White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 02:19 PM
WSI Regular

I'm going to both games that weekend, so I don't really have a preference, I'll see whatever they do either way.

If White Sox fans, and Paul Konerko fans, can't be bothered to show up on a Sunday afternoon just because the Bears are playing the Packers, which they do twice a year every year, then the heck with 'em.

If they have tickets to the Bears game that's one thing, and that's fine, I get it. I wouldn't expect them to throw away money. And I certainly understand that the NFL trumps all, usually. To me this is rare enough to ignore the Bears for one day. I'll catch the highlights. It's Paul Freaking Konerko. It's the last time we'll see him play in Sox pinstripes.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
I'm going to both games that weekend, so I don't really have a preference, I'll see whatever they do either way.

If White Sox fans, and Paul Konerko fans, can't be bothered to show up on a Sunday afternoon just because the Bears are playing the Packers, which they do twice a year every year, then the heck with 'em.

If they have tickets to the Bears game that's one thing, and that's fine, I get it. I wouldn't expect them to throw away money. And I certainly understand that the NFL trumps all, usually. To me this is rare enough to ignore the Bears for one day. I'll catch the highlights. It's Paul Freaking Konerko. It's the last time we'll see him play in Sox pinstripes.
Packers at Bears is the most important date on the calendar of the city's most popular team. Hopefully Sox executives aren't so stubborn as to say "heck with" those of us who are fans of both the Sox and Bears, because there's no reason to make us choose when you can just as easily have the ceremony a day earlier. Konerko deserves the spotlight one last time, and the simple fact is that having his ceremony concurrent with Bears-Packers will rob him of it, and for no good reason.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:44 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
Packers at Bears is the most important date on the calendar of the city's most popular team. Hopefully Sox executives aren't so stubborn as to say "heck with" those of us who are fans of both the Sox and Bears, because there's no reason to make us choose when you can just as easily have the ceremony a day earlier. Konerko deserves the spotlight one last time, and the simple fact is that having his ceremony concurrent with Bears-Packers will rob him of it, and for no good reason.
No, it robs YOU of it, not him. There'll be plenty of us there showing him the love.

And really, they'll probably do something both games that weekend, so there is likely nothing to worry about in that regard.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I could not love this post more!!!!
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 07-23-2014, 11:07 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post
You're exactly right. If the Sox' ceremony for Konerko is on the same day as Bears-Packers, there will be more coverage in the papers regarding how Patrick Mannelly's successor as the Bears' long snapper is progressing than info and quotes from Konerko.

Shoot, there might be more stuff in the papers regarding the Cubs' minor-league players. Heaven forbid one or more of those guys are called up or already playing in the bigs.

At least on Saturday for Sunday's paper, the primary competition for space would be college football.

For what he's done for the Sox, Konerko deserves as much ink as possible.
Maybe for the reason of college football being big on Saturdays, Friday might be a good option for the event instead of Saturday or Sunday. It's not like it's in the middle of the week, and they could maybe have the firework display set to a track selected by Paul Konerko himself.

I just don't miss Bears games, so I would be watching the Bears game 100% on Sunday. There are only 16 of them (plus 4 preseason, and hopefully playoffs), and they are my 2nd favorite team behind the Blackhawks. The only bit of a Bears game I will miss this season will be the first quarter of the game in Green Bay, because I have a ticket to the Blackhawks game that night.

26 Other Games I have (all season tickets): 10/11 vs. Buffalo (home opener), 10/16 vs. Calgary, 10/21 vs. Philadelphia, 10/28 vs. Anaheim, 11/2 vs. Winnipeg, 11/7 vs. Washington, 11/9 vs. San Jose, 11/16 vs. Dallas, 12/5 vs. Montreal, 12/16 vs. Minnesota, 12/21 vs. Toronto, 12/23 vs. Winnipeg, 1/4 vs. Dallas, 1/6 vs. Colorado, 1/16 vs. Winnipeg, 1/18 vs. Dallas, 1/20 vs. Arizona, 2/9 vs. Arizona, 2/11 vs. Vancouver, 2/20 vs. Colorado, 2/22 vs. Boston, 2/24 vs. Florida, 3/6 vs. Edmonton, 3/17 vs. New York Islanders, 3/27 vs. Columbus, 4/2 vs. Vancouver
Old 07-24-2014, 07:09 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
No, it robs YOU of it, not him. There'll be plenty of us there showing him the love.

And really, they'll probably do something both games that weekend, so there is likely nothing to worry about in that regard.
If stubborness is a good enough reason in your mind to have Konerko's ceremony in front of 13000 distracted fans, then so be it. I think he deserves better than that.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:27 AM
WSI Personality

I'm beginning to wonder if the White Sox are going to do anything for Konerko this year. Maybe they'll wait until 2015. They might retire Konerkos number next year and have that ceremony with a Konerko statue day. I would think if the White Sox were going to do something for Konerko this year, they would of already announced it by now.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if the White Sox are going to do anything for Konerko this year. Maybe they'll wait until 2015. They might retire Konerkos number next year and have that ceremony with a Konerko statue day. I would think if the White Sox were going to do something for Konerko this year, they would of already announced it by now.
I think we will hear about it immediately after a big trade is made, take some of the sting out of selling a guy like Danks or Ramirez.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:33 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I think we will hear about it immediately after a big trade is made, take some of the sting out of selling a guy like Danks or Ramirez.
There's sting in that?

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-24-2014, 11:42 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:

Definitely. I'll be at USCF both Saturday and Sunday the last weekend of the season. Paul Konerko helped bring a World Series title to Chicago. What exactly has the current crop of Bears players brought to Chicago? A string of mediocre seasons highlighted by losses to the Packers? For all the hype the Bears get, they've won the same number of playoff games over the past eight years as the Sox: one. It would be one thing if the Bears were good, but they haven't shown me much over the past couple years.

That said, I think the Sox would be smart to do something for Konerko on Saturday instead of Sunday. Even if the Bears are winless going into that game against the Packers, it will still be treated as more important than Konerko's retirement in Chicago. Nothing will change that no matter what I say.

College football? It's worth noting that neither Northwestern nor Illinois has a home game on Sept. 27. I think I'll take going to a Sox game over staying home and watching Illinois get pounded by Nebraska. And, I think I'll take going to a Sox game over staying home and watching other football games in which I have no rooting interest.

Really, Konerko probably won't get his proper due until whenever the Sox decide to retire his number. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 07-24-2014, 12:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

I usually go to the last home game of every season. It's frequently on a Sunday afternoon -- head-to-head with a Bears game. My recollection is that the Sunday afternoon game usually draws much better than the other games of the series (normally, it is Fan Appreciation Day).

I don't think holding Konerko Day on Friday or Saturday will increase attendance significantly. Whatever day of the week the Sox choose to honor Paulie, the game will likely draw between 17000 and 20,000 fans -- maybe fewer if the weather is bad. By late September, when their team is out of contention, the casual fan has turned the page on baseball season. The die-hards will attend regardless of the day of the week. Selfishly, I hope they honor Paulie on Sunday --I have tickets to that game, will attend to say good-bye and then watch the Bears highlights that night.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I think they should announce it right after the deadline to take some of the sting out of not finding a sucker to take Danks!
Old 08-07-2014, 10:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Looks like September will have a lot of Konerko themed stuff going on.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/...ng/konerko.jsp
Old 08-07-2014, 10:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
Looks like September will have a lot of Konerko themed stuff going on.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/...ng/konerko.jsp
All of the "PK 14" stuff makes me thing one thing... That his number will absolutely be retired (which I've still never wavered on).

The lack of announcement on a number retirement though makes me wonder if they're going to push it off until early next season to try and get asses in the seats for an April game though (and be able to plan having former teammates/coaches in attendance). Then again, maybe they're just having internal debate about whether or not they'll do it on the the final Sunday of the year or some day prior (with the NFL being king on Sundays; and that specific Sunday being Bears/Packers).

Old 08-07-2014, 10:21 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

The month-long celebration includes the creation of "Club Konerko" in Sections 158 and 159 (total of 1,176 seats). "Club Konerko" includes the blue seat (Section 159, Row 7, Seat 4) where Konerko's grand slam landed during Game 2 of the 2005 World Series.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>