White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2014, 01:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
Anybody with a computer and stats thinks they are a manager today.
Well, isn't that a load of horse****?

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-03-2014, 01:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Good win. Huge hit by Alexei to drive in two runs early....41 rbis for the season, even tho he had that june drought...not bad...80 rbis from a ss of his quality is a great year?

Danks has 5 very good starts in his last 6 starts. At first I thought he was doing it with mirrors but I am starting to believe he has found his post-surgery groove and this is him going forward.

Trading Danks should not happen unless a super desperate team comes in on July 31 and bowls Hahn over with good young pitching.

If John finishes strong, he could always be moved in the offseason or next July.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwny View Post
I'll agree with you both about Durocher but, Stengel was highly over rated.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...ally-messed-up
Durocher was one of five Hall-of-Famers on the 1969 Cubs that not only led the NL East by 8.5 games with six weeks to go, but were down 9 games to the Mets before beating them on the meaningless last day of the season to finish the season 8 games back. You really have to have lived through it (although as a Sox fan living in Cub-crazy Northwest Indiana, I didn't suffer through it) to have a feel for the magnitude of the collapse. Durocher was more than just a little responsible.

I am less likely to criticize managers for bullpen management. Sometimes moves or non-moves fail and lead to losses, but there is no way of knowing if the alternative would have led to a loss as well. I don't think I've seen Ventura make any mistakes this year so egregious as the one made by the Blue Jays manager Saturday. The DH and specific roles for relief pitchers that are expected out of every team anymore eliminates most of the decisions managers make, especially considering how heavily they lean on their pitching coaches when deciding when to remove a starting pitcher, although I don't know how much say the Jays' pitching coach had in removing Stroman.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:52 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

All this Danks trade talk is quite laughable. No team is going to shell out 35+M before the trade deadline to get Danks and getting any return is not going to happen unless the Sox eat a large portion of his salary.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Durocher was one of five Hall-of-Famers on the 1969 Cubs that not only led the NL East by 8.5 games with six weeks to go, but were down 9 games to the Mets before beating them on the meaningless last day of the season to finish the season 8 games back. You really have to have lived through it (although as a Sox fan living in Cub-crazy Northwest Indiana, I didn't suffer through it) to have a feel for the magnitude of the collapse. Durocher was more than just a little responsible.
Leo played the same guys every day and wore them out. When the Mets made their move, there was nothing left to stop them. I missed it all. Roughing it south of the border, no contact with US sports news, no reason to check because they had it wrapped up. Crossed back into USA and they were still up a half game but the eventual outcome was obvious.

Who you gonna blame besides Leo? And of course, choking, which it's Leo's job to prevent. OK, I give some credit to a marvelous surge by the Mets. And chemistry. Leo walking off the team for a weekend to visit his wife's kid at summer camp during a crucial series. Pizza Man peeving off all of MLB and most of his teammates. Must have been a tight clubhouse that September.

Good times.

Last edited by slavko; 07-03-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Leo played the same guys every day and wore them out. When the Mets made their move, there was nothing left to stop them. I missed it all. Roughing it south of the border, no contact with US sports news, no reason to check because they had it wrapped up. Crossed back into USA and they were still up a half game but the eventual outcome was obvious.

Who you gonna blame besides Leo? And of course, choking, which it's Leo's job to prevent. OK, I give some credit to a marvelous surge by the Mets. And chemistry. Leo walking off the team for a weekend to visit his wife's kid at summer camp during a crucial series. Pizza Man peeving off all of MLB and most of his teammates. Must have been a tight clubhouse that September.

Good times.
Pitching stafff has to take alot of the blame for the collapse- when they lost 11 of 12 to give up the lead- they gave up 6+ runs in 7 of the 12 losses. To be fair to Durocher- not much of a bench to work with.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 07-03-2014, 06:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Pizza man chewing out centerfielder Don Young for an error that led to a Cubs loss didn't help either.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
All this Danks trade talk is quite laughable. No team is going to shell out 35+M before the trade deadline to get Danks and getting any return is not going to happen unless the Sox eat a large portion of his salary.
Agreed. The Sox would need to throw in salary and will get a Nestor Molina type back at best.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwny View Post
I'll agree with you both about Durocher but, Stengel was highly over rated.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...ally-messed-up

My point was that everybody knew who was in charge and where the buck stopped.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:39 AM
WSI Personality

Default The Summer of 1969

I will always have a warm spot in my heart for the Mets. Looking back at that 1969 season,has to be one of the greatest things I have seen in baseball. Young people have no idea how the Cubs talked and ran there mouths off. Ron Pizza Man/Scab/ Santo was the main villain. He even said that the Mets infield belonged in Tacoma. Theres a old saying, If you're going to talk the talk, you better walk the walk. The Mets kept winning and and the Cubs kept losing in September of 69. Pizza Man never got over the 69 season. He has always talked about how great the 69 Cubs team was. Yet that same team was together for years and they were never in the playoffs once.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
My point was that everybody knew who was in charge and where the buck stopped.
Me too. Those managers didn't care about any book, or rules of managing. They did the job as they saw fit. I know some baseball fans think Humpty Dumpty could have done just as well with those great Yankee teams as Stengel did.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Me too. Those managers didn't care about any book, or rules of managing. They did the job as they saw fit. I know some baseball fans think Humpty Dumpty could have done just as well with those great Yankee teams as Stengel did.
I don't care how talented the team is- if a manager delivers 5 consecutive World Series championships, 9 pennants in 10 years (one of the years they DIDN'T win- they won 101 games)- he was a pretty good manager-he was pretty innovative for his era- leveraging match ups for his starting pitching vs. specfiic clubs, an emphasis on the bullpen and platooning- pretty good write up here:

http://waswatching.com/2009/12/17/bo...casey-stengel/

Last edited by TomBradley72; 07-04-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Those guys were leaders, win or lose. There is not much leadership around these days.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:11 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Agreed. The Sox would need to throw in salary and will get a Nestor Molina type back at best.
And then we'll need THREE pitchers to fill out our rotation (really 5, if you want some depth injury). Go out on the market to get a pitcher, and you pay Danks' salary for maybe a little bit better pitcher PLUS you give up your first round pick (which in our case looks to be in the 10-15 range next year, if not a little higher).
Old 07-04-2014, 01:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post

Stengel was a huge proponent of the book when it came to righty/lefty match-ups. He platooned players depending who was on the mound.
Hank Bauer and Gene Woodling in lf/rf.
Moose Skowron and Joe Collins at 1st base
Bobby Brown and Gil Mc Dougal at 3rd base.
Yogi Berra and Elston Howard catching.
He had the horses to be able to platoon, most managers don't have this option.
Stengel went by the book and helped to popularize the book.