White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 10:43 AM
WSI Regular

Default Melky Cabrera

Wouldn't he be the perfect fit for LF next year? Makes contact, good glove, and 30 years old. A little PED issue but OK this year.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryChappas View Post
Wouldn't he be the perfect fit for LF next year? Makes contact, good glove, and 30 years old. A little PED issue but OK this year.
Considering that I don't see De Aza and Viciedo in the OF next year, we will need someone. The question is what happens with Jordan Danks, Jared Mitchell (struggling in AAA), and Trayce Thompson. Out of the three, I'm thinking you have to give Jordan Danks a shot to see if he'll be more than a 4th OF. Since Garcia and Semien can play the OF as super subs, is there really a need for someone like Danks if he doesn't get used regularly.

If Danks, Mitchell, or Thompson can't take the spot, I would definitely consider it.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:16 PM
WSI High Priest

He's going to command a huge price and is a risk in a number of ways. No thanks.

I'd rather the Sox go after one of the elite FA pitchers.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-29-2014, 11:51 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
He's going to command a huge price and is a risk in a number of ways. No thanks.

I'd rather the Sox go after one of the elite FA pitchers.
We should and expect to get both. We need to spend now or waste the talents of Jose and Sale. They will have the money. It is a shame that our minor league system can't even produce a corner OF. we only have ONE (m. johnson) real prospect that will play for us in the next few years. sad
Old 06-30-2014, 12:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryChappas View Post
We should and expect to get both. We need to spend now or waste the talents of Jose and Sale. They will have the money. It is a shame that our minor league system can't even produce a corner OF. we only have ONE (m. johnson) real prospect that will play for us in the next few years. sad
Are you not considering Rondon as a "real prospect" because he hasn't signed yet?
Old 06-30-2014, 09:17 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
Are you not considering Rondon as a "real prospect" because he hasn't signed yet?
Yes. I hope he signs and is our 4th or 5th starter for next year. I think that is a realistic goal. As far as free agent pitchers we all know Max is a pipe dream, but maybe Shields or Masterson? Masterson is down this year so maybe he will be reasonable. We will need at least one right hander.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Considering that I don't see De Aza and Viciedo in the OF next year, we will need someone. The question is what happens with Jordan Danks, Jared Mitchell (struggling in AAA), and Trayce Thompson. Out of the three, I'm thinking you have to give Jordan Danks a shot to see if he'll be more than a 4th OF. Since Garcia and Semien can play the OF as super subs, is there really a need for someone like Danks if he doesn't get used regularly.

I think Jordan Danks was given a shot after Garcia got hurt and confirmed again that he's not anything close to being an every day player in the majors.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:58 AM
WSI Regular

I would like to see what the Sierra kid could do with more playing time. He is only 25, but I don't think we can send him to minors this year. How long does a guy claimed off waivers have to wait to be sent down? 1 year?
Old 06-30-2014, 01:01 PM
WSI Regular

I would be ok with Melky in LF, but I would probably prefer signing Markakis instead. The Sox have plenty of money to also go and get Shields. I agree with a previous poster in that they have a window of about the next 5 years to win with Sale and Abreu in their primes. The catching position needs to be addressed too.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Ugh, no. Sox need to keep building the young core. Cabrera won't help sell tickets and he will cost considerably more money than he's worth.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Ugh, no. Sox need to keep building the young core. Cabrera won't help sell tickets and he will cost considerably more money than he's worth.
he'll be 30 beginning next year. It's not like we must sign him to a 3-year deal or anything. Look at the durations he's played for the last four team's he's been on.

"Remember Abner"
Old 07-01-2014, 08:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
I would be ok with Melky in LF, but I would probably prefer signing Markakis instead. The Sox have plenty of money to also go and get Shields. I agree with a previous poster in that they have a window of about the next 5 years to win with Sale and Abreu in their primes. The catching position needs to be addressed too.
I'd be happy with Markakis. Left-handed bat...decent outfielder....the name, itself, just sounds like he belongs on the south side. Wouldn't cost a ton of money, either.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Rondon is playing in Kannapolis?
Old 07-02-2014, 12:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I'd be happy with Markakis. Left-handed bat...decent outfielder....the name, itself, just sounds like he belongs on the south side. Wouldn't cost a ton of money, either.
I've always been a fan of Markakis. We will likely need another left handed power bat to replace Adam Dunn so Markakis might not be a bad option. He is also a career .289 hitter against Left Handed pitching so you don't have to hide him on the bench against tough LHP.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 07-02-2014, 02:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Melky would be a nice short term player, if we were closer to contending. Personally, I would prefer to see Eaton play left to reduce the chance of injury. Having Dunn's contract come off will open up possibilities for getting more starting pitching.