White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you trade rosters with the Cubs
Yes 12 14.63%
No 67 81.71%
Only if three bags of Churros is tossed in the deal 3 3.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2014, 06:02 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
The Cubs roster is going to be comprised of mostly prospects on their first contracts right? If that's the case it frees the team up to spend some significant money in free agency which they haven't done the past few seasons because they haven't felt like they were ready.
That is probably why they can spend close to one billion dollars on debt service and stadium renovations. They need the rookie contracts so they can pay for these items.

All hail The Rick
Old 07-17-2014, 01:37 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post

Quietly the Sox have done a lot of the same things, just haven't been so outspoken about the plan. The Sox have torn down a terrible team, they just didn't blow it up metrodome style like the northsiders.
They did, but the key difference is that the Sox brought in players who are at or near MLB caliber in Garcia, Abreu, Eaton, and Davidson. I know Davidson hasn't been great this year, but the trade was a good one and could still end up being great if he realizes his potential.

The Cubs method of bringing in players who are years away would scare me if I were a Cubs fan, especially considering how long it took for Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh and Kansas City to become relevant after pretty much building their teams the same way. Sure they all eventually became decent, but it took decades to happen.

I like how the Sox are building up their major league team with young talented players who are ready to contribute at the MLB level. I think they'll fill in the lower levels over time as long as they scout well and don't trade away prospects for mediocre veterans like KW was notorious for. The Cubs plan of ignoring the MLB team and loading up with prospects doesn't really seem necessary, especially when teams like the Cardinals can do both.

Big picture--if the Cubs are lucky, some of their prospects will be as good as Abreu and Sale. But the Sox already have those guys, and Rodon, Davidson, and Garcia could all turn out to be really really good as well. I would rather compete now and keep the known commodity.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

Rosters? No...minor league prospects? maybe

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 07-18-2014, 11:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
I think they'll fill in the lower levels over time as long as they scout well and don't trade away prospects for mediocre veterans like KW was notorious for.
I keep reading this here on WSI as if KW traded away future Hall of Famers, but how many of those prospects have even had the careers the medicore veterans he traded them for had?
Old 07-18-2014, 11:26 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
I keep reading this here on WSI as if KW traded away future Hall of Famers, but how many of those prospects have even had the careers the medicore veterans he traded them for had?
This is to some extent irrelevant, unless KW was such a genius that he was able to target which at the time highly regarded minor leaguers he was trading away were just a mirage with no chance of real major league success.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-18-2014, 01:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
This is to some extent irrelevant, unless KW was such a genius that he was able to target which at the time highly regarded minor leaguers he was trading away were just a mirage with no chance of real major league success.
I'm just saying that the motto around here seems to be that KW robbed the Sox of great future players to acquire people to help right then and there. My question is, how many, if any, of those prospects ever panned out to be anything?
Old 07-18-2014, 01:21 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I'm just saying that the motto around here seems to be that KW robbed the Sox of great future players to acquire people to help right then and there. My question is, how many, if any, of those prospects ever panned out to be anything?
The two that I have in mind are Gio Gonzalez for Swisher and Hudson for Edwin Jackson. Both of those guys would be pretty great to have right now (Well Hudson pre-injury. But that wasn't something you could predict). But you're right--scouting under KW was terrible and most of the players they gave up were never great prospects.

I think Hahn overall has a much better concept of building a farm system, which is why I'm optimistic.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

I have a friend who went to the same Catholic grade school as I did. I remember his family well because their house was literally three minutes away from the school. He'd go home and watch the Cubs home games on TV. Many times he would get to see half of the game.

He is now readying himself for retirement and he has never experienced a Cubs World Series. Even if Theo's plan works, he will be pushing 70 by the times the Cubs finally make it. He is not buying into Theo.

The Cubs and the Tribune company sell hope and not results. Cub fans buy into it because it is natural for a human being to hope for something positive. I just wonder what will happen if this grand plan doesn't work.

Recently the Tribune ran a list ranking people who should or should not be forgiven for past transgressions. Steve Bartman was ranked neat the top for being forgiven. Yes, that's right. A meek and mild man is driven into seclusion by an angry and drunken mob and he's the one who should be forgiven. Yep, it was all Steve Bartman's fault.

Would I trade the Sox roster for the Cubs? I wouldn't trade for anything associated with the Cubs. They keep their perverted traditions and their centuries of losing.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
I have a friend who went to the same Catholic grade school as I did. I remember his family well because their house was literally three minutes away from the school. He'd go home and watch the Cubs home games on TV. Many times he would get to see half of the game.

He is now readying himself for retirement and he has never experienced a Cubs World Series. Even if Theo's plan works, he will be pushing 70 by the times the Cubs finally make it. He is not buying into Theo.

The Cubs and the Tribune company sell hope and not results. Cub fans buy into it because it is natural for a human being to hope for something positive. I just wonder what will happen if this grand plan doesn't work.

Recently the Tribune ran a list ranking people who should or should not be forgiven for past transgressions. Steve Bartman was ranked neat the top for being forgiven. Yes, that's right. A meek and mild man is driven into seclusion by an angry and drunken mob and he's the one who should be forgiven. Yep, it was all Steve Bartman's fault.

Would I trade the Sox roster for the Cubs? I wouldn't trade for anything associated with the Cubs. They keep their perverted traditions and their centuries of losing.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Gio Gonzalez for Nick Swisher.

EDIT: and i'm not saying that proves that KW emptied the farm system through trades. But, you did say "any".

If anything, the fact that almost all prospects we either kept or traded turned out to be a bust during a number of years that stretched to almost a decade says a lot about how awful this team's scouting/drafting/developing of players has been. That really caught up to this franchise in the last few years.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:26 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
Thank you for proving my point about this entire thread and vote.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Gio Gonzalez for Nick Swisher.
Roider.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:55 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Thank you for proving my point about this entire thread and vote.
That's silly. Dan's opinion is not representative of everybody on the board or of the 85% that voted to not trade rosters. One opinion does not make the majority or the whole. Dan's entitled to his opinion, and I respect it. However, saying that proves your point is like saying all Sox fans are the Ligues. We all know that is not true.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444