White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Default 6.28 Congratulations Tebman! Postgame thread

WOOT! Way to go big man. I await your recap...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-28-2014, 03:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Default *Official* 6/28 No Biggie Postgame Thread

Don't know how many more of these near-misses I can take, but I'll take the win.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:09 PM
WSI High Priest

About time they won a damn game on Saturday. Took until almost July, incredible.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

After losing all momentum in the top of ninth I thought we were dead in this ballgame. Especially the way things have gone during this nasty streak. Thankfully I was wrong.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

FIRST SATURDAY WIN THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-28-2014, 03:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Way to get it done! Now to work on not having 9th innings like that.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Don't know how many more of these near-misses I can take, but I'll take the win.
Near make, man, near make.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:05 PM
WSI Personality

On the Bluejay forum they ought to be pissed about their manager taking out the dominant starting pitcher who had made easy work of Tank because he was about a year late on his fastball.

But as for me, I'm thrilled with that decision.

Good job Putnam. Showed a lot of guts out there. 2 in a row. Streak?
Old 06-28-2014, 04:18 PM
WSI Prelate

This was pretty much like Sale's last start, but without Belisario at the end.

The heroics were different. Sale had much better stuff, didn't have to work as hard and pitched one more inning. But he still gave up two runs on a home run, going otherwise scoreless in a game where the White Sox took a 4-2 lead into the ninth.

In the extra-inning loss in Baltimore, when the White Sox were leading 4-0, I was thinking Noesi was going to have to pitch a complete game for the Sox to win the way their bullpen was going. I wonder if Blue Jays fans were thinking something similar today, that they needed to get through eight with their starter. Noesi in that game showed he was done, but today I'm not sure the Jays manager didn't do the the Sox a favor by yanking the starter after the Dunn walk, Abreu being the most dangerous hitter in the Sox lineup and on second with a two out double and Dunn being the only hitter in the Sox lineup who seemed dangerous over the first six.

Not to take anything away from Viciedo. He stepped up and put the Sox ahead and certainly deserves credit for that. He hasn't hit a lot of home runs this year, but this wasn't the first that put the Sox ahead late in a game where they looked beaten.

This didn't figure to be a high-scoring game. By some measures Sale was outpitched, but Stroman wasn't given a chance to pitch his way out of a two-out jam, and it ended up costing the Jays the game. Putnam gave up a run in the ninth before the good hitters came up and made his four-out save interesting, and it looks like the closer committee is 2-for-2 since Belisario came out Friday night. It is true, though, that it would have been an easier four-out save if the Sox had scored with the bases loaded and none out in the top of the ninth. Having Dunn at third and the bottom of the order coming up, isn't optimal for scoring, but not scoring remains frustrating.

When you look at the early losses when Lindstrom was struggling as closer (although that led to a couple of walkoff wins as well) and the later losses in games where Belisario was struggling as a closer, this team could easily have a winning record.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm flattered to be congratulated on this win, but I'll take it! Today's Totally Biased Game Recap elaborates on it, but it sure feels good to end the weird 12-straight-Saturday embarrassments we've had to see.

Just keep Belisario away from the mound in the ninth and we'll all sleep better.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:54 PM
WSI Guru

Very specific question for you guys who were paying more attention than me:

Bottom of the 8th, Juan Francisco singled past (what I thought was) Leurys at shortstop. In the top of the 8th, Alexei batted for Gillaspie and then went in to play in the bottom of the 8th. Was Alexei at 3B and Leurys at SS, or am I crazy? I'm trying to recreate this on Gameday, and it says Alexei went in at SS to start the bottom of the 8th while Leurys shifted to 3B. The other idea was that the Sox had a crazy shift on for Francisco since he's a LH bat, so Leurys was at third but shifted closer to 2B for that play. I wasn't paying complete attention at this point, so I may have missed it. The shift probably makes the most sense.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500
Old 06-28-2014, 05:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post

Bottom of the 8th, Juan Francisco singled past (what I thought was) Leurys at shortstop. In the top of the 8th, Alexei batted for Gillaspie and then went in to play in the bottom of the 8th. Was Alexei at 3B and Leurys at SS, or am I crazy? I'm trying to recreate this on Gameday, and it says Alexei went in at SS to start the bottom of the 8th while Leurys shifted to 3B. The other idea was that the Sox had a crazy shift on for Francisco since he's a LH bat, so Leurys was at third but shifted closer to 2B for that play. I wasn't paying complete attention at this point, so I may have missed it. The shift probably makes the most sense.
The inning opened with Garcia catching a line drive in his face at third. Ramirez was definitely playing short at that point, and it sure looked like Garcia on the play you reference. The MLB Network was carrying the White Sox coverage on, and Harrelson said it went past Garcia. I wasn't sure if it was a mistake by Harrelson or a shift that I hadn't noticed in the telecast.

I ended up guessing it was a defensive shift but apparently was just as confused as you were.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post

That's what I thought too, but the box score lists Garcia as having moved from SS to 3B and TCM at SS when he enters the game.

I said in the game thread I think on the single they were in a shift for a LH hitter. Alexei was up the middle and Garcia playing well off the line at 3B almost in the SS hole. When he fell down, Alexei who was moving the other direction just continued to third to cover the bag in case of a throw which made it look like Ramirez was playing 3B and Garcia SS while watching the play live.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
The inning opened with Garcia catching a line drive in his face at third. Ramirez was definitely playing short at that point, and it sure looked like Garcia on the play you reference. The MLB Network was carrying the White Sox coverage on, and Harrelson said it went past Garcia. I wasn't sure if it was a mistake by Harrelson or a shift that I hadn't noticed in the telecast.

I ended up guessing it was a defensive shift but apparently was just as confused as you were.
It did get past Garcia, which is why I assume they had a shift on.

Edit: and great point about Garcia catching the liner in self defense. I should have recalled that.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Yea, they has the shift on, with L. Garcia the only guy on the left side of the infield..