White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 08:27 AM
WSI Regular

Default Cool idea, but "which one of these is not like the other?"

http://www.topps.com/collectibles/ar...llection.html/
Old 07-18-2014, 10:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Reminds me of the "great games" DVD collection they sold for the Cubs that had the same appearance of the World Series collections sold by A&E.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 07-18-2014, 04:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Took me a second...good one.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:47 PM
WSI High Priest

The '84 Padres might have something to say about this.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioheadRocks View Post
The '84 Padres might have something to say about this.
That was the dream season for the Padres franchise. Unfortunately (because the Padres were my local team in 1984), it coincided with the dream season for a much more venerable franchise.

Being a White Sox fan can be frustrating, certainly, and I know some fans celebrate the 1977 season, when they finished with the distant sixth-best record in a 14-team league while wearing really silly uniforms, but the way Cubs fans celebrated the 1969 and later 1984 teams and perhaps even the 2003 team, baffles me. The best you can say for each of those seasons is the team underachieved. They are punctuated with unique historic collapses.

The 1969 Cubs had a nine-game lead over the Mets on August 16 and trailed the Mets by nine games on Oct. 1. It had seemed inevitable that the Cubs would go to the World Series for the first time since losing to the Tigers in 1945, 24 years earlier. Meanwhile, the Padres were losing 110 games in their expansion season.

Fifteen years later, it seemed inevitable the Cubs were going to go to the World Series. They only had to get past the Padres, with silly uniforms the color of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. They breezed to a 2-0 lead and were and lost three games in San Diego, holding late leads in the last two. But really, that was so unfair. If it were seven games, the Cubs would have gone home and won the last two.

Nineteen years later, it seemed inevitable the Cubs were going to win the World Series when they were facing the Marlins in the LCS. (The Mets, Padres and Marlins were all expansion teams, by the way). The Cubs went up three games to one, lost game five, but were headed home with their two best pitchers going and found themselves with the lead and just five outs away with no one on base. I wouldn't be celebrating the horrors of what followed if I were a Cubs fan any more than I would celebrate 1969 or 1984.

But I'm not a Cubs fan, and Topps isn't marketing to me.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Is it me or does the Cubs' shirt say "Next Year" on it?
Old 07-21-2014, 11:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
That was the dream season for the Padres franchise. Unfortunately (because the Padres were my local team in 1984), it coincided with the dream season for a much more venerable franchise.

Being a White Sox fan can be frustrating, certainly, and I know some fans celebrate the 1977 season, when they finished with the distant sixth-best record in a 14-team league while wearing really silly uniforms, but the way Cubs fans celebrated the 1969 and later 1984 teams and perhaps even the 2003 team, baffles me. The best you can say for each of those seasons is the team underachieved. They are punctuated with unique historic collapses.

The 1969 Cubs had a nine-game lead over the Mets on August 16 and trailed the Mets by nine games on Oct. 1. It had seemed inevitable that the Cubs would go to the World Series for the first time since losing to the Tigers in 1945, 24 years earlier. Meanwhile, the Padres were losing 110 games in their expansion season.

Fifteen years later, it seemed inevitable the Cubs were going to go to the World Series. They only had to get past the Padres, with silly uniforms the color of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. They breezed to a 2-0 lead and were and lost three games in San Diego, holding late leads in the last two. But really, that was so unfair. If it were seven games, the Cubs would have gone home and won the last two.

Nineteen years later, it seemed inevitable the Cubs were going to win the World Series when they were facing the Marlins in the LCS. (The Mets, Padres and Marlins were all expansion teams, by the way). The Cubs went up three games to one, lost game five, but were headed home with their two best pitchers going and found themselves with the lead and just five outs away with no one on base. I wouldn't be celebrating the horrors of what followed if I were a Cubs fan any more than I would celebrate 1969 or 1984.

But I'm not a Cubs fan, and Topps isn't marketing to me.
Hell, when the Sox honored the 72 team couple of years ago, I didn't see the point. To me, the 83 Sox got as much love as the 84 Cubs, at least from their respective fan bases. the 93 Sox team doesn't really get talked about too much along with the 89 and 98 Cubs teams. I do think the 77 Sox get over the top love, but I wasn't from that era.

But yes, nothing is more over the top than the 69 Cubs. Hell, you would think they actually won something the way they are over blown. For as much as the 85 Bears have gotten over blown and old, they were at least one of the best teams in the history of their respective league. I've seen plaques for the 69 Cubs like they were some special team. Seriously.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:12 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post

What?! Do you have a crystal ball? The cubs would have gone home and lost again because that is what they do, and SD was the better team that year. Very strange of you to fantasize the way you did. We can also say if the 83 ALCS was 7 games, then the Sox win 3 in a row to win the pennant.

There was nothing unfair about the 84 NLCS. SD had HFA because it was their turn that year. The cubs were inferior, so they lost.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:29 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
What?! Do you have a crystal ball? The cubs would have gone home and lost again because that is what they do, and SD was the better team that year. Very strange of you to fantasize the way you did. We can also say if the 83 ALCS was 7 games, then the Sox win 3 in a row to win the pennant.

There was nothing unfair about the 84 NLCS. SD had HFA because it was their turn that year. The cubs were inferior, so they lost.
I don't think there was anything unfair about the 1984 postseason. in late September, I scored tickets to see the World Series in San Diego, and I was ecstatic to be able to use them. The entire home field thing in baseball can be arbitrary anyway because of the length of the season and the roster changes teams go through. I don't see anything innately unfair about alternating home-field advantage.

The it-was-unfair-because-it-didn't-go-seven thing was the Cubs fan mantra for years. The feelings of Cubs fan was what I intended to post there, noting that given a chance to win one of two at home with their best pitchers going at Wrigley 19 years later, the Cubs would fail epically.