if you dont think so thats your prerogative.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Good road trip.