White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2014, 04:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Anyone can keep trading Major League players for young talent. At some point, especially years into a rebuilding process, you need to improve the big club -- particularly when you have one of the most expensive ticket prices in baseball.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Anyone can keep trading Major League players for young talent. At some point, especially years into a rebuilding process, you need to improve the big club -- particularly when you have one of the most expensive ticket prices in baseball.
They have been pretty open about what their plan is with the fans. And what has helped him is the results. Most rebuilding teams dont acquire the level of depth the Cubs have. Yes, those guys need to produce, but when you have come in and picked up about 1/4 of the top 30 prospects in baseball, its pretty impressive.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:08 PM
WSI Personality

They did get two great prospects for a guy that didn't plan into their 2016/17 future. That said, it shows that Tampa didn't blink in refusing Russell/McKinnley for Price. It costs way more to find/get pitching than hitting. It's going to cost Bryant AND Baez/Russell/Almora to get some cost controlled stud pitcher. Yay, trade away your best prospects and then pay $150M+ to keep them for more than a two years...
Old 07-05-2014, 08:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by canOcorn View Post
They did get two great prospects for a guy that didn't plan into their 2016/17 future. That said, it shows that Tampa didn't blink in refusing Russell/McKinnley for Price. It costs way more to find/get pitching than hitting. It's going to cost Bryant AND Baez/Russell/Almora to get some cost controlled stud pitcher. Yay, trade away your best prospects and then pay $150M+ to keep them for more than a two years...
The Cubs picked up only one great prospect in the deal.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
The Cubs picked up only one great prospect in the deal.
McKinnley is very solid, recent first rounder
Old 07-06-2014, 08:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
But they also got Straily who could mirror what Hammels could have produced the 2nd half of this year. McKinley is still in Low A and could turn out, but Russell is the key.

I envy the collection of hitters the Cubs have in the minors, but I don't envy their three miserable seasons and another white flag on the current season. The Cubs could do this sort of rebuild...the sox can not afford to. Only the die hards on here would probably stick with the Sox through this kind of rebuild.

Time will tell if the cubs turn into the Rays(08-13) or the Royals with the impressive collection of Minor league talent but unproven.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 07-06-2014, 11:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
McKinnley is struggling this year in the Class A California League, relative to what he was reported to be doing in the Class A New York-Penn League after signing last year. It's only his first full year of professional ball, and the A's have been dangling him in every proposed trade. He is still very young, but the A's no longer seem that high on him. Not that this means he won't amount to anything. The A's have written off and dumped a lot of very good talent, and it remains to be seen if his career has a Jared Mitchell trajectory. Right now, McKinnley doesn't look like a great prospect but like a lot of players in the California League, he could develop into one.

Straily has been struggling at AAA after showing promise with the A's last year, having two strong starts to begin the season this year and subsequently struggling in the majors. He isn't coming to the Cubs from the A's starting rotation or bullpen. Straily's ERA in 10 starts with Sacramento is higher than his ERA was in Oakland when he was sent down.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
McKinnley is struggling this year in the Class A California League, relative to what he was reported to be doing in the Class A New York-Penn League after signing last year..
He's not doing too bad considering he's 19 years old in high A ball.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
He's not doing too bad considering he's 19 years old in high A ball.
That's different from being a great prospect.

Go back and read the trade rumors about what the Cubs were asking, what they weren't accepting for Samardzija. What the Cubs got for Samardzija and Hammel was less.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:40 PM
WSI High Priest

I heard that Samardzija was selected to NL all star team.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I heard that Samardzija was selected to NL all star team.
He basically gets an All-Star certificate from the NL but can't play in the game.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon44 View Post
He basically gets an All-Star certificate from the NL but can't play in the game.
Yea I know , what would have been cool is if castro didnt make the all star team and Samardzija would have counted toward the lone cubs rep.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:59 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon44 View Post
This happened to someone else within the last 10 years, I think, but for the life of me I cannot remember whom.

I know Carl Everett was traded from Texas to the Sox before the 2003 ASG, so he still got to play on the AL team.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 07-06-2014, 09:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
This happened to someone else within the last 10 years, I think, but for the life of me I cannot remember whom.

I know Carl Everett was traded from Texas to the Sox before the 2003 ASG, so he still got to play on the AL team.
I believe it was Carlos Beltran in 2004. Named to AL squad when he was still in KC, but was traded to Houston. I think he did actually play for the NL in the game; but I could be wrong on that.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:01 PM
WSI Guru

Jonah Keri on the trade:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/oa...dison-russell/
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.