White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2014, 08:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Buerhle, a great teammate.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_tor&c_id=tor

Still breaks my heart that he could not finish his career on the Southside.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-26-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:09 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_tor&c_id=tor

Still breaks my heart that he could not finish his career on the Southside.
I wonder if front office people see him on highlights, etc, and are filled with regret. Maybe they just think they did what they needed to do?
Old 07-29-2014, 12:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisk4ever View Post
I wonder if front office people see him on highlights, etc, and are filled with regret. Maybe they just think they did what they needed to do?
I mean, he wasn't worth the salary he got. He had a great start to the year, but he is regressing to his norms. No way we could match that salary.

That said, no doubt he is one of the best men in all of baseball. A real class act. I have a friend involved in the Pit Bull charity his wife and he chair down near St. Louis, and they are always awesome.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I mean, he wasn't worth the salary he got. He had a great start to the year, but he is regressing to his norms. No way we could match that salary.

That said, no doubt he is one of the best men in all of baseball. A real class act. I have a friend involved in the Pit Bull charity his wife and he chair down near St. Louis, and they are always awesome.
They could have easily afforded him. They gave Danks the money, and there is no salary cap in baseball.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzourah View Post
They could have easily afforded him. They gave Danks the money, and there is no salary cap in baseball.
Danks was probably the right call at the time, no one could predict his shoulder injury.

I am not saying they could not afford it, I am saying Mark Buehrle is not worth nearly 15 million per year for 4 years.

From 2008-2011 John Danks averaged 4.7 WAR, Buehrle averaged 4.3. Danks is 6 years younger and looked to be just entering his prime.+

If you want to hammer them on hindsight, sure. Otherwise, if you are able to predict baseball injuries accurately, you will be a very rich man.

The Sox made a baseball decision with their brains that did not work out. It happens to all teams. The minute Rick Hahn or Kenny Williams start thinking with their heart and not the brain, they should be fired.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:25 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Danks was probably the right call at the time, no one could predict his shoulder injury.

I am not saying they could not afford it, I am saying Mark Buehrle is not worth nearly 15 million per year for 4 years.

From 2008-2011 John Danks averaged 4.7 WAR, Buehrle averaged 4.3. Danks is 6 years younger and looked to be just entering his prime.+

If you want to hammer them on hindsight, sure. Otherwise, if you are able to predict baseball injuries accurately, you will be a very rich man.

The Sox made a baseball decision with their brains that did not work out. It happens to all teams. The minute Rick Hahn or Kenny Williams start thinking with their heart and not the brain, they should be fired.
Precisely.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:

Kenny Williams repeatedly thought with his heart rather than his brain. Ken Griffey Jr. past his prime, Roberto Alomar twice, getting into public fights with both Frank Thomas and Ozzie.

Buerhle is the type of pitcher who ages well, and who probably could have been locked up earlier for less had the front office decided to do so.

As far as "worth" goes he is 13 in WAR for MLB pitchers. And he was at 3.5 WAR (same as this year thus far) his first year in Miami as well. I think that he has earned his $14 million per year contract in the baseball economy.

Guessing right is the front office's job, and they were wrong in this instance.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Kenny Williams repeatedly thought with his heart rather than his brain. Ken Griffey Jr. past his prime, Roberto Alomar twice, getting into public fights with both Frank Thomas and Ozzie.

Buerhle is the type of pitcher who ages well, and who probably could have been locked up earlier for less had the front office decided to do so.

As far as "worth" goes he is 13 in WAR for MLB pitchers. And he was at 3.5 WAR (same as this year thus far) his first year in Miami as well. I think that he has earned his $14 million per year contract in the baseball economy.

Guessing right is the front office's job, and they were wrong in this instance.
I mean, that is false. Griffey filled a hole in the OF, and wasn't terrible for us. The Thomas and Ozzie thing mean nothing, he made the right choice on both to let them both go.

He has averaged about 3.3 WAR since signing his contract. Nothing spectacular.

Sorry, but you are incorrect here. You put yourself in a position to succeed and hope for the best. The Sox did that, they bet on the rising star over the aging veteran. The star got hurt, its sports, it happens. The exact same thing happened to the Bulls and Rose. They didn't make the wrong move by signing him to a long-term deal, even if his contract is totally unmovable today because of his injury history.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I mean, that is false. Griffey filled a hole in the OF, and wasn't terrible for us. The Thomas and Ozzie thing mean nothing, he made the right choice on both to let them both go.
He filled that hole mighty good, since he was fat and out of shape. Hit .270, no power, we would have wound up the same with Wise and Anderson.

All this to go into the HOF wearing a White Sox hat.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:42 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:

Nobody here knows that but I doubt that would have happened. According to Buerhle he went to Sox after the miami offer looking for a match which sounds like there was never a chance for a hometown discount. The Sox then told him, see ya.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:48 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Nobody here knows that but I doubt that would have happened. According to Buerhle he went to Sox after the miami offer looking for a match which sounds like there was never a chance for a hometown discount. The Sox then told him, see ya.
And supposedly Reinsdorf told him to take the Miami contract and wished him well.

As others said, the Sox gambled on Danks only improving as he entered his prime, and instead he got hurt and declined. **** happens.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

I feel like the Buehrle to Florida decision/saga gets debated weekly. Sticking to the thread topic, this is a great story. Buehrle was and is a great teammate.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:19 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
He filled that hole mighty good, since he was fat and out of shape. Hit .270, no power, we would have wound up the same with Wise and Anderson.

All this to go into the HOF wearing a White Sox hat.
First of all, Griffey was replacing Swisher, who was batting .190 or something obscene. Wise had replaced Quentin. Second, .270 is not a bad average. I'm surprised in this day and age when guys get away like Dunn has, batting .200, that anyone would say .270 is bad. Third, I'm guessing Kenny knew what kind of "shape" Griffey was in when he made the trade. Fourth, the Sox gave up a bucket of balls for him in Nick Massett. There was nothing wrong with that trade, and it was cool to see him in a Sox uni to boot.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 07-29-2014, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
First of all, Griffey was replacing Swisher, who was batting .190 or something obscene. Wise had replaced Quentin. Second, .270 is not a bad average. I'm surprised in this day and age when guys get away like Dunn has, batting .200, that anyone would say .270 is bad. Third, I'm guessing Kenny knew what kind of "shape" Griffey was in when he made the trade. Fourth, the Sox gave up a bucket of balls for him in Nick Massett. There was nothing wrong with that trade, and it was cool to see him in a Sox uni to boot.
Swisher had the same ops and was better defensively at that point. We also started him at lead off.

Griffey added nothing, and it was "payroll" we couldn't afford to pay others, which is the revisionist history of why Buerhle was let go.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:09 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Swisher had the same ops and was better defensively at that point. We also started him at lead off.
Swisher was benched he was such a mess.

Quote:
Griffey added nothing, and it was "payroll" we couldn't afford to pay others, which is the revisionist history of why Buerhle was let go.
Griffey's salary was for two months, and the Reds threw in a bunch of money. This is silly.