White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2014, 12:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
Name one moment in baseball history which Harry Caray was part of that was more memorable than disco demolition.
Harry Caray told me in 1972 that his greatest thrill as an announcer was doing the 1951 playoff game between the Giants and Cardinals that ended with Bobby Thompson's "shot heard around the world." Granted that was a few years before disco demolition.

Granted, the sound you hear from the 1951 game is Russ Hodges, but at the same time, I've never heard Harry Caray in any of the pieces I've seen on the disco demolition thing, which is really only an embarrassing footnote in baseball history.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Harry Caray told me in 1972 that his greatest thrill as an announcer was doing the 1951 playoff game between the Giants and Cardinals that ended with Bobby Thompson's "shot heard around the world." Granted that was a few years before disco demolition.

Granted, the sound you hear from the 1951 game is Russ Hodges, but at the same time, I've never heard Harry Caray in any of the pieces I've seen on the disco demolition thing, which is really only an embarrassing footnote in baseball history.
Interesting about Caray being at the 51 game. But being a spectator, doesn't really give him a right to use that moment as part of his resume. I think you would have to agree with me on this.

Wasn't Harry Caray on the field pleading fans to go back to their seats during disco demolition? I agree it was a embarrising part of baseball but it's still a famous moment.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:44 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Did he even work a World Series game?
Of course he did. Harry called several World Series for NBC in the 1960's, including Bob Gibson's 17-strikeout game in 1968.

Quote:
Name one moment in baseball history which Harry Caray was part of that was more memorable than disco demolition.
See above. Or watch it for yourself here.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:03 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kba View Post
Of course he did. Harry called several World Series for NBC in the 1960's, including Bob Gibson's 17-strikeout game in 1968.

See above. Or watch it for yourself here.
The 17 strikeout game is a classic but I didn't realize Harry Caray was even part of that game so I still would give the nod to disco demolition as his famous moment.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:13 PM
WSI Personality

Icon11

Quote:
The 17 strikeout game is a classic but I didn't realize Harry Caray was even part of that game so I still would give the nod to disco demolition as his famous moment.
It was Bill Veeck on the field pleading with fans, not Harry.

I know this is sacrilegious to say around these parts, but ask Joe Baseball Fan for his most memorable Harry Caray moment and I promise the vast majority will say something Cubs related. 1984 division clincher would be my guess, or maybe something from 89.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:58 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
It was Bill Veeck on the field pleading with fans, not Harry.

I know this is sacrilegious to say around these parts, but ask Joe Baseball Fan for his most memorable Harry Caray moment and I promise the vast majority will say something Cubs related. 1984 division clincher would be my guess, or maybe something from 89.
I agree with you on that because I remember Harry Caray as more of a Cub. All I'm saying is Harry Caray never had a Russ Hodges kinda call or as far as I know, never called a major milestone. In my original post I said you could arguably say the disco thing might be his most memorable moment. yet I get ridiculed for saying so. But at the same time nobody here has really mentioned a more memorable Harry Carey moment. I don't think Gibson's game was something Harry Carey was ever famous for nor was the Bobby Thomson homerun...although I do think it's cool he was at that game. I liked Carey as a announcer and I think he deserves to be a Ford Frick winner but I also feel Steve Stone and Hawk Harrelson should be considered too.

What I don't understand is why Phil Rizzuto, and Ralph Kiner aren't in? Is it because they are already members of the Hall of Fame as players? They were probably a few of the most beloved announcers of alltime.

There's quite a few announcers that deserve consideration...
Richie Ashburn..longtime Phillies announcer...deceased
Skip Carey...Braves announcer...deceased
Vince Lloyd..Cubs and Sox announcer...deceased
Joe Nuxhall...Reds announcer for 38 years....deceased
Herb Score...Indians announcer for 34 years...deceased

All these guys above are worthy but since they are all deceased, I would rather see the award go to a living person.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Interesting about Caray being at the 51 game. But being a spectator, doesn't really give him a right to use that moment as part of his resume. I think you would have to agree with me on this.

Wasn't Harry Caray on the field pleading fans to go back to their seats during disco demolition? I agree it was a embarrising part of baseball but it's still a famous moment.
Harry Caray was working as a broadcaster at the 1951 game. At least, that's what he told me. The game was played before I was born and my father, a Dodgers fan who might have been listening to Red Barber's call, was actually in Boot Camp at the time, having joined the Navy because he didn't want to die on a hill in Korea.

I was living in Arizona at the time of disco demolition. I saw no mention of Harry Caray in the extensive national coverage of the event, and I have never seen Harry Caray mentioned in association with it since. I will have to take your word for Harry Caray's movements the night of disco demolition.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:34 PM
WSI Personality

Default Harry

Quote:
Stan Musial's 3000th hit at Wrigley
Old 07-25-2014, 02:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Harry Caray was working as a broadcaster at the 1951 game. At least, that's what he told me. The game was played before I was born and my father, a Dodgers fan who might have been listening to Red Barber's call, was actually in Boot Camp at the time, having joined the Navy because he didn't want to die on a hill in Korea.

I was living in Arizona at the time of disco demolition. I saw no mention of Harry Caray in the extensive national coverage of the event, and I have never seen Harry Caray mentioned in association with it since. I will have to take your word for Harry Caray's movements the night of disco demolition.
I was too young for disco demolition, I just remember the ESPN segment on it and Harry Carey is shown several times in interviews and they also showed him trying to calm the crowd down. I thought he was on the field but another poster is right about Veeck being the one on the field.

I think Russ Hodges deserves a Ford C. Frick award but I always wondered if that Dodgers fan never recorded his famous call, would he be as famous as he is. He got kinda lucky that a fan recorded his call. Back then baseball didn't record games.

I don't know why Harry Carey would be in the booth with Russ Hodges but if true, that's pretty interesting. I have no reason not to believe it.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

New York Giants vs. Brooklyn Dodgers. The Cardinals were already on the golf course when that game was being played.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:54 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxrme View Post
Stan Musial's 3000th hit at Wrigley
I gotta be honest with ya, I hear the Jack Brickhouse call of Ernie Banks 500th homerun, the Harry Kalas call of Mike Schmidt's 500th homerun. Honestly I would be surprised if Harry Carey even made the call. Jack Buck probably made the call.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:13 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I agree with you on that because I remember Harry Caray as more of a Cub. All I'm saying is Harry Caray never had a Russ Hodges kinda call or as far as I know, never called a major milestone. In my original post I said you could arguably say the disco thing might be his most memorable moment. yet I get ridiculed for saying so. But at the same time nobody here has really mentioned a more memorable Harry Carey moment.
Disco Demolition was before my time, but it didn't occur to me that Harry was even there. (I'm not disputing that he was, but given that I didn't know he was kind of undermines in my mind the notion that it was his most "memorable" moment.)

I can't really think of One Defining Moment in Harry's career -- when I think Harry Caray, I think a montage of Holy Cow, TMOTTBG, "Cubs Win!" etc.

Likewise, it wasn't until Mark Buehrle's perfect game in 2009 that I could have given you One Defining Moment in Hawk's career -- prior to that, his career was just a collection of cliches and homerism. (I say that as a Hawk fan, btw.)
Old 07-25-2014, 03:23 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
Disco Demolition was before my time, but it didn't occur to me that Harry was even there. (I'm not disputing that he was, but given that I didn't know he was kind of undermines in my mind the notion that it was his most "memorable" moment.)

I can't really think of One Defining Moment in Harry's career -- when I think Harry Caray, I think a montage of Holy Cow, TMOTTBG, "Cubs Win!" etc.

Likewise, it wasn't until Mark Buehrle's perfect game in 2009 that I could have given you One Defining Moment in Hawk's career -- prior to that, his career was just a collection of cliches and homerism. (I say that as a Hawk fan, btw.)
Like I said before, I was also too young for the game and I'm just going by that ESPN segment. If people who actually witnessed the game say that Piersall and Gleason played a bigger part, then I have no reason to not believe this. I personally have always heard about Harry Carey playing a big part of calming fans down but I'm not gonna argue with guy's who were actually there. It is kinda funny in the Youtube video, Harry Carey catches a foul ball with that big net he always had in the first game of disco demolition.

I also would say the perfect game was Harrelsons defining moment and Steve Stone's big moment probably would be the Bartman game.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I also would say the perfect game was Harrelsons defining moment and Steve Stone's big moment probably would be the Bartman game.

Was Stone doing the radio when the cubs blew the 6th game of Nlcs?
Old 07-25-2014, 03:58 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Was Stone doing the radio when the cubs blew the 6th game of Nlcs?
Yeah, Bartman was actually listening to Steve Stone on a 5 second time delay when the play happened. You need to watch that 30 for 30 "Catching Hell" about that Bartman game.