White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 10:43 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
First I would like to say I agree with you. When I was young the parks used to freeze the ball fields in winter. The kids played hockey (weather permitting) but with a hockey stick and skates (any kind of skates, racing, figure or hockey) no other equipment. No ones skates fit, they were either too big or small. But at least we could play the game.

You mentioned playing hockey on the cheap now, how is that done around here now?
I should have said relatively cheap. My son played two years in the mini-mites and will be starting year 1 of the mites this year. I have only bought a couple things (mouth guards) brand new for him. Everything else, including 2 sticks, 2 helmets, 3 sets of skates, all padding, pants, shorts, etc I have either obtained for free from a family down the road with a son 4 years older than mine who plays, from garage sales, or from Play-It-Again sports. I have probably only spent around $100 for equipment for 2 years of league + 1 year of lessons.

League entry fees are another story. Mini-mites was pretty manageable. Mites is a lot more. But you can split it as a deposit and later payment, so it is not as bad as it could be.

But a lot of kids wouldn't even be able to afford to do what we do. We are not starving, but we are definitely not Rockefellers either. This is the point I was trying to make. You don't play hockey unless you are rich or know how to cut enough corners. If you can't afford to even cut the corners you are out of luck.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:04 PM
WSI High Priest

I am probably tilting at windmills but I wish we could spark a throw-back tradition of kids just playing baseball all day long in pickup games in the city parks.
Baseball is a truly fun game to play, if you have the numbers.
With the obesity epidemic we are facing, we need to get kids to the parks to play pickup bb or baseball all summer long.

Both bb and baseball are so much fun to play, it does not seem like ''working out'' which can be drudgery.

Wishful thinking , I know....but some old things are still good things.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:23 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
I am probably tilting at windmills but I wish we could spark a throw-back tradition of kids just playing baseball all day long in pickup games in the city parks.
With the obesity epidemic we are facing, we need to get kids to the parks to play pickup bb or baseball all summer long.

Both bb and baseball are so much fun to play, it does not seem like ''working out'' which can be drudgery.

I think pick up baseball is long gone. Finding enough kids and an empty lot( many baseball fields do not allow kids on unofficially) is not as easy as it seemed to be in the 50's and 60's. Meanwhile, pick-up hoops is still very available and needs much fewer players. same w football to a degree.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I think pick up baseball is long gone. Finding enough kids and an empty lot( many baseball fields do not allow kids on unofficially) is not as easy as it seemed to be in the 50's and 60's.

I go by city parks and see empty diamonds all the time actually I only see them used only with organized games. Are you saying city parks dont allow the diamonds to be used unless it is being used by organized leagues?
Old 06-11-2014, 02:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I think pick up baseball is long gone. Finding enough kids and an empty lot( many baseball fields do not allow kids on unofficially) is not as easy as it seemed to be in the 50's and 60's. Meanwhile, pick-up hoops is still very available and needs much fewer players. same w football to a degree.
We lived for pick up games in the summer, us kids in the neighborhood built our own sandlot ball field behind the old Ridge Inn at 6630 north Ridge in Rogers Park. The 16 inch Clincher and a couple of bats and we were in heaven, I for one had way more fun in those games compared to when I played Little League at Thillens Stadium and I'm pretty sure the other guys felt the same way.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:36 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

I hear you. In the summer, I spent countless hours playing informal baseball games. But I think the issue has less to do with available fields and more to do with the fact that kids don't have the freedom they used to have.

I was probably 8-9 years old and I'd ride my bikes 4-5 blocks to a field and meet my friends for a game. That just doesn't happen anymore. 8-year olds have organized "play dates" or are in all-day camps during the summer. They aren't roaming the neighborhood streets in unsupervised packs as they once were.

I'm not sure what has changed but the mindset of parents is different today. My dad basically gave me one rule - be home for dinner. It wasn't that he was overly permissive, that's just how it was in the 70s/80s.

And I'm a big hypocrite because while I wish things were like they used to be, I'm not letting my 8-year old son ride his bike beyond my line of site, much less letting him run off by himself for hours on end.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:48 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:

Heck you don't even need 18 players. We would have a group of 4 of us go to the park. You'd have 1 pitcher, 1 batter, 2 fielders. Any ground ball is an out, any flyball that makes it to the wall is a double, and you have ghost runners. It was pretty much a glorified HR derby, but we had loads of fun.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
I hear you. In the summer, I spent countless hours playing informal baseball games. But I think the issue has less to do with available fields and more to do with the fact that kids don't have the freedom they used to have.

I was probably 8-9 years old and I'd ride my bikes 4-5 blocks to a field and meet my friends for a game. That just doesn't happen anymore. 8-year olds have organized "play dates" or are in all-day camps during the summer. They aren't roaming the neighborhood streets in unsupervised packs as they once were.

I'm not sure what has changed but the mindset of parents is different today. My dad basically gave me one rule - be home for dinner. It wasn't that he was overly permissive, that's just how it was in the 70s/80s.

And I'm a big hypocrite because while I wish things were like they used to be, I'm not letting my 8-year old son ride his bike beyond my line of site, much less letting him run off by himself for hours on end.
Exactly, times have changed. The vast majority of parents are concerned about their child's safety with all the wackos in the world. Kids aren't allowed to roam free from dawn to dusk only to appear for lunch and dinner as I was in the late 40's and 50's.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:13 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
You totally lost me. What are you counting as tourists??? You say 60% of Cub attendees are tourists That is 21,000. Are you saying 21,000( instead of your 15,000 Cub attendees are tourists i.e. out of state visitors???) If so you are way off. Last I saw Cubs have about 25,000 season ticket seats sold. If so, I would guess they must get 28,000+ Chicagoans.
There's no chance that even half of those 25,000 season tickets are used by the people who buy them.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
While I think part of the issue is that baseball is simply not as popular among the youth as it used the be, the bigger reason is the one mentioned above. I see kids now that live three blocks from school still getting picked up and dropped off their parents.

Anticipated next game: Unknown
Old 06-11-2014, 09:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
Heck you don't even need 18 players. We would have a group of 4 of us go to the park. You'd have 1 pitcher, 1 batter, 2 fielders. Any ground ball is an out, any flyball that makes it to the wall is a double, and you have ghost runners. It was pretty much a glorified HR derby, but we had loads of fun.
You could have played Pitcher's Hand Out (foot on the rubber or not) on the ground balls. And anything right of second base out. We did. Thinking about it, I can see why basketball is easier to get up a game.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:30 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
You could have played Pitcher's Hand Out (foot on the rubber or not) on the ground balls. And anything right of second base out. We did. Thinking about it, I can see why basketball is easier to get up a game.
We used to play 1-on-1 Wiffle Ball in the lot next to my boyhood home. The field was set up such that my house (think long brick bungalow) was the Fenway left field wall. Anything hit to right field was an out, unless it made it to the street on a fly, which constituted a homer. To left, over the house was a homer. Anything hit off the wall could be caught as an out. Anything hit off the roof that rolled back down was also in play and could be caught as an out. If it hit the ground off the roof, ground rule double. Batter had to run everything out. Fielder could throw ball and beat runner to base, sending runner back to previous base. And of course it was pitchers hand out. It was a cool set up....house was elevated a few feet on a knee wall and the "field" had a little Crosley Field hill sloping up to the house, so it really felt like a Fenway setup for a kid with Wiffle ball power.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 06-12-2014, 09:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Rooting for a hockey team doesn't mean you stop caring about baseball. Heck the Bulls were the toast of the town for over a decade and kids still rooted for the Sox and Flubbies just fine. Sox drew like gangbusters in 1991-94 when the Bulls were right smack dab in the middle of their first run and the flubbies owned the latter part of the decade with ShamME* and some playoff runs.

Maybe kids were watching more hockey the first few months of the baseball season this year, but hockey doesn't come back until the baseball playoffs are in session. Kids will still watch and go to baseball games when they can. It's simply silly for anyone to claim otherwise, IMO.

And of course there will be football long before there is Hockey and Bears fans are looking at making a run these next few years. So come October all those young Hawks' fans will be decked out in orange and blue and won't be paying attention to the black and red until sometime in January (or hopefully February).
Agreed. The NHL season barely overlaps with baseball. I doubt kids are deciding to not follow either baseball team all summer because they were all excited about the Hawks during the winter.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:42 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
Heck you don't even need 18 players. We would have a group of 4 of us go to the park. You'd have 1 pitcher, 1 batter, ......
We played a game called "fast pitching". Only needed a pitcher, batter, bat, a hard rubber ball, and a strike zone painted on a wall.

The pitcher threw as hard as he could and strikes and balls were determined by where the ball hit the wall. Kind of a early version of today's "K Zone".
Old 06-12-2014, 10:45 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
That was the whole point. A winning franchise has generated interest amongst the city, including children.
My comments were in reference to the idea that the Blackhawks capturing the generation over other teams in other sports in the city. I don't see the interest lasting beyond the championships. The Blackhawks are big if they win. The Bears don't need to win to be the big team in the city, although 1985 doesn't seem that long ago to me. The Bulls are bigger than the Blackhawks even though they haven't won a championship since Michael Jordan. Baseball is big and in some ways defines the city because, and I read this in a sociology book once, Chicago is divided between Cubs families and White Sox families. This is true even though Miami has twice as many baseball championships than Chicago if you go back a couple of generations.

The Blackhawks are not capturing a generation of fans over the Sox or Cubs. There are avid Blackhawks fans, who live for the team and for hockey. There always have been. But there isn't the sort of interest in hockey in Chicago as there are for other sports. The Blackhawks aren't the Bears. They aren't the Bulls. They aren't the Cubs. They aren't even the White Sox.