White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 04:45 PM
MMXXIII

Default Astros fail to sign #1 overall pick Brady Aiken

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...efore-deadline
Old 07-18-2014, 04:49 PM
WSI High Priest

With the predetermined slots now dictating practically every draft signing, how much more does Aiken think he can earn by waiting three years?
Old 07-18-2014, 06:11 PM
WSI High Priest

An injury certainly complicated things. Can't say I blame the Astros on this one, but at the same time, I am thankful that they didn't draft Rodon instead
Old 07-18-2014, 06:43 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
With the predetermined slots now dictating practically every draft signing, how much more does Aiken think he can earn by waiting three years?
I read that it's possible he won't be able to pitch for UCLA depending on how much the NCAA determines he was involved with his agent. JuCo or the independent leagues might be in his future.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Well, its more, The Astro's saw something in his physical they did not like, and offered him like 1/3 the slot. Aiken does not have a torn UCL, and claims to be fully healthy. He can goto a JUCO and be drafted next year.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think it's ridiculous that the Astros get the 2nd overall pick next year after failing to sign Aiken. They should get a supplemental/sandwich pick between rounds 1 and 2, IMO.

Either way, this is a complete disaster for the Astros because they also didn't get two other players signed because those signings and the money offered hinged on Aiken signing. The players union is pissed and I can't say I blame them.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Well, its more, The Astro's saw something in his physical they did not like, and offered him like 1/3 the slot. Aiken does not have a torn UCL, and claims to be fully healthy. He can goto a JUCO and be drafted next year.
Well, even the 40% of the slot they offered him was over $3 million dollars, so it's not like they were trying to sign him for peanuts (and they went up to $5 million by the end). It just seems like a pretty bad idea for Aiken, because he won't beat that unless he's one of the top picks again, and that seems a little unlikely now because teams might not trust his UCL or his representatives. And if he DOES get hurt before next year's draft...
Old 07-19-2014, 09:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
Well, even the 40% of the slot they offered him was over $3 million dollars, so it's not like they were trying to sign him for peanuts (and they went up to $5 million by the end). It just seems like a pretty bad idea for Aiken, because he won't beat that unless he's one of the top picks again, and that seems a little unlikely now because teams might not trust his UCL or his representatives. And if he DOES get hurt before next year's draft...
I can understand not going for the $3 million, but I would have went for the $5 million easily. You should be set for life after that and also your minor league clock starts now if he gets closer to a post-rookie MLB deal. I just find it odd that there was no counter by Aiken's team. I can't see the Astros saying no to a counter of $5.25 or $5.5 mil just to see the deal done.

That being said, nothing is there to force a team to sign a guy except the minimum salary they must offer to avoid the player getting free agency. The player's association can file their grievance over the impact of Aiken on the other guy, but Aiken's offer was withing the guidelines of the draft program.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

He wants to be Theo's pick next year.

All hail The Rick
Old 07-19-2014, 11:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
I think it's ridiculous that the Astros get the 2nd overall pick next year after failing to sign Aiken. They should get a supplemental/sandwich pick between rounds 1 and 2, IMO.

Either way, this is a complete disaster for the Astros because they also didn't get two other players signed because those signings and the money offered hinged on Aiken signing. The players union is pissed and I can't say I blame them.
IMO this is Casey Close trying to spin himself into a new Boras. Even Boras said he wouldn't have let it get to this point.

That Close also represents the other two players the Astros could have signed is very telling.

I don't blame the Astros, they eventually offered $5M for a high school pitcher who they had some proof was damaged goods. And everyone knows they've played the draft slots better than anyone else in the new CBA, so this sudden outrage is ludicrous. Did anyone cry when Correa signed for under slot as the #1 pick two years ago?

Frankly the negativity is getting out of hand. Baseball lifers don't like how the Astros brass are straying from long established methods and uses primarily models over traditional scouting, so the establishment and reporters tied into the establishment rip them any chance they get. We'll see if Luhnow gets the last laugh.

Nix is the real loss in not getting this done, since Marshall was hard committed to LSU and only a huge overpayment would change his mind.

As an Astros fan, gotta say no big loss. They signed all their other top picks, have tons of depth in the system, Aiken wouldn't have impacted the big league system for 4-5 years (and who knows if his arm holds together) and one of the other guys they likely couldn't sign anyway.

Plus now we get two top 5 picks next year and a likely record bonus pool to play with next year, but something tells me that they'd rather deal with Boras next year than Close.

Last edited by russ99; 07-19-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:23 PM
WSI Prelate

I think Aiken's agent bears a lot of responsibility. He should never have agreed to an under-slot deal in the first place. Boras would NEVER have agreed to a below slot bonus for the #1 pick in the draft in the first place. Also, in contrast to Correa, Aiken was also the consensus #1 prospect in the draft. Boras, he isn't.
And if the Astros want to draft and sign over-slot players in later rounds, then they should do what the Cubs did - reach in the first round for an underslot player.
No question that the Astros are getting piled on for what people think is a less than stellar way of operation. They showed extreme indifference toward having MLB's worst team for several seasons; and Houston isn't a small market team. Recently, the Astros have been trying to transform their prospect based organization into a major league team - they tried to sign Abreu, traded for Fowler and brought up their 2 best hitting prospects. They have a big off-season ahead of them to make more advances toward the majors.

And I suppose all of those BP exes in the front office irks some people.

In the end, Houston came out whole. They reached for overslot players; it's a risk you take. They'll get comped for Aiken.
MLB should have a supplemental draft in these cases. Let other teams draft Aiken, and give up their #1 choice for next year.

Last edited by Tragg; 07-19-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:43 PM
WSI High Priest

The thing is though, Aiken is not damaged goods. This wasn't a torn UCL , or a frayed out with clear damage. His UCL is thinner than most people, which the Astros felt created some risk. I mean, what stops any team from doing this "Well sure the guy picked 2 spots behind you signed for 6.5 million, but even though nothing is wrong with you, we think there might be in the future, so we will pay you less.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
IMO this is Casey Close trying to spin himself into a new Boras. Even Boras said he wouldn't have let it get to this point.

That Close also represents the other two players the Astros could have signed is very telling.

I don't blame the Astros, they eventually offered $5M for a high school pitcher who they had some proof was damaged goods. And everyone knows they've played the draft slots better than anyone else in the new CBA, so this sudden outrage is ludicrous. Did anyone cry when Correa signed for under slot as the #1 pick two years ago?

Frankly the negativity is getting out of hand. Baseball lifers don't like how the Astros brass are straying from long established methods and uses primarily models over traditional scouting, so the establishment and reporters tied into the establishment rip them any chance they get. We'll see if Luhnow gets the last laugh.

Nix is the real loss in not getting this done, since Marshall was hard committed to LSU and only a huge overpayment would change his mind.

As an Astros fan, gotta say no big loss. They signed all their other top picks, have tons of depth in the system, Aiken wouldn't have impacted the big league system for 4-5 years (and who knows if his arm holds together) and one of the other guys they likely couldn't sign anyway.

Plus now we get two top 5 picks next year and a likely record bonus pool to play with next year, but something tells me that they'd rather deal with Boras next year than Close.
Disagree wholeheartedly in almost every regard; the only thing that saves the Astros here is the terrible rule that they get the #2 next year. Like I said earlier, it should be a supplemental pick instead.

No one fussed over Correa because he was supposed to go 5 or 6 in the draft, therefore the under slot offer and subsequent signing made sense. In this case, had they taken Nola or Jackson, then fine, but here they took the number 1 rated player, then instead of signing him they low-balled him with a bull**** offer so they could sign their other picks. There is nothing wrong w/Aiken physically.

You keep portraying Close as the villian here, but in actuality it's the Astros that were pulling a scam here. If they think he's hurt then don't make an offer at all. You're a risk so we'll offer less money? What kind of garbage dealing is that? I've never seen it before and hopefully never again.

Maybe if MLB did an investigation and forced the Astros to lose this pick altogether (of course Selig doesn't have the guts to do it) it will prevent other teams in the future from trying to pull this scam. But, of course, there will be no penalty/repercussions. The Astros will undeservedly have the #2 next year, and the only person absolutely screwed here is Brady Aiken.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
Disagree wholeheartedly in almost every regard; the only thing that saves the Astros here is the terrible rule that they get the #2 next year. Like I said earlier, it should be a supplemental pick instead.

No one fussed over Correa because he was supposed to go 5 or 6 in the draft, therefore the under slot offer and subsequent signing made sense. In this case, had they taken Nola or Jackson, then fine, but here they took the number 1 rated player, then instead of signing him they low-balled him with a bull**** offer so they could sign their other picks. There is nothing wrong w/Aiken physically.

You keep portraying Close as the villian here, but in actuality it's the Astros that were pulling a scam here. If they think he's hurt then don't make an offer at all. You're a risk so we'll offer less money? What kind of garbage dealing is that? I've never seen it before and hopefully never again.

Maybe if MLB did an investigation and forced the Astros to lose this pick altogether (of course Selig doesn't have the guts to do it) it will prevent other teams in the future from trying to pull this scam. But, of course, there will be no penalty/repercussions. The Astros will undeservedly have the #2 next year, and the only person absolutely screwed here is Brady Aiken.
So if a pitcher has a history of arm troubles or a potential major defect, you shouldn't factor that into a negotiation? That's how any negotiation goes. The Astros offered $5 million and the prospect told them no. Same if the T'Wolves offer Love a new contract and he says no.

How does Aiken get screwed? Because he wasn't signed for the maximum? He received a $5 million offer at the end and he turned it down. Not every player is going to get the maximum. Are you going to investigate any player who has an advisor/agent that tells a team not to pick his/her guy because they won't sign?
Old 07-19-2014, 09:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
So if a pitcher has a history of arm troubles or a potential major defect, you shouldn't factor that into a negotiation? That's how any negotiation goes. The Astros offered $5 million and the prospect told them no. Same if the T'Wolves offer Love a new contract and he says no.

How does Aiken get screwed? Because he wasn't signed for the maximum? He received a $5 million offer at the end and he turned it down. Not every player is going to get the maximum. Are you going to investigate any player who has an advisor/agent that tells a team not to pick his/her guy because they won't sign?
This is not free agency; this is the draft - entirely different than your scenario. I have never seen a player sign for less because the team that drafted him deemed him an injury risk after picking him high in the draft. Have you? The injury risk guys are drafted later -- in every sport. Or better yet, I've never seen a team fabricate an injury concern to low-ball a player and use the remaining money to sign other players way over slot..