White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 06-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,358
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Listening to the announcers brings different perspectives. Buck Martinez raved on Beckham for covering first and making that play that nabbed the Jays' runner on the foul pop up (also mentioning a good play he made on a cutoff throw in an earlier game).
Hawk called the play a brain cramp by the Jays' runner.
Both are right really.
The Jays have been linked to Beckham since Spring Training. At one point, Stone mentioned that Toronto needs a second baseman. Hawk, being the StrongArm lover that he is, followed up with, "I think they need a third baseman more."
__________________


2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-29-2014, 08:37 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 27,409
Default

It is nice to win a series in Toronto, a place that hasn't been kind to the Sox in the past. It wasn't a good trip, but at least it ended on a high note. This could have easily been a 2-9 or 1-10 disaster.

Typically, good pitching is what stops a losing streak. Sometimes, four runs needs to be enough. Today, it was more than enough with the way Quintana pitched.
__________________
JB's attendance record:
2004: 14-5; 2005: 16-8; 2006: 19-10; 2007: 8-12; 2008: 15-7; 2009: 6-13; 2010: 12-11; 2011: 9-8; 2012: 11-7; 2013: 8-9; 2014: 6-8; Total: 124-98.
Next game: Sept. 27 vs. Kansas City

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-29-2014, 08:41 PM
Railsplitter Railsplitter is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Streamwood, IL
Posts: 6,295
Default



A Saturday win AND winning a four game road series? I'll take that one!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-29-2014, 08:47 PM
jdm2662 jdm2662 is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 7,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
The Jays have been linked to Beckham since Spring Training. At one point, Stone mentioned that Toronto needs a second baseman. Hawk, being the StrongArm lover that he is, followed up with, "I think they need a third baseman more."
The ol Hawk letting go his fellow Georgia boy? Never!
__________________
4-time WSI NFL Pick 'em vs Spread Champion
2009 2010 2011 2013
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-29-2014, 09:39 PM
MISoxfan MISoxfan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Just exhibit #1,352,271 why individual W-L record is utterly pointless, but I'm sure someone will defend it.
It is pointless, but Buehrle was pitching well enough during that period to deserve the attention he was given, anyway. It's not like he's fallen apart since then, either. He's 0-4 over his last five games, but his ERA has been a respectable 3.44. He's only had an average of 2.4 runs per game over that stretch, which again shows how pointless W is.

He still probably deserves to be an all star this season.

4th in WAR
4th in ERA
4th in ERA+
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-29-2014, 09:58 PM
HomeFish HomeFish is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,886
Default

Doesn't Buehrle still have a sub-3.00 ERA despite his losing streak?

Anyway, who more appropriate to beat Buehrle than Quintana?
__________________
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-29-2014, 10:31 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,358
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Anyway, who more appropriate to beat Buehrle than Quintana?
Actually Danks would have been more appropriate since he's essentially getting paid with the money the Sox wouldn't give Buehrle.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-30-2014, 12:17 AM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
That statistic is deceptive. It certainly shouldn't taint his win-loss record. Buehrle posted an ERA of 2.10 during his 10-1 start. Scott Carroll is 1-4 as a starter, and in three of those losses the White Sox were shut out, and wouldn't call his record as a starter deceptive. This was Buehrle's fourth loss since his 10-1 start, and in two of those losses the Blue Jays were shut out. Today he gave up two runs in eight. The last time he was shut out, he gave up one run in seven. Buehrle was pitching extremely well when he was gong 10-1, and he pitched very well today, as you would expect from a starting pitcher who earned 10 wins before the All-Star break.
You have defined the in- significance of the win / loss stat with this post.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-30-2014, 12:21 AM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
You have defined the in- significance of the win / loss stat with this post.

How is it insignificant if Mark Buehrle is having a great season and has 10 wins and Scott Carroll has struggled as a starter since his first two starts and only has one win as a starter? How does it not define the insignificance of run support if Scott Carroll in his losses has had less run support than Mark Buehrle in his wins?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-30-2014, 12:32 AM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
How is it insignificant if Mark Buehrle is having a great season and has 10 wins and Scott Carroll has struggled as a starter since his first two starts and only has one win as a starter? How does it not define the insignificance of run support if Scott Carroll in his losses has had less run support than Mark Buehrle in his wins?
It doesn't tell you how good or bad a pitcher is.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-30-2014, 04:31 AM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Actually Danks would have been more appropriate since he's essentially getting paid with the money the Sox wouldn't give Buehrle.
Such revisionist BS history. It was never Danks vs MB. It was about Buehrle getting a bigger contract than what he deserved. Mark exceeded his projections and Danks had a freak injury.

Quintana isn't comparable to Buehrle. Jose is a power pitcher. Mark has really good stuff, but doesn't throw hard. They're totally different pitchers.

Stuff does not equal velocity.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-30-2014, 05:26 AM
Noneck Noneck is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Such revisionist BS history. It was never Danks vs MB. It was about Buehrle getting a bigger contract than what he deserved. Mark exceeded his projections and Danks had a freak injury.
You nailed it on the head. Also Buehrle seemed to want the Sox to match an overpay contract at the time even though he only had the 5/10 clause with the Sox and a comfortable home for his family and dogs here. Buehrle wanted to be overpaid and have security for his family, it didnt happen and he took the money rather than the security and stability. Danks was paid the going rate at the time. It was the right move at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-30-2014, 05:50 AM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 18,218
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
You nailed it on the head. Also Buehrle seemed to want the Sox to match an overpay contract at the time even though he only had the 5/10 clause with the Sox and a comfortable home for his family and dogs here. Buehrle wanted to be overpaid and have security for his family, it didnt happen and he took the money rather than the security and stability. Danks was paid the going rate at the time. It was the right move at the time.
According to reports, the Sox didn't make any offer of any kind to Buehrle during or after the 2011 season. It wasn't that Buehrle would have had to take less money to stay, it's that the Sox didn't offer him a contract, period.
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-30-2014, 05:58 AM
Noneck Noneck is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
According to reports, the Sox didn't make any offer of any kind to Buehrle during or after the 2011 season. It wasn't that Buehrle would have had to take less money to stay, it's that the Sox didn't offer him a contract, period.
According to this Buehrle wanted the Sox to match and the Sox said dont let the door hit you on the rump, see ya later pal. Rightfully so on the Sox part.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1592404.story
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-30-2014, 07:03 AM
Soxzilla Soxzilla is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aurora
Posts: 1,784
Default

More important than all this Buehrle contract / W-L BS, did anyone catch Moises Sierra and Jose Quintana hug each other four times in the dugout? That was probably the funniest thing I've seen all season.

If anyone recorded the game and can turn that into an animated gif, please do so.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.