White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2014, 10:33 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Default Bullpen Updates

“Right now, we don’t have our closer,” Ventura said. “(Petricka is) used to (close situations). That doesn’t mean he’s going to be the one tomorrow, but he’s a back-end guy, whether it’s the ninth or a crucial seventh or eighth. He’s always come in in some volatile situations.”

The rookie said his hockey background helps him in high-pressure situations.
"When the rink really gets going, you become part of it and it feeds the adrenaline to play," Petricka said. "It's the same game; got to throw strikes. If it's not a strike, they're probably not gonna swing at it, so it makes it a lot tougher on yourself."

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 1h
ICYMI, #WhiteSox to rearrange bullpen. Will it be Jake Petricka, who said hockey background helps in tight spots? http://bit.ly/1mGzDLJ

<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 06-28-2014, 10:55 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 5m

Relivers like having defined roles. "I'm sure they do,'' Ventura said. 'But the role is when you come in get some outs. It's pretty simple.'
Old 06-28-2014, 11:07 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post

Relivers like having defined roles. "I'm sure they do,'' Ventura said. 'But the role is when you come in get some outs. It's pretty simple.'
Exactly - tell 'em, Robin.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:20 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Old 06-28-2014, 10:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

That's a pretty good response, derived from experience.

Most Sox fans who have watched the frustrating adventures of the designated closers this year probably wonder what took him so long.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:23 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Sox used three relievers to finish off Chris Sale's seventh win. Zach Putnam earned the save. Putnam was able to retire the top of Toronto's lineup in order to earn his first big league save.

It's just helping each other, picking each other up," Putnam said. "We have one guy in the 'pen who has some experience and the rest of us would be new to it. There haven't been any conversations [with coaches] about it. I assume it'll be based on freshness, our guys' stuff versus who's coming up."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cws&c_id=cws
Old 07-10-2014, 03:14 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien Jul 6

White Sox will see Scott Downs again. He signed with the Royals and was added to the major league roster.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Whatever Robin's doing with the pen, it's not working. You can't cut everyone on the team but you can fire the manager.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
Whatever Robin's doing with the pen, it's not working. You can't cut everyone on the team but you can fire the manager.
I've never seen a team improve its bullpen by firing the manager.

I have seen teams show market improvements in bullpen performance after firing their pitching coaches. The most dramatic turnaround in bullpen performance I ever saw was in Seattle in 1998. The pitching coach fired in Seattle was Nardi Contreras, who was hired by the White Sox and served until Don Cooper replaced him in July 2002.

I am not suggesting the White Sox fire Don Cooper.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:53 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Default Coop likes bullpen

"All of the guys are doing well in the jobs that they were expected to have: Sixth, seventh, eighth," Cooper said. "But the problem is we've yet to find a guy that can go out there on a consistent basis and get the last three outs, so to speak."

"With that being said, we still believe in them. They are our guys," Cooper said. "This is what we have and this is what we are going to go to war with. I'm OK with that. Each one is giving the best we got."

Old 07-11-2014, 10:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
"All of the guys are doing well in the jobs that they were expected to have: Sixth, seventh, eighth," Cooper said. "But the problem is we've yet to find a guy that can go out there on a consistent basis and get the last three outs, so to speak."

"With that being said, we still believe in them. They are our guys," Cooper said. "This is what we have and this is what we are going to go to war with. I'm OK with that. Each one is giving the best we got."

Just to state the obvious, what else can he do to get what he can out of this or any bunch of discards and slow learners? Tirades don't help, despite the fact that a lot of us cling to the belief that they do. He's just doing what a good supervisor with mediocre employees has to do.

The problem's not in the dugout, it's on the field.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Just to state the obvious, what else can he do to get what he can out of this or any bunch of discards and slow learners? Tirades don't help, despite the fact that a lot of us cling to the belief that they do. He's just doing what a good supervisor with mediocre employees has to do.

The problem's not in the dugout, it's on the field.

And the problem is more of experience and not having the closer guy.

I think Petricka, Putnam, Webb and Gurrera all have futures that could be good, but they are just figuring it out this year.

Bella clearly needs to be our guy before the last three outs..he is ok there.

Robin has been put in a no-win situation with this pen.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:00 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Dan Webb has been working with bullpen coach Bobby Thigpen on repeating his delivery.
"It's throwing a pitch and knowing what I did on a bad pitch," said Webb of the work. "Feeling it, that I have to fix that right away and not let it keep going."

Old 07-14-2014, 07:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

How about you get guys out. That's your role.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:44 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Taylor Thompson made his Major League debut Sunday.

Sox had been going one bullpen arm short for the first two games of the second half, with Carlos Sanchez serving as an extra utility infielder. They had Scott Carroll in relief in an emergency, but with Carroll's start coming up Tuesday, the White Sox needed reinforcements.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...k_cws&c_id=cws

Ventura postponed the decision as to whether Lindstrom would resume his closer duties upon return. Zach Putnam and Jake Petricka are handling that role, with Lindstrom just trying to get back into action.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...k_cws&c_id=cws