White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 05:28 PM
WSI High Priest

No AJ. Need to let go of the 2005 White Sox. If he was any other 600 OPS catcher we wouldn't be clamoring for him.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
No AJ. Need to let go of the 2005 White Sox. If he was any other 600 OPS catcher we wouldn't be clamoring for him.
Nothing to do with 2005 players, more to do with watching Tyler Flowers in year 6 fail at being a MLB catcher. Has anyone forgot that Flowers was benched for Josh Phegley?
Old 07-09-2014, 05:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
Nothing to do with 2005 players, more to do with watching Tyler Flowers in year 6 fail at being a MLB catcher. Has anyone forgot that Flowers was benched for Josh Phegley?
I agree that Flowers is not the answer, I agree Phegley sucks, but just also saying, if this was ANY OTHER CATCHER WITH THOSE STATS, we wouldn't have a thread started about them, with people acting like Carlton Fisk just hit the market.

No to AJ. Lets get a real solution at C.

If the Sox wanted to make a bold move, there have been rumors that Brian McCann hates NY and its too high profile for him. If the Yanks recognize this, why not try and grab him. He is owed some money, but we have it to spend.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:50 PM
WSI Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
No, it wouldn't. The Red Sox are likely hoping they can swing a deal to relieve the salary burden.

I don't know that any team that Pierzynski has played for would take him back. Maybe the Twins. The White Sox had two chances to sign him at points when they were in need of catching. This off-season, Hahn was trying to trade for catching and drafted a catcher Rule V.

I don't think the White Sox want him back, and I don't think it's about money.
I don't know where you're getting that last statement from. As to the "they could've brought him back" bit, I don't think the Sox (or most of us) wanted him back at 7-8 mil.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
I don't know where you're getting that last statement from. As to the "they could've brought him back" bit, I don't think the Sox (or most of us) wanted him back at 7-8 mil.
The money is irrelevant to me. I don't pay his salary. If they had signed Pierzynski for one year for $7-8 million, they weren't going to cut $7-8 million (or $6-7 million or whatever the salary would be above and beyond what the catcher replaced would have been paid. I don't know that the Sox are playing this year at a self-imposed salary cap that wouldn't allow $7-8 million more for more than one player.

I don't think the Sox want him back, regardless of the salary.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

AJ will always be one of my favorite Sox catchers -- underrated defensively in terms of blocking low pitches and handling pitchers, but almost impossible to underrate his throwing.

Speaking of there being only rumors of his unpopularity among some teammates, apart from his noteworthy hazing of rookies, I think Garland and Peavey had documented issues with him.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Wow, two things are pretty clear with this move:

1) Nobody wants A.J.

2) The Red Sox dislike him so much that they weren't willing to keep him around for even a couple more weeks to see if somebody would change their mind.

Ouch.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:06 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Hahn on AJ: "and we don't talk about players who may or may not be White Sox players in the future."
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 07-09-2014, 08:00 PM
WSI Guru

Not going to happen guys, nor should it.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:10 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
Flowers was hurt last year. The year before, AJ was here still taking playing time. This year is designated as Flowers chance to finally prove himself. The Sox owe it to him and to themselves to figure out what he is. Give him the entire season. He was good for the first two months. The last month and a half, he has been terrible. Let's see what he does for the final 2.5 months. If he cannot get it together, time to move on.

Bringing back AJ at this point would be a pathetic move.

And let me say this, I will always have a lot of respect for AJ for the deal he worked out with the Sox after 2010. I'm sure most people have forgotten, but after the Sox signed Dunn and brought back Konerko, AJ re-signed for something like $2 million to play for the 2011 season and then backloaded 2012 a bit more, but still signed for a below-market-value contract. The guy could have cashed in huge but came back and filled a hole and gave the Sox a chance to win, so major props to him and I hope he enjoys his 2014 Red Sox contract
Old 07-09-2014, 10:19 PM
WSI Personality

After tonight's debacle, I wonder if AJ has any coaching skills?

Maybe he could be a manager someday?

How does next week sound?
Old 07-09-2014, 10:29 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSox597 View Post
After tonight's debacle, I wonder if AJ has any coaching skills?

Maybe he could be a manager someday?

How does next week sound?
Can he pitch?
Old 07-09-2014, 10:37 PM
WSI Personality

I would not be surprised to see AJ back with the White Sox in 2015. I could see him replacing Steve Stone in the TV booth. AJ and Hawk are close and I'm sure Hawk would not be heartbroken to see Stone leave the White Sox.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I would not be surprised to see AJ back with the White Sox in 2015. I could see him replacing Steve Stone in the TV booth. AJ and Hawk are close and I'm sure Hawk would not be heartbroken to see Stone leave the White Sox.
Lord, if we did that, typical White Sox. AJ in the Booth with Stone would be gold, tolerable baseball. AJ and Hawk, no, please no.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:25 AM
WSI High Priest

It sickens me to read so many bad things about AJ in this thread. It's one thing to say his skills have diminished and he is no longer useful as a baseball player (but he is better than Flowers). It's another thing to **** on his personality.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides