White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 10:34 PM
WSI High Priest

What I'm excited about:

Alexei busting out this year after he had a rough personal and professional year last year. One thing that gets overlooked, he's 13-16 in SBs. Not the best % on the team, but he has the most steals.

Sale continues to show Cy Young potential, and we're not having to pay him $25-30 million a year for it.

Abreu is showing MVP hitting ability, and we're not having to pay him $25-30 million a year for it. Both Sale and Abreu's contracts could be HUGE steals for us.

Quintana is overshadowed by another lefty, but he is throwing good, solid ball this year.

Garcia is making good progress in his recovery. He will be an integral part of the outfield next year.

Conor is having a great year. We needed a 3B, and he's been a welcomed surprise. It's not like he's hitting almost .320 after 100 at-bats. He's at about 225 ABs, and he's leading the team in two-baggers.

Both Dunn and Flowers are hitting about 30-40 points higher than I thought they would. They still strike out a ton and neither is good on defense, but hey, a lot better than hovering around .200.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:06 PM
WSI Personality

Default CBC works

We are undefeated since going to the CBC (Closer by Committee)

Parity in the AL. 84 wins might get you a wildcard berth

Got rid of Downs. Heard we are close to signing Ups.

Quintana is getting even better. Trade for another solid starter and this team could still sneak into the playoffs
Old 06-30-2014, 07:43 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
What I'm excited about:

Alexei busting out this year after he had a rough personal and professional year last year. One thing that gets overlooked, he's 13-16 in SBs. Not the best % on the team, but he has the most steals.

Sale continues to show Cy Young potential, and we're not having to pay him $25-30 million a year for it.

Abreu is showing MVP hitting ability, and we're not having to pay him $25-30 million a year for it. Both Sale and Abreu's contracts could be HUGE steals for us.

Quintana is overshadowed by another lefty, but he is throwing good, solid ball this year.

Garcia is making good progress in his recovery. He will be an integral part of the outfield next year.

Conor is having a great year. We needed a 3B, and he's been a welcomed surprise. It's not like he's hitting almost .320 after 100 at-bats. He's at about 225 ABs, and he's leading the team in two-baggers.

Both Dunn and Flowers are hitting about 30-40 points higher than I thought they would. They still strike out a ton and neither is good on defense, but hey, a lot better than hovering around .200.
I agree with most of your points but we are only at the end of June. June was not kind to Alexei( .230 ish) or Flowers ( .130 ish). Even Conor took a big dip to .260 for the month. If those 3 have a bad July then the early showing may have been a hot streak in the cool weather.

Now if the Sox can find one everyday player at AAA who can get called up and hit at least .250.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Even with the dip in hitting we were a few good closes away from a successful road trip.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Now that the Sox are coming home there will be a significant increase in churro consumption among WSI devotees--oh yeah.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:46 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I agree with most of your points but we are only at the end of June. June was not kind to Alexei( .230 ish) or Flowers ( .130 ish). Even Conor took a big dip to .260 for the month. If those 3 have a bad July then the early showing may have been a hot streak in the cool weather.

Now if the Sox can find one everyday player at AAA who can get called up and hit at least .250.
I'm not sweating a .260 June for Conor. Even perennial .300+ hitters have months where they hit .260.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Matt Davidson is coming on at AAA-hitting .306 with 1.141 OPS over his past 10 games-steady improvement month by month- .167 (April), .198(May), .239(June), .333(July)- if he can solidify his place on the 2015 WSox with a continued rebound at AAA and hopefully doing well in a September call up- would be a nice piece in the long term puzzle along with Eaton, A. Garcia and Abreu (and probably Micah Johnson).

He's only 23 yo- one of the younger prospects at AAA-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 07-08-2014, 12:26 AM
MMXXIII

1 ER over the last 30 innings, 2 shut outs in a row, 4 games under .500, and amazingly just 6 games out of the final wild card spot...
Old 07-08-2014, 12:38 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
1 ER over the last 30 innings, 2 shut outs in a row, 4 games under .500, and amazingly just 6 games out of the final wild card spot...
Kind of looking at house you can't quite afford; but at least you can dream.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Matt Davidson is coming on at AAA-hitting .306 with 1.141 OPS over his past 10 games-steady improvement month by month- .167 (April), .198(May), .239(June), .333(July)- if he can solidify his place on the 2015 WSox with a continued rebound at AAA and hopefully doing well in a September call up- would be a nice piece in the long term puzzle along with Eaton, A. Garcia and Abreu (and probably Micah Johnson).

He's only 23 yo- one of the younger prospects at AAA-

Now there is a some good news.....Davidson needs to be the real deal in a year or three.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
Now there is a some good news.....Davidson needs to be the real deal in a year or three.
Yeah well he's been terrible since that post. If Davidson isn't contributing three years from now the Sox will have given up on him.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:33 AM
WSI Personality

Default Jose Abreu

It looks like the White Sox hit a home run with the signing of Jose Abreu. I've never seen a hitter in my lifetime like him. I can't think of anybody else like him. He hits the ball harder and longer to the opposite field better than anyone else consistently. Barring injuries, he looks like he's going to have a special career. I'm already starting to worry if the White Sox are going to be able to resign him after his six year contract is up. The White Sox have had two great hitters in my lifetime, Frank Thomas and Dick Allen. It looks like Jose Abreu is the third.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

I find myself making time to watch these guys again. Hahn has done a great job. They have so many young bright spots it's ridiculous. The White Sox are going to be VERY good within a short time.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:11 AM
WSI High Priest

We're improved this year- and we'll add A. Garcia, Rodon and Davidson (hopefully his improvement at AAA continues)- adding young/quality RF, 3B and a starter will be major upgrades.

Hahn needs to find a closer and a decent catcher via trade and/or free agency-
Old 07-13-2014, 09:31 AM
WSI Personality

Gillaspie has been showing flashes of home run power lately. He hit a couple right down the right field line at Fenway.

Maybe he'll hit 10 or 12 home runs in addition to batting around .300. That's not too bad really. His defense seems to be improving as well.

I like the moves Rick Hahn has made so far. Hopefully he can get somebody to bite on Dunn later this month. Addition by subtraction.