White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2014, 11:34 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
https://twitter.com/cst_soxvan/statu...11875235631104

@CST_soxvan: Belisario is done as closer. Ventura said TBD. Petricka in mix, RV will discuss with Cooper.
I say either Cooper or Thigpen should come in to close before Belisario ever gets another chance.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:35 PM
WSI Guru

As much as I want to like Gillaspie, I can't see the Sox ever winning anything with him as the starting third baseman.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
As much as I want to like Gillaspie, I can't see the Sox ever winning anything with him as the starting third baseman.
Yea, he's not a very good third baseman. He played a couple of games at 1st last year, how did he look over there? I could see him being kind of like Mark Grace, he hits for a high average with a lot of doubles but not much power.

Go Sox!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 11:46 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Yea, he's not a very good third baseman. He played a couple of games at 1st last year, how did he look over there? I could see him being kind of like Mark Grace, he hits for a high average with a lot of doubles but not much power.
Yep, I've mentioned that idea too. His hands are just awful over at third. Just makes you appreciate how good Ventura and Crede were for so many years. Herbert Perry was smoother at 3B than Conor.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Needs to learn some outfield, and be the 24th man on a good roster.

On a side note, why does the worst hitter on the team, L Garcia, lead off?

Alexei's playing his rear off; I guess we'll try to move him, but he's worth a strong, strong return.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I don't think his defense will allow him to stick. He's not terrible, he's also not very good. Ideally, he would be a good backup 1B and 3B. It will be interesting to see if Petricka can cut it.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Neither wore/wears batting gloves, IIRC. Among other coincidences.
I'm telling you why,
Santa Claus is dead.
---Smothers Brothers
Aw, Merry Christmas anyway.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:10 AM
WSI Regular

Strikeouts for Jose have been down the last week or two and his AVG/OBP is creeping up. That's a good sign for a young player who is having to readjust as the league has adjusted to him. I try not to get too excited this early in a career but what is their about Jose not to like? The guy appears to be a true competitor and I believe he has the mental side to keep up with his physical skills
Old 06-28-2014, 12:15 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
I say either Cooper or Thigpen should come in to close before Belisario ever gets another chance.
Honestly Thigpen might not be much worse....
Old 06-28-2014, 12:15 AM
WSI Personality

I like Gillaspie as a full-time player splitting between 3B/1B/DH with the majority of starts at DH. I don't mind playing with a full-time DH either, but if we are going to go this route having a player like him is really the way to go. Conor is hitting better than 2 of the 4 designated hitters ESPN lists as full-time, anyway.

Of course this presents a problem with Viciedo for next season, but unless Dayan starts hitting better than anything we've ever seen from him he does not have the bat for DH.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Needs to learn some outfield, and be the 24th man on a good roster.

On a side note, why does the worst hitter on the team, L Garcia, lead off?

Alexei's playing his rear off; I guess we'll try to move him, but he's worth a strong, strong return.
I'm guessing it's because it shakes up the lineup the least.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:04 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Tonight's wasn't an easy save. I don't care enough about the save statistic to look up the "tough save" definition, but I would think coming in with the bases loaded, one out and only a two-run lead would qualify. He allowed an inherited runner to score, but in that situation it was only cosmetic. Guerra already has a blown save this year, having given up the eighth-inning grand slam that tied the second of two walkoff losses in Baltimore.

The Giants announcers thought Petricka was especially impressive last week. They liked his stuff. He might emerge from the recent closing mess (before this roadtrip it was more of an issue than a mess) in the closer role. The problem is that what he was doing earlier in games will have to be replaced.
This may not be a popular opinion, but perhaps Belisario can go back to pitching in that 7th/8th inning role. From late April into mid-May, he had a stretch where he allowed only one unearned run over 11 or 12 appearances. Then, he was named closer, and he's been ineffective ever since. He just seems like a guy who can handle setup relief, but falls apart when asked to close. His fortunes turned from good to bad basically overnight, at the precise moment he was given ninth inning duties.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 06-28-2014, 01:17 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
I'm guessing it's because it shakes up the lineup the least.
Probably so but I don't see what's gained by not shaking the lineup. Just put Alexei up there or someone who can get on base once in a while.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
This may not be a popular opinion, but perhaps Belisario can go back to pitching in that 7th/8th inning role. From late April into mid-May, he had a stretch where he allowed only one unearned run over 11 or 12 appearances. Then, he was named closer, and he's been ineffective ever since. He just seems like a guy who can handle setup relief, but falls apart when asked to close. His fortunes turned from good to bad basically overnight, at the precise moment he was given ninth inning duties.
Agreed, I think Belisario will do fine in the setup role. He has good stuff and is familiar to the role.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Gillaspie is not a future anything. He has no power, is not fast and isn't a good fielder.

That Ventura sure is a quick learner, isn't he?

Take away Abreu and the Sox are worse than last year.