White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2014, 10:47 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24thStFan View Post
We played a game called "fast pitching". Only needed a pitcher, batter, bat, a hard rubber ball, and a strike zone painted on a wall.

The pitcher threw as hard as he could and strikes and balls were determined by where the ball hit the wall. Kind of a early version of today's "K Zone".
We called that "Line Ball". Pitcher and batter only. Strike zone on the wall, fenced in school playground. Ground balls not fielded were singles. On the fly past a playground line was a double, off the fence a triple, over the fence a HR. Outs were recorded by strikeouts, fielded grounders, and flyouts. Hours and hours and hours of fun.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:52 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
We called that "Line Ball". Pitcher and batter only. Strike zone on the wall, fenced in school playground. Ground balls not fielded were singles. On the fly past a playground line was a double, off the fence a triple, over the fence a HR. Outs were recorded by strikeouts, fielded grounders, and flyouts. Hours and hours and hours of fun.
Yea, that's the same game. Interesting that it had different names. I guess kids from different neighborhoods had their own name but the basic rules were the same.

My theory is that this game evolved in neighborhoods without access to diamonds, parks, and big, open spaces. Was this true in your case?
Old 06-12-2014, 11:09 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24thStFan View Post
Yea, that's the same game. Interesting that it had different names. I guess kids from different neighborhoods had their own name but the basic rules were the same.

My theory is that this game evolved in neighborhoods without access to diamonds, parks, and big, open spaces. Was this true in your case?
My case was more of a "how many people have we got?" situation. 3 or less, we'd play line ball. Four or more you'd probably grab a diamond and actually run bases and stuff.