White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 02:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
And they're even more likely to get hurt just in the act of pitching, but pitchers have to pitch and they have to cover 1st base sometimes, that's part of the job, but they don't have to be exposed to baserunning so it's not really a fair comparison.

I'm trying to think of the last time a pitcher was used as a PR in either league. It can't happen more than a few times per season. And there's a reason for that.

It's certainly not done as frequently as it used to, but given the limited flexibility the Sox have with their roster, I think they should consider it. FWIW, Bob Gibson was used as a pinch runner 55 times in his career, Tom Seaver 18 times, Greg Maddux 10 times. Three of the best pitchers of all-time (that I looked up) risked life and limb on the bases.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:58 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
It's certainly not done as frequently as it used to, but given the limited flexibility the Sox have with their roster, I think they should consider it. FWIW, Bob Gibson was used as a pinch runner 55 times in his career, Tom Seaver 18 times, Greg Maddux 10 times. Three of the best pitchers of all-time risked life and limb on the bases.
How did Greg Maddux appear as a pinch runner 10 times in his career when he appeared in 744 career games, 740 of them as a starter?

EDIT - Nevermind, I see that 744 number is just the number of games he appeared in as a pitcher, question answered
Old 07-28-2014, 03:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
How did Greg Maddux appear as a pinch runner 10 times in his career when he appeared in 744 career games, 740 of them as a starter?

According to Baseball-reference.com he appeared in 10 games as a pinch runner (look under the advanced fielding stats)
Old 07-28-2014, 03:02 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
According to Baseball-reference.com he appeared in 10 games as a pinch runner (look under the advanced fielding stats)
I gotcha, I see that now, ha, 8 of those PR appearances came in his first 3 years as a pro with the Cubs. YOU WANT TO EMULATE THOSE GUYS???
Old 07-28-2014, 03:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Joel Horlen pinch ran a lot and if I remember correctly every time Smoky Burgess got on base a pinch runner was sent in, usually a pitcher. Paul is like Smoky.
And Gary Peters was used many times as a pinch hitter as was Early Wynn.
Pierce was used as a pinch runner 31 times in his career with the Sox.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:14 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
And Gary Peters was used many times as a pinch hitter as was Early Wynn.
Pierce was used as a pinch runner 31 times in his career with the Sox.
Different times, man, Billy Pierce also had over 1,000 at bats in his career and reached base over 250 times.

John Danks has had less than 30 plate appearances in his career and has reached base 3 times.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Joel Horlen pinch ran a lot and if I remember correctly every time Smoky Burgess got on base a pinch runner was sent in, usually a pitcher. Paul is like Smoky.

Horlen pinch ran 50 times in his career -- 27 times in one season..
Old 07-28-2014, 03:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Different times, man, Billy Pierce also had over 1,000 at bats in his career and reached base over 250 times.

John Danks has had less than 30 plate appearances in his career and has reached base 3 times.

You are correct. None of the pitchers on the Sox staff has much experience as a runner. But TEACH/COACH THEM!! It's running the bases -- they've all done it during college, high school etc. Left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot etc.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:22 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
You are correct. None of the pitchers on the Sox staff has much experience as a runner. But TEACH/COACH THEM!! It's running the bases -- they've all done it during college, high school etc. Left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot etc.
I personally prefer they let the pitchers focus on pitching and get a real bench and one not weighed down by the fact that we have essentially 3-4 players on the roster who should only realistically be playing 1B or DH.

It's also obviously more than being able to just run, I'm sure any of the Sox pitchers could handle just running from base to base with their head down, but it's also about being situationally aware of how to run the bases well. Regardless of how hard you work guys on the fundamentals of baserunning, if they are not doing it with any regularity in actual game situations, they will make mental mistakes that, at best, will cost the teams outs and, at worst, will result in injury.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Most everyone can run around the bases, but their lack of experience batting and being on the basepaths will show. Besides, does anyone know how fast they are? They will most likely in reality be slower than their speed because there is no way to really get them up to speed about baserunning. Most pitchers, even in the NL where they hit, are station to station even if they are pretty quick. If a pitcher got hurt or made a baserunning blunder, it wouldn't be Robin did what he had to do, it would be why did Ventura use a pitcher to pinch run? What an idiot.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:25 PM
WSI High Priest

AL managers are afraid of the reaction of the press and fans. A pitcher pinch runs in the AL and is injured all hell will break out. Yet, in the NL pitchers are on the bases and no one thinks anything of it.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I personally prefer they let the pitchers focus on pitching and get a real bench and one not weighed down by the fact that we have essentially 3-4 players on the roster who should only realistically be playing 1B or DH.

No doubt! But this is the price you pay for the Paul Konerko Farewell Tour (among other reasons).
Old 07-28-2014, 03:30 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
No doubt! But this is the price you pay for the Paul Konerko Farewell Tour (among other reasons).
All the more reason to not get worked out up over 1 loss in 4 games; this has always essentially been a throw-away season, the Sox have basically been playing this entire season with 24 guys, we all knew it would haunt the team every now and then and Sunday just happened to be one of those days.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Part of the problem is the pitchers being limited to so many innings as starters are usually done after 100 pitches, this means more relief pitchers and less position players on the roster. The Sox usually carry 12 pitchers, sometimes 13, after the starting lineups that leaves 3 or 4 position players with one being the spare catcher which really limits what a manager can do. I'm surprised we aren't seeing more pitchers used as pinch runners.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
all the more reason to not get worked out up over 1 loss in 4 games; this has always essentially been a throw-away season, the sox have basically been playing this entire season with 24 guys, we all knew it would haunt the team every now and then and sunday just happened to be one of those days.

i'm not worked up!!