White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2014, 12:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Not really working for the Chicago Fire- I'm convinced their attendance would be higher if they had built in the city- downtown Chicago is a great destination- and I think it adds value to anyone looking to go to a sporting event (whether with family or friends).
I think they should have built the Bears a new stadium south of Soldier Field and downsize Soldier Field for soccer.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFanCPA View Post
When I lived in Beverly, I attended games all the time, but now that I'm in the suburbs, the travel time is always above an hour. I just don't want to sit in traffic anymore. A suburban stadium would be great for me.
OK but the suburbs of Chicago are so vast that depending on the location of a new suburban stadium you might miss the commute you have now.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:42 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
OK but the suburbs of Chicago are so vast that depending on the location of a new suburban stadium you might miss the commute you have now.
Right exactly not to mention the entire transit network here is completely terrible for inter-suburban travel. When I visit my in-laws in the NW burbs it blows my mind how hard it is to get anywhere.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 06-19-2014, 12:42 PM
WSI High Priest

I hope that Reinsdorf sells out before the lease expires, to someone like Mark Cuban, a billionaire who will build a new stadium with a retractable roof in the South Loop. He got shut out of the Cub purchase, but he knows that these franchises do not depreciate, and are a decent investment.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
I hope that Reinsdorf sells out before the lease expires, to someone like Mark Cuban, a billionaire who will build a new stadium with a retractable roof in the South Loop. He got shut out of the Cub purchase, but he knows that these franchises do not depreciate, and are a decent investment.
I just hope JR sells. Soon

I work in Elk Grove - weeknight games are at least a one hour commute. Just sitting on 290. Every single time. Just sitting in traffic. Sometimes close to 90 minutes desk to gate

I live in Downers Grove. If the Stevenson doesn't have lane closures (which happen quite frequently) the drive home after the game is less than hour. And this includes a stop in Clearing to drop off the friend I meet at the game. He works downtown and takes the Red Line to the games

We do very few weekend games, and we choose a few get-away weekday games. I love those games - the 1/2 day of work followed by the afternoon off at the game. But then I have a 90 minute drive home on the Stevenson. arghhh - just sitting in traffic

I am sick and tired of the pre-game drive but I continue to do it, despite the hassle. 14 games a year, mostly weeknight games. I'll keep doing it - no matter what - because I like going to Sox games. It's always a good time - even if they get blow a late lead.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Don't let anybody tell you differently, Einhorn wanted to move the White Sox to St. Pete. When the White Sox agreed to stay in Chicago, Einhorn sold virtually all of his White Sox stock to JR. He then disappeared from the scene in Chicago and moved to Arizona. I was surprised to see him at the World Series parade. He is rarely here in Chicago. Maybe he was badly wounded by the Sportsvision fiasco. He thought the franchise was better off in Florida. He didn't like playing second fiddle to the Cubs here. I have no doubt in my mind that he would of still rather moved the team to Florida. He would of rather been a big fish in a small pond than play second fiddle to the Cubs. He even threw a dig at White Sox fans the week of the final stadium vote when he said "I really don't know how much of a fanbase the White Sox have in Chicago". Former sportswriter Jerome Holtzman responded by saying'' Did he forget the 2 million plus people the White Sox drew in 1983 and 1984"? He not only was wrong about Sportsvision but he was also wrong about St. Pete. The present ownerships handling of Sportsvision and the stadium issue have hurt the franchise badly.
Einhorn was President of the White Sox into the 90s and currently Vice Chairman. He lives in New Jersey. He dissappeared from being a front man, but has always remained involved with the team, and still owns significant shares.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Don't let anybody tell you differently, Einhorn wanted to move the White Sox to St. Pete. When the White Sox agreed to stay in Chicago, Einhorn sold virtually all of his White Sox stock to JR. He then disappeared from the scene in Chicago and moved to Arizona. I was surprised to see him at the World Series parade. He is rarely here in Chicago. Maybe he was badly wounded by the Sportsvision fiasco. He thought the franchise was better off in Florida. He didn't like playing second fiddle to the Cubs here. I have no doubt in my mind that he would of still rather moved the team to Florida. He would of rather been a big fish in a small pond than play second fiddle to the Cubs. He even threw a dig at White Sox fans the week of the final stadium vote when he said "I really don't know how much of a fanbase the White Sox have in Chicago". Former sportswriter Jerome Holtzman responded by saying'' Did he forget the 2 million plus people the White Sox drew in 1983 and 1984"? He not only was wrong about Sportsvision but he was also wrong about St. Pete. The present ownerships handling of Sportsvision and the stadium issue have hurt the franchise badly.
Your information is not correct. Florida was no more than a fallback. Einhorn lives in New Jersey, not Arizona. Your financial information is also incorrect as to why he sold.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltypretzel View Post
i think they should have built the bears a new stadium south of soldier field and downsize soldier field for soccer.
+1
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 06-19-2014, 02:37 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPretzel View Post
I think they should have built the Bears a new stadium south of Soldier Field and downsize Soldier Field for soccer.
If "they" refers to the McCaskey family, then yes. If "they" refers to the taxpayers of Illinois, then no.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelrod View Post
Your information is not correct. Florida was no more than a fallback. Einhorn lives in New Jersey, not Arizona. Your financial information is also incorrect as to why he sold.
I don't believe that for a nanosecond. Of course I was and am no insider but I remember thinking that Einhorn and Reinsdorf seemed disappointed they weren't going to Florida. Like there was gold to be mined in Florida similar to California in 1958. They wouldn't have been the only ones to think that. I remember when the Marlins came to south Florida all the comparisons to LA and the Dodgers. Never happened. Florida has not been kind to MLB.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:57 PM
WSI Personality

There is a surge of companies shuttering their suburban office parks and moving their headquarters into the city without any tax incentive. The reason is that many young people, whom they wish to attract as employees, prefer the city and the things that go along with it, such as not having a car. Certainly they are not seeing traffic on the roads as something that they should care about. Moving the team out to the middle of the Yukon so there can be clear highways and vast parking lots will not help a team appeal to younger generations.

What's wrong with US Cellular Field is that it's too suburban. The park is surrounded by parking lots and it is a long walk to get to most bars and restaurants in the area (though there are good ones). ChiSox Bar & Grill has the feeling of a Chili's in a shopping mall right next to Chicago Sports Depot. The saving quality of the park is that it's near two L lines, a Metra station and there is even a place to pick up a Divvy. For many people it's actually really easy to get to, though those are people not in cars.

You can't play baseball without Pants.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:20 AM
WSI High Priest

I don't think either the South Loop or West Side locations were a good idea, due to the possible shady deals, traffic, and/or sharing with other teams.

And if Addision went through, I'm convinced the Sox could have left town, since they would have cut ties with the city and a large part of the fanbase. Had they not planned things properly economically, they'd easily could have found a better deal in another city, with no Chicago dealmakers or fan ties to keep them here.

Besides, the Sox staying in Bridgeport was a big deal back then.

IMO, where they are now was the best move, even though some choices made weren't the best - like facing the stadium south, not north; not redeveloping neighborhood businesses that were torn down (like how Arsenal redeveloped the surrounding area after building Emirates) instead of leaving big parking lots, stadium design errors (plus Jerry being in love with Dodgers Stadium, that forced architects hands) that have been partially rectified, etc.

I often wonder how much better the Cell would be had they stayed in Comiskey 2-4 more years and seen the impact of Camden Yards' city views and architecture, and the stadiums built afterwards.

Last edited by russ99; 06-20-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:12 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoItForDanPasqua View Post
There is a surge of companies shuttering their suburban office parks and moving their headquarters into the city without any tax incentive. The reason is that many young people, whom they wish to attract as employees, prefer the city and the things that go along with it, such as not having a car. Certainly they are not seeing traffic on the roads as something that they should care about. Moving the team out to the middle of the Yukon so there can be clear highways and vast parking lots will not help a team appeal to younger generations.

What's wrong with US Cellular Field is that it's too suburban. The park is surrounded by parking lots and it is a long walk to get to most bars and restaurants in the area (though there are good ones). ChiSox Bar & Grill has the feeling of a Chili's in a shopping mall right next to Chicago Sports Depot. The saving quality of the park is that it's near two L lines, a Metra station and there is even a place to pick up a Divvy. For many people it's actually really easy to get to, though those are people not in cars.
I can't complain about ChiSox Bar & Grill. Us fans bitched for years for development in the parking lots and the organization responded with a really nice 2 story bar and an equally nice 2 story team shop.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 06-20-2014, 09:27 AM
WSI Personality

This discussion is mute until Reinsdorf decides to sell his interest in the club. When he does we can only hope that it is sold to an indiviual or group who who are steadfast in wanting to see the White Sox remain in Chicago. There is at least one minority shareholder who has the abliity to come up with the cash who feels strongly about this and has already made his feelings known to JR.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:47 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
This discussion is mute until Reinsdorf decides to sell his interest in the club. When he does we can only hope that it is sold to an indiviual or group who who are steadfast in wanting to see the White Sox remain in Chicago. There is at least one minority shareholder who has the abliity to come up with the cash who feels strongly about this and has already made his feelings known to JR.
Moot.