White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2014, 07:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Report: Sox and Mariners discussing Dayan Viciedo trade

Make it happen Hahn. Time to cut the cord with Viciedo:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...-viciedo-trade

Mariners Blog weighs in on rumor. Pretty spot on scouting report on Tank too:

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2014/3...do-shouldnt-be
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 06-25-2014, 08:37 PM
WSI Guru

I didn't look at the links yet, but Viciedo was tied to Seattle in Spring Training, and the return was going to be that bust outfield prospect...trying to remember his name...was it Saunders?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:41 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I didn't look at the links yet, but Viciedo was tied to Seattle in Spring Training, and the return was going to be that bust outfield prospect...trying to remember his name...was it Saunders?
Those two stories are from spring training, each dated in march. But you remember correctly---the 2nd story mentions Saunders.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:38 PM
WSI High Priest

After reading that scouting report you have to ask why any team would ever want Tank. Not much we could get for him but there are some dumb GMs out there so maybe one of them will take a chance on him but what could we get in return?
Old 06-28-2014, 04:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Doesn't excite me much because a)I don't think we'll get much for him b)he has a lot of potential. Yes, he may not reach that potential but I'm willing to risk losing the light return we'll get (players with low ceilings) to see if he can hit that potential.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
After reading that scouting report you have to ask why any team would ever want Tank. Not much we could get for him but there are some dumb GMs out there so maybe one of them will take a chance on him but what could we get in return?
I think the answer is not much. You're looking at a project prospect, a guy who has some potential but is struggling (a busy), or a AAAA guy. Mgnt. Anything more than that is a steal.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:26 PM
WSI Prelate

I may take that young SS who, so far, can't hit. That would be a potential for potential trade.
Then trade Alexei, someone whose value should be soaring.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Well maybe his stock went up today with his 3 run homer.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:09 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

At this point what you see is what you get, he is no prospect anymore. Strictly a DH with limited power, low on base percentage, poor speed on base paths, basically worth very little.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Those two stories are from spring training, each dated in march. But you remember correctly---the 2nd story mentions Saunders.
Yeah, I didn't check the date stamp on those articles but the rumor mill on Twitter was talking currently about the M's interest in Viciedo. I wouldn't mind a Viciedo trade at all. I think Sierra could probably give you similar offensive production and give a big defensive upgrade. Not sure if I'm sold on Sierra as a long term solution but I would like to see the Sox cut the cord with Tank.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:39 PM
WSI High Priest

While this is all really old, I would not be shocked in the least to see us deal some combo of Tank and a reliever or such to Seattle for Montero, they seem to be pretty down on him.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:01 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

I have to admit, I'll be sad to see the Tank go. I was really excited the day they signed him. I was seeing Miguel Cabreras in my eyes. I was probably almost as excited as when they signed Abreu. I really wish he had been a better player for us.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
While this is all really old, I would not be shocked in the least to see us deal some combo of Tank and a reliever or such to Seattle for Montero, they seem to be pretty down on him.
Tank and Ronald Belisario for Jesus Montero and a minor league pitching prospect (probably low minors)?

If the Sox did that, I could see a lefty/righty platoon of Gillaspie and Montero at DH next season with Gillaspie playing some 3B and 1B as a backup and Montero catching occasionally.

Matt Davidson has been hitting well lately and hitting for power. Hope we see him in September and hope that he plays well enough in the last two months to challenge to be the Sox third baseman next year.

Hope the Sox call up Chris Beck and Micah Johnson, too, this September. Would like to see all of them play a few games.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:09 AM
WSI Prelate

Jose Bautista was garbage until he turned 29; Carlos Gomez did nothing until 27. Exceptions, obviously, except that they didn't just turn into competent hitters, they turned into exceptional hitters. It doesn't mean that you should hold onto everyone until they are 27.
It just means that you need to be careful and there's not reason to give him away.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Jose Bautista was garbage until he turned 29; Carlos Gomez did nothing until 27. Exceptions, obviously, except that they didn't just turn into competent hitters, they turned into exceptional hitters. It doesn't mean that you should hold onto everyone until they are 27.
It just means that you need to be careful and there's not reason to give him away.
Jesus Montero is hardly giving him away, he was a much better prospect than Tank ever was.