White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2014, 10:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
This is not free agency; this is the draft - entirely different than your scenario. I have never seen a player sign for less because the team that drafted him deemed him an injury risk after picking him high in the draft. Have you? The injury risk guys are drafted later -- in every sport. Or better yet, I've never seen a team fabricate an injury concern to low-ball a player and use the remaining money to sign other players way over slot..
RA Dickey signed for much less after the Rangers drafted him and discovered he did not have that one ligament.

Go Sox!!!
Old 07-19-2014, 11:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
RA Dickey signed for much less after the Rangers drafted him and discovered he did not have that one ligament.
Yeah, but not having a UCL is on the extreme side of things.

I still don't know how he's managed to pitch all these years without a UCL. Crazy. On the positive side, he'll never need Tommy John surgery.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
This is not free agency; this is the draft - entirely different than your scenario. I have never seen a player sign for less because the team that drafted him deemed him an injury risk after picking him high in the draft. Have you? The injury risk guys are drafted later -- in every sport. Or better yet, I've never seen a team fabricate an injury concern to low-ball a player and use the remaining money to sign other players way over slot..
You were talking about risk, not specifically the draft: "If they think he's hurt then don't make an offer at all. You're a risk so we'll offer less money? What kind of garbage dealing is that?"

Teams will discount someone they feel there is a risk with. That doesn't mean they don't have to make an offer. A risk doesn't mean that the player is all or nothing when it comes to making a deal.

If the Astros were able to do all what you said they did, then they did it by the rules that both MLB and the MLBPA agreed to. Brady Aiken was playing by the rules that the MLB and MLBPA agreed to. If he's unhappy that he got a $5 million offer rather than a $6.5-7 million offer, then take it up with the MLBPA to not allow for teams to negotiate with their draft picks. Just remember that you'd also have to take away the player's right to negotiate to make it fair. Or, if he doesn't like it, he can go play overseas. Nothing says that the team has to offer a player the slot value for a position. Nothing says they even have to make him an offer. If they don't at the minimum value, he can become a FA.

Remember, they're drafting the RIGHTS to negotiate with him. They drafted the rights to do so, and it didn't work out. As a result of it not working out, they get a compensatory pick but have to wait a year to use it.

If the Sox didn't give Rodon what he was asking for above slot, would you not want the Sox to get a near-equal value compensatory pick next year? Should their be an investigation into any player asking for more than the slot value? Should that player have to forfeit their right to play in the majors if they ask for above slot? Is that garbage dealing to ask for above-slot? According to your logic of negotiation, it would be.

5187 beat me to it on RA Dickey.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:11 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1m

Can confirm union filed grievance against #Astros, as 1st reported by Murray Chass. Argues team tried to manipulate signings of Aiken, etc.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 07-24-2014, 06:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
You were talking about risk, not specifically the draft: "If they think he's hurt then don't make an offer at all. You're a risk so we'll offer less money? What kind of garbage dealing is that?"

Teams will discount someone they feel there is a risk with. That doesn't mean they don't have to make an offer. A risk doesn't mean that the player is all or nothing when it comes to making a deal.

If the Astros were able to do all what you said they did, then they did it by the rules that both MLB and the MLBPA agreed to. Brady Aiken was playing by the rules that the MLB and MLBPA agreed to. If he's unhappy that he got a $5 million offer rather than a $6.5-7 million offer, then take it up with the MLBPA to not allow for teams to negotiate with their draft picks. Just remember that you'd also have to take away the player's right to negotiate to make it fair. Or, if he doesn't like it, he can go play overseas. Nothing says that the team has to offer a player the slot value for a position. Nothing says they even have to make him an offer. If they don't at the minimum value, he can become a FA.

Remember, they're drafting the RIGHTS to negotiate with him. They drafted the rights to do so, and it didn't work out. As a result of it not working out, they get a compensatory pick but have to wait a year to use it.

If the Sox didn't give Rodon what he was asking for above slot, would you not want the Sox to get a near-equal value compensatory pick next year? Should their be an investigation into any player asking for more than the slot value? Should that player have to forfeit their right to play in the majors if they ask for above slot? Is that garbage dealing to ask for above-slot? According to your logic of negotiation, it would be.

5187 beat me to it on RA Dickey.
I hate the rule too. Here is the problem I have with your argument. The Astro's basically invented something wrong with Aiken. There was no injury there. They just didn't like the size of his UCL. I guess ultimately it is there right to do so, but it just makes them more of a joke of a franchise, and Aiken can go dominate a Community College for a year and be a top pick again next year.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

It's simple. You guys always blame management and expect them to shoulder the risk.All he and his agent need do is under right the specific health risk spoken of and perhaps insure against it!
Old 07-25-2014, 11:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Well, its more, The Astro's saw something in his physical they did not like, and offered him like 1/3 the slot. Aiken does not have a torn UCL, and claims to be fully healthy. He can goto a JUCO and be drafted next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I hate the rule too. Here is the problem I have with your argument. The Astro's basically invented something wrong with Aiken. There was no injury there. They just didn't like the size of his UCL. I guess ultimately it is there right to do so, but it just makes them more of a joke of a franchise, and Aiken can go dominate a Community College for a year and be a top pick again next year.
Okay, since you did it twice, I have to ask "Which Astro?"

I know people here get pissed when improper grammar is pointed out to them. But this error doesn't even look right. I'll also give you the benefit of the doubt that perhaps your smartphone's auto-correct did this.

...and I'm saving kittle42 the agony of seeing any more such posts.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Okay, since you did it twice, I have to ask "Which Astro?"

I know people here get pissed when improper grammar is pointed out to them. But this error doesn't even look right. I'll also give you the benefit of the doubt that perhaps your smartphone's auto-correct did this.

...and I'm saving kittle42 the agony of seeing any more such posts.
wow! I have a tendency (a really bad one) to not check what I am typing on my phone, but geeze! I deserve that one!!!

You mean Aiken was not drafted by the Jetson's Dog?