White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2014, 03:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Why do you think the Braves move would be a disaster?
I'm sure the Braves have done studies of where their fan base is and from what I read that's why they are looking to Atlanta's northern burbs.
I think it was the braves team president who came out and said a few weeks ago if their vote to move was made public, it wouldn't have passed. It's a super shady deal that most in Atlanta hate. But money talks.

I never hear anyone say USCF is difficult to get to. It's one of the easiest sports venues in Chicago to get to. That said, I would love it to be picked up and dropped in the South Loop.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 06-18-2014, 03:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kba View Post
Don't forget what that South Loop stadium was supposed to look like. It was the mid-80's, after all.

And had that thing been built, guess what, both teams would've tried to get out of it about ten years ago, just like every other such stadium that was built in the 70s and 80s. There is a reason why those multi-purpose stadium/domes didn't last. They sucked.

The Sox didn't screw anything up with this. Mickey Boy McCaskey didn't want to share anything with the Sox anyway. The Sox had no problems selling tickets season tickets prior to the strike nor did they when they were in contention. There are two teams in town, and the other team has a competitive advantage over the Sox. It's just life. Just go to whatever games you can have fun.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:57 PM
WSI High Priest

I assume that was the Tropicana Field original design. Funny how the Sox almost ended up playing there anyway.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I'd like some feedback from some of you why you think the next stadium ( if there is one) should be in the south loop. All I'm hearing this summer is how horrible traffic is and how hard it is to get to USCF, how much easier will it be to get to a south loop location? We might get some of the tourist trade and some loop workers but how much more. When we were up there in 2012, traffic was horrible, we came up from Florida and hit Chicago at 1pm on a Saturday afternoon and since I wanted to go through the city we crawled all the way from I-80 all the way out to Arlington Hgts with traffic letting up a little after the airport. I doubt 294 would have been any better as that road is not a by-pass anymore as it was designed to be when it was built.
I for one wanted the Addison deal to go through, I think the Sox would have built up a much larger fan base and would have drawn way more fans than they have at 35th and Shields and would have gained quite a few more fans who would never venture into the city to see a ball game.
I use the Anaheim Angels as a perfect example along with the Texas Rangers, both drawing very nice in the burbs and don't forget the Braves who will be leaving Atlanta for a new stadium in the suburbs.
Traffic has always sucked during rush hour. It's never going to change. You just have to know to get around it or allow more time. It's just an excuse more than anything else. When I got off work at a decent time prior to kids, I went to a decent amount of week night games. When I no longer got off work early and had to take care of my son, I don't go to weeknight games anymore. the ball park is located by a eight lane highway and by three train lines. There are also other ways to get there, too. When the Sox sell more season tickets, attendance will be better. Until then, enjoy what you can and have fun.

But, to answer your question, the South Loop location really isn't a convenient factor at all. It is just cool to be there. I can assure you driving to Lincoln Park/Lakeview is an even bigger nightmare than to Bridgeport. But, the Cubs have a competitive advantage, so they sell more tickets.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
the ball park is located by a eight lane highway and by three train lines. There are also other ways to get there, too.
Such as... Reggies offers a free bus ride to and from the game. And free tickets on Sundays.

http://www.reggieslive.com/busrides/
Old 06-18-2014, 04:06 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Traffic has always sucked during rush hour. It's never going to change. You just have to know to get around it or allow more time. It's just an excuse more than anything else. When I got off work at a decent time prior to kids, I went to a decent amount of week night games. When I no longer got off work early and had to take care of my son, I don't go to weeknight games anymore. the ball park is located by a eight lane highway and by three train lines. There are also other ways to get there, too. When the Sox sell more season tickets, attendance will be better. Until then, enjoy what you can and have fun.

But, to answer your question, the South Loop location really isn't a convenient factor at all. It is just cool to be there.
I think it is, it's basically at the center of the metro area, yeah traffic sucks, but traffic will suck trying to go to Addison or Rosemont or any other location. Plus, the South Loop is much more easily accessible by public transit.

I think the Fire are a very good warning for teams really considering moving out of the city; they are all but forgotten in Chicago, which is a pretty good soccer market. And I know, the MLS is a minor league, I'm not saying the Sox would sink to that level, but there is a clear drop off, IMO, in how much attention they receive ever since leaving Soldier Field.

There's a reason Ricketts and the Cubs keep trying to spend $500 million of their own money to rehab Wrigley Field instead of taking a free payday from Rosemont, they clearly know the long term ramifications of moving to the burbs are not worth the short term gain.

I think it's very short-sighted to think that the problems with Sox Park are specifically the accessibility of location; people are more than willing to fight that same traffic to go to Wrigley, the UC, or Soldier Field, all of which are much less convenient (at least for drivers) than Sox Park.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 06-18-2014, 04:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I think it is, it's basically at the center of the metro area, yeah traffic sucks, but traffic will suck trying to go to Addison or Rosemont or any other location. Plus, the South Loop is much more easily accessible by public transit.
Compared to where the ball park is now, I don't see it being that much of a difference. But, I drive so much all over the metro area, it doesn't phase me that much.

Quote:
I think the Fire are a very good warning for teams really considering moving out of the city; they are all but forgotten in Chicago, which is a pretty good soccer market. And I know, the MLS is a minor league, I'm not saying the Sox would sink to that level, but there is a clear drop off, IMO, in how much attention they receive ever since leaving Soldier Field.
As someone who followed the team hard core during their hey day, the media attention the Fire got never was that great to begin with. They got about the same attention when they were playing in Naperville when SF was being rebuilt. I honestly didn't see much difference when they moved back to SF and then moved to Bridgeview. The Fire stopped being an elite team around the same time the Blackhawks became one. The stadium itself is only a mile or so from the city limits. It's not like it's in St. Charles (but I'm fully aware it's not close to the loop). The team simply hasn't been good in a while. The team was doing just fine when they were making the playoffs AND had marketable players like Blanco and Brian McBride. They also blew chances by not winning the title in 2000 and 2003. If they still played in the city, they would still be getting the same treatment they do today.

Quote:
There's a reason Ricketts and the Cubs keep trying to spend $500 million of their own money to rehab Wrigley Field instead of taking a free payday from Rosemont, they clearly know the long term ramifications of moving to the burbs are not worth the short term gain.
I personally think Rosemont will work in the short term as you mentioned. It's a decent location by the blue line. However, if the team doesn't win consistently, they can't sell Wrigley Field anymore.

Quote:
I think it's very short-sighted to think that the problems with Sox Park are specifically the location; people are more than willing to fight that same traffic to go to Wrigley, the UC, or Soldier Field, all of which are much less convenient (at least for drivers) than Sox Park.
Right, it's just an excuse, as already mentioned. Traffic by Wrigley is much worse than it is by Comiskey. There are two teams in this city. The Cubs are the more popular team with a competitive advantage over the Sox. It's not going to change. I remember some were worried when the Sox didn't win the division in 2012 as it would affect ticket sales for next year. At first, i didn't think much of it. It was simply because they weren't built to win in the future. However, I see the point now. Winning the division in 2012 may have increase season tickets for next season. However, it might have been moot after last season's disaster.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

I think it's very short-sighted to think that the problems with Sox Park are specifically the accessibility of location; people are more than willing to fight that same traffic to go to Wrigley, the UC, or Soldier Field, all of which are much less convenient (at least for drivers) than Sox Park.
Didn't someone post a few weeks ago that Wrigley is in the middle of a very affluent area where 500,000 people live within a 2 mile radius ( walking distance) with incomes between 100,000 and 500,000 dollars. Around USCF that number is about 50,000. That is probably the number one reason Wrigley is a cash cow.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-18-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:35 PM
WSI High Priest

People constantly talk about public transportation to the ball park, that does not appeal to families going to games. There is a family market out there that isnt being met by the two current ball parks. Only a suburban stadium would meet those needs.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
People constantly talk about public transportation to the ball park, that does not appeal to families going to games. There is a family market out there that isnt being met by the two current ball parks. Only a suburban stadium would meet those needs.
That's why I used Angel Stadium as an example of a team doing very well away from the city. I've been to about 5 games out there in the last 12 years and see many families and they all drive to get there. Even though Dodger Stadium is only a few miles from downtown LA just about everyone drives there also.
I know it's a different culture out there ( just got back from there on Monday) as people think nothing of a 50 mile drive to work but I still think the Sox would have been much better off in the burbs than at the present location.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:46 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Didn't someone post a few weeks ago that Wrigley is in the middle of a very affluent area where 500,000 people live within a 2 mile radius ( walking distance) with incomes between 100,000 and 500,000 dollars. Around USCF that number is about 50,000. That is probably the number one reason Wrigley is a cash cow.
Probably but a South Loop location would probably equal such a number, or at least come much closer than anywhere you would find in the suburbs.

Quote:
So that's why you appeal to all different kinds of fans. Putting the park in the burbs might be more easy on some families but why would anyone else ever go to a game again? Again, plenty of families make the trek to Wrigley, or the United Center, or Soldier Field. Obviously if they're avoiding the Cell it is for other reasons.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:48 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
That's why I used Angel Stadium as an example of a team doing very well away from the city. I've been to about 5 games out there in the last 12 years and see many families and they all drive to get there. Even though Dodger Stadium is only a few miles from downtown LA just about everyone drives there also.
That's because Los Angeles has basically has the public transportation system equal to that of a small town in the third world.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
The Sox actually do a very good job of this. Sundays are catered to families. I took my two year old to the Saturday night game before Mother's Day. We got to march in the parade before the game. And, we were able to have him walk on the concourse and in the Fundamentals Deck. But, Sat night games are the only games I can take him to. Day games are during his naps, and I'm sure not going to take him to a weeknight game. By the time the game starts, he be ready for bed.

The Cubs don't cater to families because they don't need to. That doesn't mean families don't go, but between their 20 something partying crowd and tourists, they don't need to tap into another demographic.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Not really working for the Chicago Fire- I'm convinced their attendance would be higher if they had built in the city- downtown Chicago is a great destination- and I think it adds value to anyone looking to go to a sporting event (whether with family or friends).
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 06-18-2014, 04:51 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
The Cubs don't cater to families because they don't need to. That doesn't mean families don't go, but between their 20 something partying crowd and tourists, they don't need to tap into another demographic.
I really don't know where you guys are getting this idea the Cubs don't market or cater to families with kids because it is obviously not true. OK, maybe the bleachers aren't packed with kids but go to any Cubs game and you'll see plenty of parents with kids ranging from toddler to teen.