White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2014, 01:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwny View Post
As much as I hated the Yanks, Mel Allen was a joy to listen to broadcasting a game. He actually turned me into a sox fan when I was 11 yrs. old.
How about that?
Old 07-29-2014, 01:47 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Back in the transistor radio days of my youth I would occasionally tune in at night to Harry Caray on KMOX. It was a pleasure to listen to him call a game, and he was always a homer. Harry, a native of St. Louis loved his Cardinals. He would have stayed there for the duration but was fired after the 1969 season for reasons that we shall not go into here. I'm sorry, I mean you no disrespect, but you've really missed the boat here. You can like him or not. We now live in the era of the Dewayne Staats and Len Kasper school of broadcasting. In his prime Harry was considered to be among the elite PBP men in the game. Guys like Caray, Bob Prince and Mel Allen (my favorite) weren't just calling a MLB game. They were forces of nature.
I think Harry Caray brought alot to baseball. I grew up listening to him and as a kid I didn't think there was a better announcer. I agree, these announcers today are pretty network friendly which makes me miss guy's like Harry Caray even more. In my post #5, I wasn't trying to say that disco demolition is what made Harry Caray a great announcer, I was just putting in a tidbit that may have been a remembered moment in his career. In retrospect, I didn't need to put anything because everyone here knows what kind of announcer he was. I never minded that he drank during games but if somebody did that now, the guy would be fired on the spot. It sucks we live in a politcally correct world but we do.

I don't think Harry Kalas or Marty Brennaman are in The Hall of Fame because of famous moments in baseball either. I think them and everyone on the list is in because of their dedication to baseball. I actually learned alot from that list. I'm kinda looking forward to who goes in for the 2015 election. I think Hawk Harrelson has a good chance.

I personally like that 1 announcer gets elected each year. I do agree with T Dog though that in reality only a handful of these guys probably really deserve it. I would put Harry Caray on that Mt. Rushmore of announcers.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
How about that?
Good one.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:27 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Who is this Harry Carey you speak of? You obviously know little about the man who announced baseball for over 50 years. His career in radio goes back to 1944 when he went to work for hometown KXOK in St. Louis. Caray would write his own copy, conduct news interviews, and write and present editorials on the station, and he had a regular sports talk program as well. He began announcing St. Louis Cardinal games in 1945. Caray also called football (Missouri Tigers), ice hockey (St. Louis Flyers), basketball (Saint Louis Billikens, St. Louis Hawks, and Boston Celtics ) in the 1940s, 50s and '60s. Additionally, he broadcast eight Cotton Bowl games (195864, 1966) on network radio. He worked the 1964, 67, and 68 World Series for the Cardinals. In fact his greatest, most creative period was his 25 year tenure with the Cardinals. He more than deserves his Ford Frick award and all you can babble about is Disco Demolition.
Agreed. Unfortunately, I did not hear him as a Cardinal announcer as I was too young to follow baseball in the 1960s but remember him his years with the White Sox fondly. I enjoyed his announcing until he moved across town.

I have had a chance to acquire a bunch of his radio broadcasts from his years with the Cardinals (through a company that is licensed by MLB) and it gave me goosebumps listening to a game from 1962 between the Cards and Giants, Marichal vs Gibson. He also did the 1957 All-Star game and it was very cool hearing him announce players like Musial, Mantle and Ted Williams.

I've read KMOX was a very powerful station and could be heard throughout the entire midwest. Millions grew up listening to him.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sorry but it's laughable those arguing Harry Caray wasn't a Hall of Fame announcer. The Cub years were just the long, slow fade. Besides what others have already detailed regarding his career, he was one of the people most identifiable with baseball who ever lived, how could he not be a hall of famer?

As for the OP, I don't see either as HOFers, but I'd think a stronger argument could be made for Harrelson just because he's been such a long time stalwart within a single organization. Love him or hate him, he has had more impact on the Sox than most broadcasters have on a team.

Last edited by TheVulture; 08-30-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Sorry but it's laughable those arguing Harry Caray wasn't a Hall of Fame announcer. The Cub years were just the long, slow fade. Besides what others have already detailed regarding his career, he was one of the people most identifiable with baseball who ever lived, how could he not be a hall of famer?

As for the OP, I don't see either as HOFers, but I'd think a stronger argument could be made for Harrelson just because he's been such a long time stalwart within a single organization. Love him or hate him, he has had more impact on the Sox than most broadcasters have on a team.
I don't think anyone said that Harry Caray shouldn't be in The Hall of Fame. There was a big hurrah about my mis-spelling of his name and disco demolition but I would be surprised if anyone didn't think he was a Hall of Fame announcer.

I think Harrelson will make it before Stone but I really do think Stone is a much better announcer. I think once Harrelson starts staying home, he might even be missed more which could elevate his chances for The Hall of Fame but it also will help Stone because he will finally get to call a game without having Harrelson cut him off everytime Stone brings a interesting tidbit to the game. Stone will get way more recognition once Harrelson leaves.