White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2014, 07:28 PM
WSI Guru

Default Bruce Levine Comment Regarding White Sox Proposed 80s Stadium Site

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/06/...ce-mystifying/

The article is about attendance, but I don't wish to discuss that. Levine adds a comment near the end of the article:

Many believed that a downtown ballpark near the east railroad tracks off of Randolph Street, now condos and office buildings, was the right place to build a a park with a sure draw every night.

What site is he talking about? Is he talking about Millenium Park, between the old tracks and LSD? Or did he mistakenly reference the old site between Canal/Clinton and Lake/Kinzie, where Fulton Station is (which was going to have a Bears/Sox stadium)? I can't seem to match this up with anything.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-5; 0.375
Old 06-17-2014, 08:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/06/...ce-mystifying/

The article is about attendance, but I don't wish to discuss that. Levine adds a comment near the end of the article:

Many believed that a downtown ballpark near the east railroad tracks off of Randolph Street, now condos and office buildings, was the right place to build a a park with a sure draw every night.

What site is he talking about? Is he talking about Millenium Park, between the old tracks and LSD? Or did he mistakenly reference the old site between Canal/Clinton and Lake/Kinzie, where Fulton Station is (which was going to have a Bears/Sox stadium)? I can't seem to match this up with anything.
I wonder the same thing. Perhaps he meant this.

http://www.stadiumpage.com/t501.html
Old 06-17-2014, 09:27 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I wonder the same thing. Perhaps he meant this.

http://www.stadiumpage.com/t501.html
That's the one that I was referring to, but it's actually located with Lake Street being the south border. It's near the tracks that go to Union Station's north end. Randolph is one block south. Perhaps that was it. It's not really on Randolph, but close enough I suppose.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:44 AM
WSI Personality

South Side Sox has gone into detail a few times as to how the City of Chicago offered to build a new White Sox stadium in the South Loop at Roosevelt and Clark in the mid 1980's. JR wanted to build and own a stadium in Addison Illinois. Keep in mind that JR made his fortune in real estate. When that stadium deal in Addison didn't work out a couple of years later the citys offer was off the table. They wound up getting stuck at there present location with the State of Illinois picking up the deal. Not building the stadium in the South Loop has to be one of the biggest if not biggest mistake in the history of the franchise. Author/White Sox historian Richard Lindberg has written a number of articles on the subject and has pointed out that the the White Sox investors weren't at all happy about building the stadium at its present location. The stadium issue has to be the worse thing ever done under JR's ownership. It will be curious to see what happens when the lease on the stadium runs out. (I think the lease runs through 2029) Will the White Sox renew the lease or build another stadium? It's bad enough the stadium was built at its location but the stadium itself is two different parks. I've heard JR talk about the Cell and he said the lower deck of the Cell blows away Wrigley Field in every aspect. I agree with him on that point but he doesn't talk about the upper deck. The upper deck is too high. Even Ernie Harwell (former announcer of the Tigers and one of the nicest men you'll ever meet) said that the Upper Deck seats at the Cell were "as high as the moon". The upper deck was designed wrong and most people don't want to sit up there. All in all, JR's handling of the stadium issue has to be considered a flop. Anybody who thinks the White Sox won't get a new stadium should consider the fact that DePaul is going to get a new basketball arena built for them near McCormick Place. I'm hoping that the the city builds a two stadium complex for the White Sox and the Bears. Soldier Field has the smallest seating capacity in the NFL and a two stadium complex should solve all these problems.

Last edited by Golden Sox; 06-18-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
South Side Sox has gone into detail a few times as to how the City of Chicago offered to build a new White Sox stadium in the South Loop at Roosevelt and Clark in the mid 1980's. JR wanted to build and own a stadium in Addison Illinois. Keep in mind that JR made his fortune in real estate. When that stadium deal in Addison didn't work out a couple of years later the citys offer was off the table. They wound up getting stuck at there present location with the State of Illinois picking up the deal. Not building the stadium in the South Loop has to be one of the biggest if not biggest mistake in the history of the franchise. Author/White Sox historian Richard Lindberg has written a number of articles on the subject and has pointed out that the the White Sox investors weren't at all happy about building the stadium at its present location. The stadium issue has to be the worse thing ever done under JR's ownership. It will be curious to see what happens when the lease on the stadium runs out. (I think the lease runs through 2029) Will the White Sox renew the lease or build another stadium?
I always thought the stadium deal was very team beneficial. Not the best from a fans perspective (South Loop would have been incredible), but financially a huge win for the organization.

I don't see how the state of Illinois would WANT to renew the lease. Better start land grabbing now.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 06-18-2014, 10:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

The closer to the city location wasn't picked because the Sox couldn't get the county and state to give a break on the real estate taxes and by break I mean not paying any real estate taxes. US Cellular Field is not on the tax rolls and therefore does not generate any real estate taxes.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:18 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Not building the stadium in the South Loop has to be one of the biggest if not biggest mistake in the history of the franchise.
Don't forget what that South Loop stadium was supposed to look like. It was the mid-80's, after all.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:01 PM
WSI High Priest

As the drawing tells us, it was a football/baseball stadium and the Bears were not interested in partnering with the Sox, IIRC. Let's not make this into a Sox Goofed Again thing.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
As the drawing tells us, it was a football/baseball stadium and the Bears were not interested in partnering with the Sox, IIRC. Let's not make this into a Sox Goofed Again thing.
What about the Blitz?
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 06-18-2014, 01:53 PM
WSI High Priest

I'd like some feedback from some of you why you think the next stadium ( if there is one) should be in the south loop. All I'm hearing this summer is how horrible traffic is and how hard it is to get to USCF, how much easier will it be to get to a south loop location? We might get some of the tourist trade and some loop workers but how much more. When we were up there in 2012, traffic was horrible, we came up from Florida and hit Chicago at 1pm on a Saturday afternoon and since I wanted to go through the city we crawled all the way from I-80 all the way out to Arlington Hgts with traffic letting up a little after the airport. I doubt 294 would have been any better as that road is not a by-pass anymore as it was designed to be when it was built.
I for one wanted the Addison deal to go through, I think the Sox would have built up a much larger fan base and would have drawn way more fans than they have at 35th and Shields and would have gained quite a few more fans who would never venture into the city to see a ball game.
I use the Anaheim Angels as a perfect example along with the Texas Rangers, both drawing very nice in the burbs and don't forget the Braves who will be leaving Atlanta for a new stadium in the suburbs.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:30 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I'd like some feedback from some of you why you think the next stadium ( if there is one) should be in the south loop. All I'm hearing this summer is how horrible traffic is and how hard it is to get to USCF, how much easier will it be to get to a south loop location? We might get some of the tourist trade and some loop workers but how much more. When we were up there in 2012, traffic was horrible, we came up from Florida and hit Chicago at 1pm on a Saturday afternoon and since I wanted to go through the city we crawled all the way from I-80 all the way out to Arlington Hgts with traffic letting up a little after the airport. I doubt 294 would have been any better as that road is not a by-pass anymore as it was designed to be when it was built.
I for one wanted the Addison deal to go through, I think the Sox would have built up a much larger fan base and would have drawn way more fans than they have at 35th and Shields and would have gained quite a few more fans who would never venture into the city to see a ball game.
I use the Anaheim Angels as a perfect example along with the Texas Rangers, both drawing very nice in the burbs and don't forget the Braves who will be leaving Atlanta for a new stadium in the suburbs.
I think that move for the Braves is going to be a disaster, if it ever even happens.

I don't think an Addison ballpark would've necessarily worked out, either. I probably would have never become a Sox fan if I had to drive to every game--I simply would not have attended (m)any games growing up and probably would have been a Cubs fan.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:33 PM
WSI Regular

Living in Naperville, I can promise you if the Sox were somewhere like Addison, I would have at least a half-season package if not a full season package.

I was born in Bridgeport and grew up on the SW side, and I hate driving into the area by the ballpark now. 55 is always screwed these days it seems, and Archer isn't much better.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I think that move for the Braves is going to be a disaster, if it ever even happens.

I don't think an Addison ballpark would've necessarily worked out, either. I probably would have never become a Sox fan if I had to drive to every game--I simply would not have attended (m)any games growing up and probably would have been a Cubs fan.
Why do you think the Braves move would be a disaster?
I'm sure the Braves have done studies of where their fan base is and from what I read that's why they are looking to Atlanta's northern burbs.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-18-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:44 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Why do you think the Braves move would be a disaster?
I think the site they selected sounds like a traffic nightmare, plus the deal involved sounds super shady. The city is beginning to fill in with development, more and more young people with money are moving back to the city, so this seems the wrong time to move out to the suburbs. Not to mention that Atlanta's development is wheel and spoke, extending out in every direction surrounding the highways in and out of the city. Turner Field was at least centrally located downtown, the Marietta location will be more difficult to get to, especially from suburbs south and east of the city.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Living in Naperville, I can promise you if the Sox were somewhere like Addison, I would have at least a half-season package if not a full season package.

I was born in Bridgeport and grew up on the SW side, and I hate driving into the area by the ballpark now. 55 is always screwed these days it seems, and Archer isn't much better.
We lived in Wheaton at the time of the new stadium issues and if the Sox had moved out to Addison and though I worked evenings we would have doubled the amount of games we attended.