White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2014, 12:55 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
There has always been a lot of Buzz that AJ was not a pitchers preference to throw too and he caused issues with pitchers. Here in Chicago, you heard a lot of whispers, in Minnesota you heard them, in SF and in Texas and now Boston. He was dealt from SF because he had a knack for playing cards instead of discussing strategy with pitchers before games.

Sometimes, where there is smoke, there is fire. Unless you really believe the entire world is just conspiring against AJP.
I have no personal knowledge, and this is just complete outsider speculation, but my take has always been that AJP rubs people the wrong way, and so his faults get magnified and exaggerated to make him look bad. What I mean is, I think if he were more likeable as a person, his professional flaws would be more easily overlooked, and I suspect that he is probably no less professional than the average player.

But who knows.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
There has always been a lot of Buzz that AJ was not a pitchers preference to throw too and he caused issues with pitchers. Here in Chicago, you heard a lot of whispers, in Minnesota you heard them, in SF and in Texas and now Boston. He was dealt from SF because he had a knack for playing cards instead of discussing strategy with pitchers before games.

Sometimes, where there is smoke, there is fire. Unless you really believe the entire world is just conspiring against AJP.
As someone else pointed out earlier, when he left San Francisco he was coming out of what was quite possibly the most dysfunctional clubhouse in all of baseball and the Red Sox have a long history of trashing everyone who leaves, look at what they did to Terry Francona for God's sake. If Ortiz ever leaves, they will trash him too (and I suspect more stuff about his PED use will leak out too).

While this doesn't mean that AJ is totally blameless or that he's not a difficult guy to be around, it should be noted that Jake Peavy talked about how he was trying to recruit AJ into signing with Boston in the offseason and allegedly he and AJ didn't get along well. Nobody said anything bad about him in Texas when he left there either. I think the whispering is centered on his defense and is based on the fact that he's a defensively weak catcher, a lot of that grumbling was when he was throwing out 18% of base runners. But in 2012 and 2013, when he had pitchers who held runners on, he threw out more base runners and I don't think you heard as much grumbling or whispering.

Go Sox!!!
Old 07-10-2014, 01:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

I doubt that he yearned for Chicago, a fan base that loved him. I see no reason to bid him goodbye the way Konerko earned his. Thanks for your effort when you were here A.J. You were well compensated for it.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
As someone else pointed out earlier, when he left San Francisco he was coming out of what was quite possibly the most dysfunctional clubhouse in all of baseball and the Red Sox have a long history of trashing everyone who leaves, look at what they did to Terry Francona for God's sake. If Ortiz ever leaves, they will trash him too (and I suspect more stuff about his PED use will leak out too).

While this doesn't mean that AJ is totally blameless or that he's not a difficult guy to be around, it should be noted that Jake Peavy talked about how he was trying to recruit AJ into signing with Boston in the offseason and allegedly he and AJ didn't get along well. Nobody said anything bad about him in Texas when he left there either. I think the whispering is centered on his defense and is based on the fact that he's a defensively weak catcher, a lot of that grumbling was when he was throwing out 18% of base runners. But in 2012 and 2013, when he had pitchers who held runners on, he threw out more base runners and I don't think you heard as much grumbling or whispering.
But if you read everything, this wasn't Boston trashing AJ. In fact, the manager, Farrell, has only said
Quote:
"I think it's important to note that this, where we are today, is not pinning this on A.J. by any means. We felt like there was a player ready to step in that we wanted to give valuable time this year as we move forward, and that's Christian, and that's where we started."
So the excuse for Boston is just that, an excuse. The players may have leaked it out, but if so, who cares. If you are that bad of a teammate that your fellow teammates had to get you run out of town, you probably deserve whatever comes your way.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:15 PM
WSI Regular

I don't see any reason to bring AJ back either, but I wonder if Colorado needs a catcher, they can reunite AJ with his best friend Boone Logan!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:52 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

FOX Sports: MLB ‏@MLBONFOX 1m JUST IN: Yadier Molina has a torn thumb ligament & will be out 8-12 weeks, according to #STLCards GM John Mozeliak.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 07-10-2014, 02:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
It sickens me to read so many bad things about AJ in this thread. It's one thing to say his skills have diminished and he is no longer useful as a baseball player (but he is better than Flowers). It's another thing to **** on his personality.
Agreed. It's kind've sad. I never thought I'd see this much AJ trolling on a Sox board. If anything, I would have thought watching Flowers be awful in all facets of the game for the better part of two seasons would make people even more appreciative of what he did here.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 07-10-2014, 03:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

I see that Yadier Molina is out 8-12 weeks with torn thumb ligaments. Have to think that St. Louis will try to make a deal with Boston for A.J.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:

The F bombs he and Peavy threw at each other on the field "in front of the children" were not whispers.

All hail The Rick
Old 07-11-2014, 02:07 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Agreed. It's kind've sad. I never thought I'd see this much AJ trolling on a Sox board. If anything, I would have thought watching Flowers be awful in all facets of the game for the better part of two seasons would make people even more appreciative of what he did here.
And not only that, think about all the catchers the Sox ran through during the years between Fisk and Pierzynski. There was a decade there were the Sox had nothing but instability at that position. From 2005-12, we didn't have to worry about catcher too much. Now, the organization is back to having a gaping hole there.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 07-11-2014, 10:27 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
I see that Yadier Molina is out 8-12 weeks with torn thumb ligaments. Have to think that St. Louis will try to make a deal with Boston for A.J.
I really wonder if a Ned Flandersish-organization like STL would pull this trigger.
Jerry Krause, 1990s Bulls, sure. Bil DeWitt/Jon Mozeliak? I don't know.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:21 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon44 View Post
I really wonder if a Ned Flandersish-organization like STL would pull this trigger.
Jerry Krause, 1990s Bulls, sure. Bil DeWitt/Jon Mozeliak? I don't know.
Okeley-dokely.

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W
August 30 (2) L
September 14 L
September 27 W

Next Game: ??
Old 07-25-2014, 09:34 PM
WSI Guru

AJ signs with the Cardinals.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 07-25-2014, 10:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
AJ signs with the Cardinals.
You get a veteran catcher on the cheap until your really good catcher comes back. Not a bad move for them.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default These are the right SOX