White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2014, 09:59 PM
WSI Personality

Default Who is more of a Hall of Fame announcer?

Who do you think should be elected into The Broadcasters Hall of Fame first. Hawk Harrelson or Steve Stone? I think both of them will eventually get in. I personally think Steve Stone is more deserving but I can't imagine him getting in before Hawk. Actually that would be very uncomfortable listening to Hawk start out a telecast with "My partner Hall of Fame announcer Steve Stone".

I was thinking about this as I was watching the Sox game. Steve Stone had mentioned that Hawk Harrelson is in Cooperstown for the Frank Thomas induction. It also makes me wonder if Hawk is out there also trying to garner Hall of Fame attention for himself.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:04 PM
WSI Personality

Icon16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
Who do you think should be elected into The Broadcasters Hall of Fame first. Hawk Harrelson or Steve Stone? I think both of them will eventually get in. I personally think Steve Stone is more deserving but I can't imagine him getting in before Hawk. Actually that would be very uncomfortable listening to Hawk start out a telecast with "My partner Hall of Fame announcer Steve Stone".

I was thinking about this as I was watching the Sox game. Steve Stone had mentioned that Hawk Harrelson is in Cooperstown for the Frank Thomas induction. It also makes me wonder if Hawk is out there also trying to garner Hall of Fame attention for himself.
I can't imagine either one as Hall of Fame Broadcasters.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwhitesox
i can't imagine either one as hall of fame broadcasters.
+1
Old 07-24-2014, 11:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Ken Harrelson was interviewed on the Giants flagship station during the Giants' trip to the Cell. The host said Harrelson was nominated for the Ford C. Frick Award, which isn't exactly being in the Hall of Fame, but is an annual announcer's award from the Hall of Fame. Duane Kuiper was also nominated, I understand, and Steve Stone is a better at baseball broadcasting, even if Kuiper has bragging rights, one at least, against Stone from his playing days. Nominees also included Duane Stats, who never impressed me.

There are a few announcers who belong in the Hall of Fame, but really not so many after Red Barber and Vin Scully. There aren't enough Hall of Fame-quality announcers to be naming one every year. But if you're talking about the criteria for the award, recognition from the Hall of Fame, Harrelson and Steve Stone are more qualified than some who are being nominated, probably some who have won. Tim McCarver and Milo Hamilton have won the award and are probably referred to as "Hall of Fame announcers." Felo Ramirez won the award for doing Spanish play-by play of Marlins games before the Marlins were even in existence for a decade.

In any case, I wouldn't think it outrageous if Harrelson or Stone won the award. They're both more tolerable than Tim McCarver.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:25 AM
WSI Personality

Past winners of the Ford C. Frick Award
1978-Red Barber Announced for Reds, Dodgers and Yankees from 1934-1966.
1978 Mel Allen-Voice of the Yankees for many years. Also did "This Week in Baseball" in early 80's.
1979 Bob Elson- Exclusive Whitesox announcer 1946-1970, missed out calling 59 WS because NBC president didn't like him.
1980 Russ Hodges-Called the Bobby Thomson homerun in 51
1981 Ernie Harwell-Longtime Tiger announcer. I never knew he left Detroit to announce for the Angels for one season in 1992.
1982 Vin Sculley-Greatest announcer of alltime. He's been announcing since there were still living Civil War Veterans. 1950-current.
1983 Jack Brickhouse-Cubs announcer 1948-1981
1984 Curt Gowdy-Redsox announcer and NBC announcer. Notable called games for Gowdy: Ted Williams final homerun and the famous 1968 Heidi game.
1985 Buck Canal-Spanish announcer for Mets and Yankees during 1970's
1986 Bob Prince-Pirates announcer 1948-1975. Returned for 3 innings for Pirates in 1985 and they scored the 5th most runs in a inning in franchise history.
1987 Jack Buck-Cardinals announcer. Called the Kirk Gibson homerun in 1988 which sometimes gets confused with the Vin Sculley call.
1988 Lindsey Nelson-Mets announcer for 17 years, also a football announcer
1989 Harry Caray-Cardinals, Athletics, Whitesox and Cubs announcer. Most remembered moment arguably could be disco demolition.
1990 By Saam-Famous Philadelphia announcer for Phillies and Athletics. He called the 1959 Whitesox World Series for NBC. Ironically he never called a winner in Philadelphia, although Richie Ashburn let him call the final outs in the 1976 Division clinching game for the Phillies.
1991 Joe Garagiola-NBC announcer, called several WS games
1992 Milo Hamilton-announcer for Pirates, Cubs, Braves, Astros. Famous for calling Aarons 715th homerun
1993 Chuck Thompson-Orioles announcer, remembered for his call of the 1960 Mazeroski homerun
1994 Bob Murphy-50 years of broadcasting, famous for calling Mets games from 1962-2003. Called Maris 60th homerun
1995 Bob Wolff-Longest running announcer in tv and radio history. Called the Don Larson perfect game in 56
1996 Herb Carneal-Longtime Twins announcer. Announcer from 1957-2007. Orioles and Twins
1997 Jimmy Dudley-best known for play by play of the Indians 1948-1968. Ex Cubs and Whitesox announcer for a few seasons.
1998 Jaime Jarrin-Spanish broadcaster for Dodgers. Started his career in 1958 for them
1999 Arch McDonald-Longtime Washington Senators announcer during some dreadful seasons for them. Sometimes re-created games for Senator fans at a drugstore 3 blocks from Whitehouse.
2000 Marty Brennaman-Reds announcer since 1974. Called Pete Rose's record breaking hit 4192.
2001 Felo Ramirez-has been announcing since 1949. Boxing expert and Marlins announcer.
2002 Harry Kalas-Phillies announcer 1971-2009. Native Chicagoan. Called the first and last games at Veterans Stadium. Most memorable call may have been Mike Schmidts 500th homerun.
2003 Bob Uecker-Longtime Brewers announcer. Once said his biggest baseball thrill was watching a Phillies fan fall from the upper deck. Also once said that a homerun he hit off of Sandy Koufax should have kept Koufax out of Hall of Fame.
2004 Lon Simmons-Giants announcer, famous for his Joe Montana to John Taylor call.
2005 Jerry Coleman-Padres announcer 1972-until his death 2014. Ex Marine and MLB player.
2006 Gene Elston-announced a short time with Astros. Called Nolan Ryans 5th no hitter. ex Cubs announcer for a few years.
2007 Denny Matthews-Royals announcer since teams inception in 1969.
2008 Dave Niehaus-Mariners announcer in their inaugural season. 1977-2010. Considered one of the greatest announcers.
2009 Tony Kubek-worked over a dozen WS games.
2010 Jon Miller-ESPN announcer. Called Barry Bonds record breaking 756th homerun
2011 Dave Van Horne-32 years with Expos and currently with Marlins. Broadcast the Expos last game.
2012 Tim McCarver-Kind of a Network guy. Holds record for calling most consecutive WS. Good announcer while with the Mets.
2013 Tom Cheek-Blue Jays announcer 1977 to 2004. Famous for his "Touch em all Joe!" homerun call in 93 WS.
2014 Eric Nadel-Rangers announcer since 1979

Last edited by chicagowhitesox1; 07-25-2014 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:10 AM
WSI Regular

I don't think Stoney is HOF good, but he's a good, competent announcer. Hawk, while I'm not a basher, is nowhere near HOF in any respect.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:18 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
1989 Harry Caray-Cardinals, Athletics, Whitesox and Cubs announcer. Most remembered moment arguably could be disco demolition.
Really? Piersall was in the booth with Bill Gleason when the riot started. I can't remember anything Harry said that night.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:10 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kba View Post
Really? Piersall was in the booth with Bill Gleason when the riot started. I can't remember anything Harry said that night.
I agree that is just a ridiculous comment. Caray was the voice of major league baseball for the west and south prior to expansion while announcing for the cardinals. He created many baseball fans as a result of his great announcing.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:10 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
1983 Jack Brickhouse-Cubs announcer 1948-1981
,White Sox announcer 1948-1967
Old 07-25-2014, 12:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Hawk may not be in the Hall of Fame, but he has a spot reserved in the Guinness Book of World Records for most goofy catch phrases used by an announcer both in 1 game and over a career.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:21 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Arguably, indeed.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kba View Post
Were you drinking a lot that night?
Old 07-25-2014, 01:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Stone is nowhere near a Hall-of-Fame announcer. To this day, he still doesn't seem to understand the basics of being an announcer. He's knowledgeable, but doesn't even compare to the many commentators on the MLB channel.

When you look at what announcers have gotten into the Hall, Hawk is a no-brainer.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I agree that is just a ridiculous comment. Caray was the voice of major league baseball for the west and south prior to expansion while announcing for the cardinals. He created many baseball fans as a result of his great announcing.
I realize Harry Caray was popular but what other memorable baseball moment was Harry Caray apart of that was more memorable than disco demolition? Maybe Lou brock stealing a base or Ryne Sandberg collecting a famous hit? Did he even work a World Series game? Singing "Take me out to the Ballgame" is memorable but it's really not a famous moment in baseball history.

I never realized that Harry Caray almost got Larussa fired, maybe that's a famous moment.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:11 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post

Arguably, indeed.
Name one moment in baseball history which Harry Caray was part of that was more memorable than disco demolition.