White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2014, 02:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
It very well may have an effect on Jose because he thinks it will. I do agree that if it's going to have such a psychological effect on him, he probably shouldn't do it.
That's one way to look at it. Of course, Yogi Berra is credited with saying 90 percent of hitting is half mental. There is good reason to believe that psychology as well as physics is part of the science of hitting.

I'm not going by stats when I write this, and I've talked with major league hitters and still-current major league hitting coaches about hitting. The mechanics and timing involved in a home run derby are different from the successful mechanics, pitch recognition and timeing in hitting in major league competition. If hitters who are going well don't want to change their swing and timing to participate in a midseaon power exhibition, I won't diminish the decision not to participate to a mental block.

I would prefer to have players on my team who would blow off midseason exhibitions in favor of helping my team win, regardless of my team's record.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
The other example, closer to home, is Paul Konerko after the 2002 version. PK went into about a year and a half slump.

Hats off to you.

Only much later,after the fact, did Sox fans find out PK MIGHT have injured his foot swinging away in the HR Derby.He had a very
small fracture in one of his feet,IIRC. His production from the second half of the '02 season and the entire '03 season was horrendous.
PK had no power and could not hit for average.This was very hard for me to watch.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:19 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post

Hats off to you.

Only much later,after the fact, did Sox fans find out PK MIGHT have injured his foot swinging away in the HR Derby.He had a very
small fracture in one of his feet,IIRC. His production from the second half of the '02 season and the entire '03 season was horrendous.
PK had no power and could not hit for average.This was very hard for me to watch.
That's a different issue though. Barring a fluke injury there's nothing to say a player can't be just fine after doing the HR derby. Now I do agree that a guy who lives on line drives but doesn't have a natural HR swing (like PK) might send himself into a funk for a few weeks after the derby if they rebuilt their swing just for that moment, but anything longer than that it's got to be mental, which I agree plays a huge role in the ability to hit.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-14-2014, 10:48 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Default All-Star pitchers weigh in on All-Star Abreu blasts against them

"I wanted to have a good season for the Chicago White Sox," Abreu said Monday on the eve of his first Midsummer Classic. "What I've done in the first half has surpassed my expectations. I'm really blessed."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...ticle_84713068

<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>