White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you trade rosters with the Cubs
Yes 12 14.63%
No 67 81.71%
Only if three bags of Churros is tossed in the deal 3 3.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2014, 04:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Would you trade rosters with the Cubs?

Lots of disagreements around here about the Cubs plan.

I am curious if given the opportunity to trade rosters from the majors all the way down to the lowest levels of minors, would you flip with the Cubs? You get to keep rooting for the same laundry, but we flip the rosters going into 2015. Would you do it?

Without getting into ridiculous cubsession/cubhating arguments, who is better off?

Without Jose Abreu this would have been a no brainer for me, but I still would.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:28 PM
WSI High Priest

They have nothing that is remotely close to Abreu or Sale.
Yes their farm is much better but that's not a guarantee that you will get much of anything.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:41 PM
WSI Personality

The Cubs are banking everything on a farm system that may not even pan out. Once their core spends a few years in the minors, it'll probably take a few years beyond that to be competitive at the MLB level.

The Sox have two superstars right now. Sale's numbers are virtually identical to Kershaw, the consensus best pitcher alive--except Sale does it against AL pitching in a bandbox. The Sox also have young talent that is already MLB caliber in Eaton and Garcia. Rodon could be here soon. Davidson is a top prospect who is almost ready, and Gillespie has played well in the meantime.

Sox need a better 2B (plenty of options in the minors), catcher, and bullpen. If they can even reach league average in those three areas, they could be built to win right now, not five-six years from now like the Cubs. No way do you trade.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:50 PM
WSI Prelate

I wouldn't. But it's a matter of time-preference.

Sox need a lot more than a C, BP and 2b.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:50 PM
WSI Prelate

There should be an option for "Too close to call."

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-14-2014, 04:53 PM
WSI High Priest

The Sox had the best farm system in baseball in 2000-01. All I heard was how great everyone was. It didn't exactly work out as planned.

These players being hyped up may be good or may not be good. We don't know. Nothing is guaranteed in life. The Cubs have a history of over the top hype of prospects. Every team does, including the ol Hawk, but the Cubs and their media loving tools take it to the next level.

I haven't gotten excited over minor league prospects since Jeremy Reed and Miguel Olivo got traded.

I do know the Sox have to legit superstars already on the roster....
Old 07-14-2014, 06:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
The Sox had the best farm system in baseball in 2000-01. All I heard was how great everyone was. It didn't exactly work out as planned.
It worked out better than, I suspect, you remember. Joe Crede and Jon Garland were part of that. So were the 3 players we traded for Freddie Garcia (Morse is still in the league; Olivo was until recently). We traded Matt Gurrier (still in league) for Marte. Jon Rauch had a long MLB career. Joe Borchard sucked, but Matt Thornton did not.
And go back a year or so and you can add Carlos Lee, Mark Buehrle and Aaron Rowand.
the Sox farm back then produced pretty well.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
The Cubs are banking everything on a farm system that may not even pan out. Once their core spends a few years in the minors, it'll probably take a few years beyond that to be competitive at the MLB level.

The Sox have two superstars right now. Sale's numbers are virtually identical to Kershaw, the consensus best pitcher alive--except Sale does it against AL pitching in a bandbox. The Sox also have young talent that is already MLB caliber in Eaton and Garcia. Rodon could be here soon. Davidson is a top prospect who is almost ready, and Gillespie has played well in the meantime.

Sox need a better 2B (plenty of options in the minors), catcher, and bullpen. If they can even reach league average in those three areas, they could be built to win right now, not five-six years from now like the Cubs. No way do you trade.
I'm not sure if Davidson is "almost ready" though. On the plus side are his 17 HRs. On the negative side is a .213 AAA average along with an AB/K ratio of 3:1. I'm not so sure I would out him as ready yet. Luckily Conor is having a good offensive year for us.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:23 PM
WSI High Priest

I just don't see enough pitching in the Cubs' organization to make me want to do the swap.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I don't give a hoot about "prospects." Look over the drafts from the past 20 or so years. Look at the first three rounds from each year and you'll see many names that did not make it to The Show or they made it, but did not last too long. Yes, it looks like they have some really good hitters in AA and AAA, but remember, they are facing minor league pitching, most of those arms will never see the light of day in a MLB park.

Brian Anderson was the top AAA hitter whenever he was in Charlotte. Turns out, he wasn't a MLB hitter.

The current crop of prospects might make the Cubs "pretty good" in the future, but to say World Series contenders is a stretch.

Keep in mind what Frank Thomas wrote on the top of his shoes: "DBTH" Don't believe the hype.

All hail The Rick
Old 07-14-2014, 09:36 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
There should be an option for "Too close to call."
If Avisail Garcia and Nate Jones were not out, this thread would be a joke.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
If Avisail Garcia and Nate Jones were not out, this thread would be a joke.
I mean, that is not true at all. The middle reliever with an ERA over 4 last year and no career saves? GMAB.

It really becomes this: Rizzo-Castro-Russell-Bryant-Baez-Soler-Alcantara-Almora-Edwards-Kyle Schwarber and a really good 2014 draft of Arms

Vs.

Sale-Abreu-Eaton-Rodon-Montas-Danish-Avi Garcia-Quintana-Tim Anderson-Erik Johnson-Matt Davidson-Semien-Micah Johnson-and Spencer Adams... with more players that can be dealt for some value....

The White Sox have the 2 best current players on the list. The Cubs have more potential talent by far. The Sox have a Quality Ace, a prospective Ace and a solid number 3 SP in Quintana. The Cubs lack depth of pitching right now.

Sure, you can buy prospects never work out. But some of those guys on the Cubs are incredible prospects. Sometimes incredible prospects are named Mike Trout, and they do work out.

The biggest problem the Cubs face - The offense is going to be there, it might be one of the best 1-8 lineups they have ever had, but who pitches?

The biggest problem the Sox have - The farm is still really thin, which means the window of opportunity is shorter. Abreu is 27, so a guy like Montas might be best off being trade bait for a more age appropriate prospect.

Its a coin-flip. I say no, but its only because of Abreu Sale and Rodon. I think a good rotation can cover for a weak offense more often than the other way around.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:43 PM
WSI Personality

I wouldn't and it really comes to to Chris Sale and Abreu, mostly Sale. The White Sox have never had someone like Chris Sale since I've been old enough to properly follow and I don't want to lose him. The Cubs probably will have a few prospects work out, but I doubt any will match the value of Sale.

Also until recently I wouldn't have put Abreu with Sale. He has been a huge boost and obviously the best power threat in baseball so far, but he's 27 and his .AVG and .OBP kept him just below true superstar status, in my opinion. But then he kept better. His average and his on-base percentage just keep going up, and I'm left wondering what his slash line would like if he didn't play those 2 weeks on just one leg. The way he keeps improving makes me look at his Cuban numbers and wonder just where his ceiling actually is. Of course, he could slow down and return to just a very good player.

I don't disagree that outside of these two positions, the Cubs probably have more potential than the Sox. I just don't think they have the potential of our two best players, who also happen to have reasonable contracts to help us build a team around them.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:59 PM
WSI Prelate

If the same Cubs roster was, say, the Jays or Marlins or someone, this poll would be much different.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:29 PM
WSI High Priest

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello