White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2014, 06:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Any young kids in Chicago right now are Blackhawks fans, not Cubs or Sox.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Any young kids in Chicago right now are Blackhawks fans, not Cubs or Sox.
This is actually a pretty good point, though a little bit of an overgeneralization.

But, yes, I bet hockey has taken a lot of young fans who would have otherwise gravitated toward baseball.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-09-2014, 07:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Just speaking for Kenosha, I see a lot more Sox gear than I used to.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:25 PM
WSI Personality

Reports from Evanston support this theory. I coach my 8-year old's little league team and it's probably split 50/50 between Cubs and Sox fans. My guess is that it would be closer to 90/10 when I was his age.

Actually, I've been surprised at the number of Sox fans I've run across in my neck of the woods. Maybe Sox fans gravitate towards Evanston because it's a bit of an iconoclastic suburb. Sox fans on the North Shore have always seemed to embrace the fact that they're bucking the trend.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:34 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Reports from Evanston support this theory. I coach my 8-year old's little league team and it's probably split 50/50 between Cubs and Sox fans. My guess is that it would be closer to 90/10 when I was his age.

Actually, I've been surprised at the number of Sox fans I've run across in my neck of the woods. Maybe Sox fans gravitate towards Evanston because it's a bit of an iconoclastic suburb. Sox fans on the North Shore have always seemed to embrace the fact that they're bucking the trend.
Quite a few friends of mine were Sox fans growing up in Evanston, but I also might be thinking of the kids who were big baseball fans and with whom I would talk about baseball or sports, and not just casual fans.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:53 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1972 View Post
I think even the Cubs have noticed this as well with the development of Clark the Cub. I also think the fact that Wrigley has become such a tourist destination has also helped the White Sox. Here's why...

Lets say past 20 years..

Cubs have averaged 35,000 a game of which 60% were tourists (20,000 Chicagoans per game)

Sox have averaged 25,000 a game of which only 5% were tourists (24,000 Chicagoans per game)

You totally lost me. What are you counting as tourists??? You say 60% of Cub attendees are tourists That is 21,000. Are you saying 21,000( instead of your 15,000 Cub attendees are tourists i.e. out of state visitors???) If so you are way off. Last I saw Cubs have about 25,000 season ticket seats sold. If so, I would guess they must get 28,000+ Chicagoans.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
You totally lost me. What are you counting as tourists??? You say 60% of Cub attendees are tourists That is 21,000. Are you saying 21,000( instead of your 15,000 Cub attendees are tourists i.e. out of state visitors???) If so you are way off. Last I saw Cubs have about 25,000 season ticket seats sold. If so, I would guess they must get 28,000+ Chicagoans.
The notion that any baseball game has 60% seems a little overexaggerated.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:35 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
The thought of paying 69 bucks to sit anywhere for a ball game.
Agreed. Baseball can kiss my /^$ at $69 a game. A lot less than that as well, in fact.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:24 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I think the Cubs get a lot of the casual Chicago fans versus tourists as well as Sox fans who happen to live on the Northside. I have a couple of buddies that are Sox fans that live in Lakeview, Lincoln Square, etc. that go to Cubs games just out of convenience.

Anticipated next game: Opening Day
Old 06-11-2014, 12:53 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
This is actually a pretty good point, though a little bit of an overgeneralization.

But, yes, I bet hockey has taken a lot of young fans who would have otherwise gravitated toward baseball.
I can't imagine hockey is generating avid fans among young kids in Chicago because kids don't play that much hockey relative to baseball. When I was a kid in Munster, we had a 60-by-30-foot hockey rink in my backyard, but it still wasn't nearly as important a sport as baseball. The city and kids might get excited about championships, but without the championship runs, you probably don't have much interest. In Northern California, once the Sharks were eliminated, I didn't hear anything about hockey, even listening to the Giants flagship all-sports station in my car. I only learned the Blackhawks were out of the Stanley Cup a couple of days ago from a WSI reference. The Cubs haven't won the World Series, probably since Dawson City played in the Stanley Cup final (I'm probably close, anyway), and I'm sure there are more die-hard, young and old, Cubs fans than Blackhawk in Chicago. Hockey will be something kids will grow out of if the Blackhawks don't continue to win.

As for baseball, kids growing up in Cubs families will return to the Cubs if neither team wins anything. Winning gets you casual fans.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:10 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I can't imagine hockey is generating avid fans among young kids in Chicago because kids don't play that much hockey relative to baseball. When I was a kid in Munster, we had a 60-by-30-foot hockey rink in my backyard, but it still wasn't nearly as important a sport as baseball. The city and kids might get excited about championships, but without the championship runs, you probably don't have much interest. In Northern California, once the Sharks were eliminated, I didn't hear anything about hockey, even listening to the Giants flagship all-sports station in my car. I only learned the Blackhawks were out of the Stanley Cup a couple of days ago from a WSI reference. The Cubs haven't won the World Series, probably since Dawson City played in the Stanley Cup final (I'm probably close, anyway), and I'm sure there are more die-hard, young and old, Cubs fans than Blackhawk in Chicago. Hockey will be something kids will grow out of if the Blackhawks don't continue to win.

As for baseball, kids growing up in Cubs families will return to the Cubs if neither team wins anything. Winning gets you casual fans.
Rooting for a hockey team doesn't mean you stop caring about baseball. Heck the Bulls were the toast of the town for over a decade and kids still rooted for the Sox and Flubbies just fine. Sox drew like gangbusters in 1991-94 when the Bulls were right smack dab in the middle of their first run and the flubbies owned the latter part of the decade with ShamME* and some playoff runs.

Maybe kids were watching more hockey the first few months of the baseball season this year, but hockey doesn't come back until the baseball playoffs are in session. Kids will still watch and go to baseball games when they can. It's simply silly for anyone to claim otherwise, IMO.

And of course there will be football long before there is Hockey and Bears fans are looking at making a run these next few years. So come October all those young Hawks' fans will be decked out in orange and blue and won't be paying attention to the black and red until sometime in January (or hopefully February).

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-11-2014, 10:19 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
The city and kids might get excited about championships, but without the championship runs, you probably don't have much interest.
That was the whole point. A winning franchise has generated interest amongst the city, including children.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:33 AM
WSI Regular

First and foremost, Chicago is a Bears town when it comes to fans. All other professional sports teams can get in line behind the Monsters of the Midway.

Although the Blackhawks have had a long and steady following for many years in Chicago, hockey is still primarily a cult sport. It just doesn't have the widespread popularity, appeal and following that the other three main sports (baseball, football, basketball) generate. Winning a few Stanley Cups over the last few years has raised the bar for the Hawks in particular and hockey in general.

But the mass appeal of hockey in Chicago, and in the US, still lags behind the other big three. How many people are watching the Stanley Cup finals outside of the LA and NY metro areas? My guess is that the numbers are miniscule.

I agree that the White Sox have made progress as far as attracting a young fan base. Going back 15-20 years, it was rare to see anyone wearing any kind of Sox gear up here on the Northwest side. Yes, there were Sox fans up here, but they were in a distinct minority when competing with Sammy Sosa and those oh-so-lovable Cubbies of the era.

That has changed. I have gradually noticed a steady increase in Sox popularity and fandom. There are probably a number of reasons for this. The Johnny Jockstrap and Suzy Sorrority crowd has actually spawned a backlash interest in the Sox from local baseball fans who can't stand the whole Wrigley experience (get hammered, be-and-be-seen, busy texting and talking constantly on the cellphone crowd).

We all know the so-called kind of baseball fans that frequent Cub games and walk endlessly around the park. Problem is, very few know what the score is, what inning it is, or even who the Cubs may be playing that particular day. "Hey, let's get another round of brewskis and pay through the nose!"

Now let's say the Cubs turn it around over the next few years and actually become real contenders again. There may be a number of pseudo Sox fans who will jump ship and start rooting for the Cubs again.

In my opinion, this kind of person never really was and never will be a true Sox fan.

But I have experienced a slight but steady shift over the years to the Sox, especially among the young. And I believe a number of these young fans will remain true to the black and silver in the years ahead.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:44 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
That was the whole point. A winning franchise has generated interest amongst the city, including children.
But I don't think it will be sustained once the Blackhawks fade. I think Tdog makes a pretty good point that you get invested in the sports that you are able to play. The only kids playing hockey are from either well-off families who can afford it (at least around here that's the case) or kids with parents who played hockey and know how to do it on the cheap. In both cases, those kids were likely going to play hockey and be interested in it regardless of the current Blackhawk run. Hockey is the hardest sport to get into because you have to A) afford the equipment, B) have a place to play it, and C) enough kids that know how to skate to have a game. All other sports you just need a ball, a bat and glove for baseball, a field or court, and a few kids who want to play.

There was no outlet to play hockey where I grew up. There was no place to buy hockey stuff. Nobody played hockey and as a result nobody cared about hockey. We were only a hundred miles west of Chicago, and with the exception of a couple die-hard Chicago sports fans, nobody even noticed when the Blackhawks were playing the Penguins for the cup.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:01 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
But I don't think it will be sustained once the Blackhawks fade. I think Tdog makes a pretty good point that you get invested in the sports that you are able to play. The only kids playing hockey are from either well-off families who can afford it (at least around here that's the case) or kids with parents who played hockey and know how to do it on the cheap. In both cases, those kids were likely going to play hockey and be interested in it regardless of the current Blackhawk run. Hockey is the hardest sport to get into because you have to A) afford the equipment, B) have a place to play it, and C) enough kids that know how to skate to have a game. All other sports you just need a ball, a bat and glove for baseball, a field or court, and a few kids who want to play.

There was no outlet to play hockey where I grew up. There was no place to buy hockey stuff. Nobody played hockey and as a result nobody cared about hockey. We were only a hundred miles west of Chicago, and with the exception of a couple die-hard Chicago sports fans, nobody even noticed when the Blackhawks were playing the Penguins for the cup.
First I would like to say I agree with you. When I was young the parks used to freeze the ball fields in winter. The kids played hockey (weather permitting) but with a hockey stick and skates (any kind of skates, racing, figure or hockey) no other equipment. No ones skates fit, they were either too big or small. But at least we could play the game.

You mentioned playing hockey on the cheap now, how is that done around here now?