White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you trade rosters with the Cubs
Yes 12 14.63%
No 67 81.71%
Only if three bags of Churros is tossed in the deal 3 3.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2014, 11:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
If the same Cubs roster was, say, the Jays or Marlins or someone, this poll would be much different.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 07-14-2014, 11:55 PM
WSI Regular

I agree with those that value major league talent as more important. Pretty much only 30% of prospects in the MLB top 100 become long time major league starters. I think the cubs will end up like the Rockies or like the Brewers (given up most runs in their division) with a good lineup, but weak staff. I know they have money, but they can't compete with the whole league to buy pitching. And as far as trading for SP talent with the top hitting prospects, there is still a chance the pitchers don't pan out or get injured.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:02 AM
WSI Guru

Chris Sale is on the White Sox roster, thus making this an easy call.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 07-15-2014, 12:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcrawdad View Post
+1
Old 07-15-2014, 07:22 AM
WSI Guru

Threads like these actually have a redeeming factor in that they bring the Cubbie trolls and Dan Bernstein-wannabes to the surface.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 07-15-2014, 07:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Last year, it would have been a lot closer, and I probably would've taken the Cubs roster. There's nothing worse than being old, expensive and bad. This year, I don't think it's a topic.
Now if the discussion added minor league prospects into consideration, it would've been an interesting topic, depending on how others valued prospects. Prospects like Anderson, Rodon, Adams and Danish have been able to improve our system, while they have encouraging guys like Bryant, Russell and Baez.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:41 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
If the same Cubs roster was, say, the Jays or Marlins or someone, this poll would be much different.
You know, up until the Samardzija trade, the Twins and Astros had higher ranked systems than the cubs, and I haven't seen anyone wishing they could trade rosters with them either. Not being envious of the cubs does not Always mean you have an anti-cub bias. I'd also imagine that if the question were trading only farm systems, the answers would be quite different as well. We're not stupid. I can't begrudge anybody for not wanting to give up an elite pitcher and hitter for potential.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
You know, up until the Samardzija trade, the Twins and Astros had higher ranked systems than the cubs, and I haven't seen anyone wishing they could trade rosters with them either. Not being envious of the cubs does not Always mean you have an anti-cub bias. I'd also imagine that if the question were trading only farm systems, the answers would be quite different as well. We're not stupid. I can't begrudge anybody for not wanting to give up an elite pitcher and hitter for potential.
Anyone willing to give up Sale, Abreu, Alexei, Quintana, Webb, Jones, Gillaspie, Garcia, Eaton, and Viciedo (yes, I included him) for the Cubs', Houston's, or Twinkee's rosters is putting too much stock into the unknown and/or undervaluing known qualities. It has nothing to do with it being the Cubs. It is a gamble in any sport, more so in baseball than any other, especially with regard to pitching.

Now if they want to just trade farm systems straight up, I'm helicoptering over into Wrigley to sign the papers before they change their mind. But when you include the major league rosters as well, no thank you, move along.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 07-15-2014, 09:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

The Sox advantage is that they have Sale and Abreu at the very top of their list of talented players. That's what makes this a close call. They're top notch, already-established All-Star MLB talents. There are a few other good players too (Quintana, Eaton, A. Garcia). But, there are still a lot of holes around them all the way through the organization.

After that, the advantage swings to the Cubs. The Sox have at least made improvements to their farm system over the dreadful state it was in a few years ago. But, the Cubs are way ahead of us in building an organization full of talent. Not all of them will turn out, but they have enough top prospects stockpiled that odds are that enough of them will turn out to make the Cubs a formidable contender in a few years.

If we're focusing mostly on prospects, one addition that swings the argument in favor of the Sox is the drafting of Rodon. If we're going to pencil in Cubs prospects as future all-stars, then it's fair to say that he might be another ace to go along side Sale.

As far as the Cubs lacking pitching talent in the minors, there's no reason they can't flip some of their surplus of position player top prospects for quality pitching as these players get closer to MLB ready.

Even with Sale and Abreu, it wouldn't surprise me if the Cubs make it back to the playoffs before the Sox do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
The Sox had the best farm system in baseball in 2000-01. All I heard was how great everyone was. It didn't exactly work out as planned.
Yeah, we won the World Series a few years later - that's how it worked out. I've seen this comment posted several times on WSI in recent weeks and it makes me wonder if people on this site are viewing 2005 in a total vacuum.

It's not like Kenny totally slapped together the 2005 team overnight. The main core of that championship team were products of the Sox farm system back when it was top rated in the late 90s through about 2001. Buehrle, Garland, Crede, Rowand were all part of that highly rated farm system. Garcia was acquired because we had quality prospects to trade to land him.

Building a solid farm system matters. Not every franchise is like Kansas City.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
The Sox advantage is that they have Sale and Abreu at the very top of their list of talented players. That's what makes this a close call. They're top notch, already-established All-Star MLB talents. There are a few other good players too (Quintana, Eaton, A. Garcia). But, there are still a lot of holes around them all the way through the organization.

After that, the advantage swings to the Cubs. The Sox have at least made improvements to their farm system over the dreadful state it was in a few years ago. But, the Cubs are way ahead of us in building an organization full of talent. Not all of them will turn out, but they have enough top prospects stockpiled that odds are that enough of them will turn out to make the Cubs a formidable contender in a few years.

If we're focusing mostly on prospects, one addition that swings the argument in favor of the Sox is the drafting of Rodon. If we're going to pencil in Cubs prospects as future all-stars, then it's fair to say that he might be another ace to go along side Sale.

As far as the Cubs lacking pitching talent in the minors, there's no reason they can't flip some of their surplus of position player top prospects for quality pitching as these players get closer to MLB ready.

Even with Sale and Abreu, it wouldn't surprise me if the Cubs make it back to the playoffs before the Sox do.

Yeah, we won the World Series a few years later - that's how it worked out. I've seen this comment posted several times on WSI in recent weeks and it makes me wonder if people on this site are viewing 2005 in a total vacuum.

It's not like Kenny totally slapped together the 2005 team overnight. The main core of that championship team were products of the Sox farm system back when it was top rated in the late 90s through about 2001. Buehrle, Garland, Crede, Rowand were all part of that highly rated farm system. Garcia was acquired because we had quality prospects to trade to land him.

Building a solid farm system matters. Not every franchise is like Kansas City.
Wow, a reasonable post amongst many total homer comments, go figure.

You are spot on, it really becomes, do you take the team with 2 proven Cornerstone players and 1 more , or do you take the team with potentially 6 of them in the farm but really one 1 proven in the lineup (Rizzo).

The Sox have the higher floor, the Cubs have the higher ceiling.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:18 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
There are too many people incapable of being objective when any mention of the Cubs comes into play. I was one of these people until maybe 5 years ago. I got over it.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-15-2014, 10:19 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Wow, a reasonable post amongst many total homer comments, go figure.

You are spot on, it really becomes, do you take the team with 2 proven Cornerstone players and 1 more , or do you take the team with potentially 6 of them in the farm but really one 1 proven in the lineup (Rizzo).

The Sox have the higher floor, the Cubs have the higher ceiling.
Exactly. This poll is objectively a close call.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:21 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
I hear you, but I guarantee even if this was just a discussion of farm systems, at least a couple posters would say they wouldn't trade them because the Cubs have a lack of pitching depth or some such thing.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:22 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Threads like these actually have a redeeming factor in that they bring the Cubbie trolls and Dan Bernstein-wannabes to the surface.
Whatever I am in this whole equation, I have never been anything but on the surface.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

I think one thing to remember about this is that these are Cubs prospects. They're constantly overhyped withe little return. Could this group be different? Sure, but history tells us otherwise. For that reason there's no way I'd swap the rosters.