White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 12:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
****ty job by Flowers on that last pitch, by the way. Watching the replay now. He needs to block that pitch. He tried to backhand it like he always does. Guy on third base, he needs to slide over and block that. It wasn't even that far outside.
That's our TFlo, a .220 hitter and a suspect defender.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:37 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
****ty job by Flowers on that last pitch, by the way. Watching the replay now. He needs to block that pitch. He tried to backhand it like he always does. Guy on third base, he needs to slide over and block that. It wasn't even that far outside.
Agree
Why does Nieto only catch once a week? He can catch better than that.
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I mean, I'm not saying the Sox are very good here, but come on, four 1-run losses in a single week? That's just bad luck. There's absolutely no statistical correlation between how good or bad a team is and their record in 1-run ballgames. Those are always essentially just coin flips.
I have no evidence of this (and it's too late and I need to be up early) but I think you would be pretty hard pressed to find a good team with a bad record in one run games and vice-versa. It seems like one of the things that separates the good teams from the bad is their records in one run games. Maybe that's luck, but luck tends to even out over 162 games.

Go Sox!!!
WSI Church Elder

Should have swept this team, in fact, we should have taken 3 outta 4 from the Twins. This bullpen is the ****ing worst.
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
The latter part is what is crucial here. Bad teams find ways to lose these kind of games. We're 1-6 and playing exactly like we did last year, but we have more talent than last year.
I don't see better talent than last year.

The pitching staff is complete junk compared to last year.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:38 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
It was a terrible job, but it was also a 96 mph fastball. He didn't have a lot of time to move over to block that. But he has a lot of problems with pitches low and away, regardless of speed.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:39 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Of course you're correct. He's terrible, offensively and defensively. I remember when he was sold to us as a defensive upgrade over the Pierzynski years. Bull****. I'm not saying A.J. was good defensively. He was not. But to suggest that Flowers is a good receiver, or a good thrower, or a good caller of games, is just ridiculous.

He always calls for an offspeed pitch when the count is full, because that's what he can't hit. The whole ****ing league probably knows it by now. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Nieto get more time. I'm not sure Nieto's bat would be very good, but I'd like him to get a longer look.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 06-26-2014, 12:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
If Webb had come in and given up a home run, I wouldn't have liked it, but I could have dealt with it.

What I can't deal with is walking a No. 9 hitter who is hitting .195. I also can't deal with losing the game on a wild pitch. That is minor-league ****, so Webb needs to go to Charlotte where he belongs.

I've been a supporter of his in the past, but I'm done with that. Getting beat is one thing, giving away games is quite another. Webb has given away two games on this trip.

Bring up Surkamp. If Robin insists on using a lefty reliever in high-leverage situations, it might as well be Surkamp instead of Downs.
I'd be stunned if Webb is not sent down after this one. The walks are what got Cleto and Veal back on the Charlotte express bus. He has no control. I too was high on Webb especially after how he looked last year. Sadly, I wonder if the death of his Mom back in March has messed with his head. Regardless, Hahn has a job to do.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 06-26-2014, 12:40 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I don't see better talent than last year.

The pitching staff is complete junk compared to last year.
Bullpen especially.

But, this team has a leadoff hitter and a cleanup hitter. Last year's team did not. So I guess there's that.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:42 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I have no evidence of this (and it's too late and I need to be up early) but I think you would be pretty hard pressed to find a good team with a bad record in one run games and vice-versa. It seems like one of the things that separates the good teams from the bad is their records in one run games. Maybe that's luck, but luck tends to even out over 162 games.
Well obviously teams that do well in 1-run games get their actual W-L record inflated, it's more that it's one of those stats that just doesn't carry over very well from season to season because it is so random. If your team is overall winning about 40% of its games and 40% of its one-run games, OK, that makes sense. But if your team is 20 games over .500 in 1-R games and just .500 in all other games, that's generally a red flag, case in point, the 2012-2013 Orioles.

It's like BABIP; if Player X is a career .250 hitter and then one year he hits .300, but his BABIP that season was also 50 or so points higher than his career average, you would be likely to conclude that his outlying performance is more thanks to some good ol' fashioned luck and less on heightened skill or anything like that.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:43 AM
WSI Prelate

Btw, I counted 4 out of 6 ABs for Abreu where he led off the inning.

Sorry, I still give 2 ****s about some stat geek and his L/R studies.

Hit this guy 3rd and leave him there.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:46 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
But, this team has a leadoff hitter and a cleanup hitter. Last year's team did not. So I guess there's that.
I'm glad we have them and Sale to build on, but it doesn't matter if most of the other 22 guys aren't giving their share. This is not a team built to close out close games. Not saying that was by design, but every team in transition has its growing pains and unfortunately, this is what they are.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Of course you're correct. He's terrible, offensively and defensively. I remember when he was sold to us as a defensive upgrade over the Pierzynski years. Bull****. I'm not saying A.J. was good defensively. He was not. But to suggest that Flowers is a good receiver, or a good thrower, or a good caller of games, is just ridiculous.

He always calls for an offspeed pitch when the count is full, because that's what he can't hit. The whole ****ing league probably knows it by now. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Nieto get more time. I'm not sure Nieto's bat would be very good, but I'd like him to get a longer look.
His calling of games certainly does suck. At the MLB level he has no pluses, on any level.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I certainly didn't buy into it, and neither did a lot of other Sox fans, yourself included.

I asked you this a few weeks ago, and now I'm going to throw it out here. Aside from TFlow, who is the last player this organization was so obsessed with and high on to the point that he got countless chances to prove he's a "star?" Josh Fields?

Did it ever occur to this organization that the power Kenny saw from TFlow when he was with Atlanta in the minors was generated by the PEDs he was taking at the time?

Truthfully, I can't remember the last time I hated a Sox player as much as I hate TFlow. The dude seriously has to go.
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 06-26-2014, 12:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Dan Hayes on twitter is saying Scott Downs was hugging teammates and saying goodbyes, hope that means he's outta here.