White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 02:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default *Official* "Q out-hurls Burls" 6/29 post gamer

Well, good way to end a disastrous road trip that should have been MUCH better.

Good to see Sierra get some revenge against his old team.

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: TBD
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)

Frank Thomas, Hall of Famer. I love the sound of that.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Default *OFFICIAL* Don't stop now boys postgamer 6-29-14

Nice team win today, Q beats Buerhle, Sierra with a homer and a nice catch, bullpen is flawless. 3 wins in a row is the best we have done this year, let's keep it going at home. Got to give the boys credit after some tough losses on this trip.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Finished the long road trip strong, now let's try to get back to .500 at home.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Nice team win today, Q beats Buerhle, Sierra with a homer and a nice catch, bullpen is flawless. 3 wins in a row is the best we have done this year, let's keep it going at home. Got to give the boys credit after some tough losses on this trip.

Yeah, repeated heart-breaking late inning losses can deflate a team for weeks sometimes. After a 1-7 start to the trip, I expected a 2-9 finish.

Also, I see some things haven't changed for Buehrle. The old Sunday lineup w/backups and minor leaguers getting their bi-weekly starts and, of course, no offensive support, reared it's ugly head again today.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

I saw a graphic on the Blue Jays telecast. Buehrle had run support of 6.8 during his 10-1 stretch.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:54 PM
WSI Guru

Interesting last three games in that, just as the Sox probably didn't deserve to get swept last weekend against the Twins as they played good enough to win, conversely this weekend they played poorly enough to not warrant winning three of four against the Blue Jays.

Baseball is a great game.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 06-29-2014, 04:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Listening to the announcers brings different perspectives. Buck Martinez raved on Beckham for covering first and making that play that nabbed the Jays' runner on the foul pop up (also mentioning a good play he made on a cutoff throw in an earlier game).
Hawk called the play a brain cramp by the Jays' runner.
Both are right really.

Surkamp looks like an upgrade. Maybe too early but at least he doesn't go out and walk one before really pitching.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
I saw a graphic on the Blue Jays telecast. Buehrle had run support of 6.8 during his 10-1 stretch.
That statistic is deceptive. It certainly shouldn't taint his win-loss record. Buehrle posted an ERA of 2.10 during his 10-1 start. Scott Carroll is 1-4 as a starter, and in three of those losses the White Sox were shut out, and wouldn't call his record as a starter deceptive. This was Buehrle's fourth loss since his 10-1 start, and in two of those losses the Blue Jays were shut out. Today he gave up two runs in eight. The last time he was shut out, he gave up one run in seven. Buehrle was pitching extremely well when he was gong 10-1, and he pitched very well today, as you would expect from a starting pitcher who earned 10 wins before the All-Star break.

Sergio Santos, on the other hand, certainly didn't look good for a pitcher whose departure upset so many fans. And he doesn't just pitch poorly in non-save situations. He hasn't had a save opportunity since he blew his third or eight in the first week of May. He hasn't saved a game since April.

On the Sunday old home-theme, Moises Sierra timed his second home run of the season nicely against the team that dumped him. The home run broke a string of five White Sox runs scored after the Sox had two outs and none on. That was a big run, as was the Flowers hit in the ninth today that made closing a bit easier. Petricka wouldn't have been diminished with the non-save-opportunity thing, having not defined himself as a closer.

The Carroll loss Thursday, in which he got no run support, was the only game on the roadtrip that the Sox couldn't have run. It wasn't always the bullpen. There were a couple of games where starters gave up leads and the Sox didn't come back. But the Webb games and the Belisario games loom large in the recent skid. With so much that went wrong, four losses on the roadtrip doesn't feel so bad.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Nice to have a LOOGY actually get hitters out! Good job, Surkamp.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Listening to the announcers brings different perspectives. Buck Martinez raved on Beckham for covering first and making that play that nabbed the Jays' runner on the foul pop up (also mentioning a good play he made on a cutoff throw in an earlier game).
Hawk called the play a brain cramp by the Jays' runner.
Both are right really.

Surkamp looks like an upgrade. Maybe too early but at least he doesn't go out and walk one before really pitching.
Oh, yeah, I was going to mention that in the TBGR but forgot - that WAS a good play by Beckham. My DH speculated that perhaps the runner did not realize that Beckham had snuck behind him at 1B, since Konerko was over in foul territory chasing the popup. Otherwise, you can't really explain that bad baserunning.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:26 PM
WSI High Priest

I agree that it was a little of both. Beckham showed great awareness in getting over there to finish the double play, but Mastroianni, had no business going that far off of first on a foul ball.
What I really enjoyed about Quintana's performance today was that he was able to utilize both the high fastball and breaking ball as strikeout pitches. If his breaking ball continues to improve, he can be an extremely effective pitcher going forward.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:44 PM
MMXXIII

New Buehrle > Old Buehrle

Old 06-29-2014, 05:45 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
Just exhibit #1,352,271 why individual W-L record is utterly pointless, but I'm sure someone will defend it.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Love MB, and I'll be glad when he's in the Sox Hall of Fame and at the unveiling of his statue. However, so glad we beat him today for Jose's 5th win. Jose does get the MB treatment - a lot fewer wins than his ERA would predict - but glad to see that we're getting the run support. Glad we have him locked up to a very good deal for the team right now, and if he keeps pitching like this and making progress in his career, we will surely see those 2019 and 2020 options exercised.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:03 PM
MMXXIII

Nice job to to take a series from one of the better teams in the league after the way this road trip has gone. Definitely going to try to get my butt to the park for 1-2 games this homestand. Hopefully they finally win one for me.