White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 11:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Tony Gwynn not mentioned once in ASG broadcast

http://deadspin.com/chad-curtis-is-s...-of-1605777478
I think this deserves its own discussion. This is a pretty bad omission by both MLB and FOX. I don't disagree with the acknowledgement of Jeter, but they could have at least mentioned Gwynn on the one day of the year when baseball really has the spotlight.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox029 View Post
http://deadspin.com/chad-curtis-is-s...-of-1605777478
I think this deserves its own discussion. This is a pretty bad omission by both MLB and FOX. I don't disagree with the acknowledgement of Jeter, but they could have at least mentioned Gwynn.
What I don't get is, if they did not want to single out 1 player, then why not honor them all? you could have done a 10 second moment of silence with all the faces on the jumbotron.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
What I don't get is, if they did not want to single out 1 player, then why not honor them all? you could have done a 10 second moment of silence with all the faces on the jumbotron.
I haven't looked around the internet much, but I sure hope that isn't the argument they're using after making such a big deal about Jeter. Besides, Gwynn probably deserves to be singled out over other players who may have passed away in the last year-- he's an iconic face of the game and everything it stands for, and one of the greatest hitters of all time.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox029 View Post
I haven't looked around the internet much, but I sure hope that isn't the argument they're using after making such a big deal about Jeter. Besides, Gwynn probably deserves to be singled out over other players who may have passed away in the last year-- he's an iconic face of the game and everything it stands for, and one of the greatest hitters of all time.
http://deadspin.com/all-100-times-je...ium=socialflow
Old 07-17-2014, 12:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

I didn't watch the ASG so that I could avoid hearing about Jeter over and over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 07-17-2014, 02:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
I didn't watch the ASG so that I could avoid hearing about Jeter over and over.
It's a good thing for you that you didn't watch.

I like Derek Jeter and i'm glad he's getting a great send off after a great career, but come on! The ASG telecast on Tuesday was pretty much non-stop over the top Jeter Jeter Jeter.

The honoring of Jeter was ridiculously over the top. Do all future HOF players get such non stop fawning at their last all-star game?

Old 07-17-2014, 03:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
It's a good thing for you that you didn't watch.

I like Derek Jeter and i'm glad he's getting a great send off after a great career, but come on! The ASG telecast on Tuesday was pretty much non-stop over the top Jeter Jeter Jeter.

The honoring of Jeter was ridiculously over the top. Do all future HOF players get such non stop fawning at their last all-star game?
There is a difference though. Jeter has generally been the face of baseball for nearly 20 years. He is a generational talent, much like Cal Ripken Jr. and his Send off (which was much the same).
Old 07-17-2014, 03:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
There is a difference though. Jeter has generally been the face of baseball for nearly 20 years. He is a generational talent, much like Cal Ripken Jr. and his Send off (which was much the same).
I'm not sure I'd call him a "generational talent." He's never been the best player at his position at any time in his career.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
I'm not sure I'd call him a "generational talent." He's never been the best player at his position at any time in his career.
I disagree with that and here is why.

When I was kid, it was Jeter-Arod-Nomar. The big 3. Nomar could not stay healthy, and Arod proved to be a fraud. So when you look at the entire body of work, I think he was the best all around SS for a long time. When you add up the awards, the titles, I think he was. He was just shoved down our throats a little more because he was a Yankee, but that didn't make his career any easier.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

There's a reason why i never watch the fox network, and they didn't disappoint .. they followed Derek Jeter around like they were filming a reality television program .. you could tell that he was becoming annoyed at one point .. i love the guy, i mean who doesn't, but that was way beyond the pale .. i had a hunch that they would mention Tony Gwynn during the 7th inning stretch, but it never happened..
Old 07-18-2014, 10:19 AM
WSI Personality

How could they stage a Stand Up To Cancer promotion between innings and not mention Tony? I thought that was pretty cheap.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Fox Sports isn't geared for baseball fans. It's geared for the masses, generally people with short attention spans, a characteristic that gets in the way of enjoying baseball. The Jeter stuff gives people a reason to care about watching. No real analysis. It's the way they cover all their baseball. The network doesn't have enough confidence in their product to cover it intelligently, not believing they will attract high ratings if they do.

It does seem odd, though, that while the high-rated Academy Awards in some way honors every Oscar recipient who died in the previous year -- and that doesn't even seem the threshold there -- the MLB All-Star broadcast doesn't even mention the recent death of a perennial MLB all-star.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:47 PM
WSI High Priest

I have never understood the love for Derek Jeter. He is a well above average player with a Hall of Fame career. But he was never IMO the best player on the Yankees at any point in his career and is overrated as a defender. He is also frankly uninteresting - apart from that one time he briefly dated Mariah Carey, he is Jim Thome-esque in always just saying the right thing and speaking in platitudes.

I suppose there's something to be said for being there for so many years with one team at one position. And that team happens to be the most popular in the country. And as far as we know he's clean.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 07-18-2014, 11:18 PM
WSI Regular

I didn't watch but that's disappointing to hear. It was bad enough watching the HR derby replay and Berman/Kruk debating on if they should stand up with a hot mic.

Jeter is a great player but I agree this whole send off is going over the top. A great offensive player but his defense is and will always be overrated.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:33 PM
WSI High Priest

I like him because of those reasons. He's the most popular player on the most popular team in the biggest city in America, and hardly anyone has a bad word to say about him. Even with cell phones and social media, the guy is Teflon.

He's gone out and done his job everyday for the same team for almost 20 years. And he's clean as a whistle. That has to count for something