White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 03:26 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Next year will be the 10 year anniversary of winning the world series and I'd be the first to stand up and cheer for him if he walks back on the field to be recognized for his role in it.
I'd be fine with a ceremonial visit, an acknowledgement of his accomplishments that meant so much to us all, that's all fine and dandy, but coming back into the organization? No way, only a matter of time before someone pisses him off, or tells his kids they can't act like morons, or god only knows what else will make him fly off the cuff...

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know

Last edited by voodoochile; 07-17-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:26 PM
WSI High Priest

He may not have thrown Robin under the bus in the interview, but he's in the luggage compartment and he's not tied down and the door is loose.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:36 PM
WSI Personality

I wouldn't mind seeing him come back. He had his faults but I'd still rather have a guy like him as a manger over lifeless managers like Ventura and Manuel.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I'd be fine with a ceremonial visit, an acknowledgement of his accomplishments that meant so much to us all, that's all fine and dandy, but coming back into the organization? No way, only a matter of time before someone pisses him off, or tells his kids they can't act like morons, or god only knows what else will make him fly off the cuff...
Right. No way should he be in the organization in any capacity. He had his chance. He did some nice things, but he also did some not so nice things. If the team wants to honor his time here, that's their business. He will, and should, never work for the team again.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Thats just it. Ozzie did earn the right to be on the field when they honor the world series team. Ozzie did earn the right to have his jersey retired. And during these events, when half of the crowd is booing him, he earned that too.
Can't disagree with you too much. His contributions truly go to each end of the spectrum.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:00 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm ok with Ozzie coming back as an alum and being honored as such, but not as manager or coach. If he had left in a more respectable manner I might not object to a coaching job, but he didn't, so there is that.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 07-17-2014, 05:28 PM
WSI High Priest

It sure seems like no one is knocking on Ozwaldos door. He nailed his own coffin, no sympathy from me.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Really respect what Ozzie accomplished on the field and the 2005 World Series Championship- but I hope he is never on the Sox payroll again.

I think he's come to understand that he's probably not going to be hired again as a manager after the fiasco in Miami- for the last month or so he's surfacing on talk radio, charity events, etc.- seems to be on an image rebuilding tour.

Can't believe Cowley came out of the wood work to write this puff piece on Guillen- classless of Ozzie to discuss wanting to come back in the press while Ventura (or anyone for that matter) is still in the job.

I went to a Kenosha Kingfish game a few weeks ago- it was "Ozzie Guillen Night" so I stood in the short line, had my picture taken with him, and paid $5 for an autographed photo- and thanked him for 2005.

It seemed kind of sad to see him sitting at a card table- with a "#13" hat on- getting $5 for pictures at a minor league game.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 07-18-2014, 07:02 AM
WSI Personality

None of us will forget 2005, that was a magical year.

But Guillen has blown up that bridge in the minds of most fans. I agree with those who would honor him for his role in winning the Series, but don't want him anywhere near this rebuilding team.

Aside from his abrasive personality, does anybody really want him near the crop of young players? That's not his forte at all.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't think anyone is in favor of having Ozzie back managing this team, or even on the Sox payroll in anything more than a superficial capacity, but I would be ASTONISHED if, when the 2005 World Series team is honored, "half the crowd is booing him." I'd go so far as to say his ovation will be one of the biggest - mark my words.

I don't wish to come off as an Ozzie apologist - I got as pissed off as anyone with his antics on and off the field - but in a town as starved for baseball success as this one, 2005 stockpiled for him a ton of goodwill, and time heals a lot of wounds.

"Gogh Gogh White Sox!"
Old 07-18-2014, 10:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

I love Ozzie! Bring him back!
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
Old 07-18-2014, 07:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Another interesting point, Ozzie has a career winning percentage of .512, good enough for about 83 wins a year. I think if we are talking big time manager change, the convo needs to start with LaRussa.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post

Can't believe Cowley came out of the wood work to write this puff piece on Guillen- classless of Ozzie to discuss wanting to come back in the press while Ventura (or anyone for that matter) is still in the job..
Is Cowley the one who was writing all of the crap at the end of 2011 blaming everything on Cooper and Williams?
I agree with you - keep him off the payroll.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Is Cowley the one who was writing all of the crap at the end of 2011 blaming everything on Cooper and Williams?
I agree with you - keep him off the payroll.
Yep, he's the one. I think he wanted to be Jay Mariotti when he grew up. Cowley became the front man for Ozzie and his sons during that ugly time.

I agree that Ozzie makes a great ambassador and maybe a scout, but unless he's gone through some ego-detox program he shouldn't be managing again. I don't think he's able to stop himself once he gets rolling on an attention-grabbing dispute with somebody.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post
and maybe a scout,
Guillen had a horrible eye for talent.