White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2014, 07:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default I think Sox have captured first generation of Chicago fans in decades

Southpaw, Family Sundays, 2005 World Series (anyone under 12 who watched that became a Sox fan for life). A theory I have on whats happened the past two decades....

We lost several generations of fans due to bad decisions in the 60s, 70s and 80s PR wise. Most Gen Xers are overwhelmingly Cubs fans...but I"m noticing new grads, late teens/early 20 something are overwhelmingly Sox fans and not Cubs fans.

Of course nationally this is not the case..but locally I feel we've captured the newest generation and I feel (at least in Chicago and Cook County)...we are beginning to achieve true paritiy with the Cubs.

Anyone else notice this trend?
Old 06-07-2014, 07:38 PM
WSI Personality

I totally agree. Although when the Cubs become good, I think a lot of fans will crossover.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think even the Cubs have noticed this as well with the development of Clark the Cub. I also think the fact that Wrigley has become such a tourist destination has also helped the White Sox. Here's why...

Lets say past 20 years..

Cubs have averaged 35,000 a game of which 60% were tourists (20,000 Chicagoans per game)

Sox have averaged 25,000 a game of which only 5% were tourists (24,000 Chicagoans per game)

Of the 20,000 for the Cubs...10% under 20 (remember..Wrigley is known for Drinking)....2,000 under 20 per game

Of the 24,000 for the Sox...20% under 20 (More families at the Cell, kids days, etc).....5,000 under 20 per game.

I just feel that an increasingly high percentage of kids in the Chicago Metro area are growing up going to Sox games and not Cubs. This is why I'm noticing that out of towners who move to Chicago are generally Cubs fans..but those born and raised in Chicago are increasingly more likely to be Sox fans and not Cubs fans. I feel this phenomena is on the increase...

This may be a big boon to the Sox in the future and the reason why the Cubs are America's baseball team and not the Sox..but the Sox are becoming more Chicago's baseball team and not the Cubs.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I totally agree. Although when the Cubs become good, I think a lot of fans will crossover.
The Cubbies have won a few and a row. They are good again. Pay no mind to the fact they are in last place, 10 games under .500.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 06-07-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:55 PM
WSI Prelate

I don't get into the neighborhoods enough to see if this is true, but I don't notice it in the places I do happen to go to.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-08-2014, 08:12 PM
WSI Personality

Default The Bad Guys

The owners of the bad guys on the Northside have claimed over and over that 40% of there attendance comes from out of state. I've always thought that number was rather high but they know there fan base better than I do. I haven't been to there park in years.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
The owners of the bad guys on the Northside have claimed over and over that 40% of there attendance comes from out of state. I've always thought that number was rather high but they know there fan base better than I do. I haven't been to there park in years.
Their. Sorry, you did it three times.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
If they define "from out of state" as tourists AND transplants, then 40% actually seems low to me. Keep in mind, a big chunk of Wrigley attendees on any given day are the Lincoln Park party set, and many of those folks are 20-somethings who just moved here from all over the Midwest after college. You can also figure that any tourist who comes to Chicago during a Cubs homestand is likely to squeeze Wrigley into their itinerary.

It seems unlikely to me that 60% of any given Cubs home game is native/long-term Chicagoans.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
It seems unlikely to me that 60% of any given Cubs home game is native/long-term Chicagoans.
Agreed. The entirety of my neighborhood is (uneducated estimate) maybe 5% or less of native/long-term Chicagoans.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:46 PM
WSI High Priest

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the Sox have captured the latest generation of Chicago fans, but I think they've made a decent turnaround from how things were pre-2005.

I agree that the Sox lost probably two generation of baseball fans from the late 60s into the 1990s for reasons we've discussed umpteen times. In recent years, though, not only did the Sox win it all in 2005, but the Cubs have been plagued by a series of embarrassing fiascoes over that time: Bartman game, Sosa's fall from grace, playoff chokes in 07 and 08, 100-loss seasons, bad press about Wrigley's condition. Also, being on WGN TV is no longer fueling the Cubs' popularity like it did in the bad old days of the 1980s.

The Cubs still own this town, i'm well aware of that. But the Sox have won over a decent number of young fans. But, to continue that trend, the Sox need to become a team that regularly makes the playoffs. That's what is so maddening about the direction the team has taken after winning it all. Our last playoff appearance was 6 years ago. I'm encouraged that Rick Hahn and Co. have the team headed in the right direction again, but how long will that playoff drought be before the Sox make the postseason again? 8 years? 9? That's no way to overtake the Cubs in Chicago.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42
Their. Sorry, you did it three times.
Your the Betelgeuse of Grammer Nazi's.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post

This is high quality posting ladies and gentlemen.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Old 06-09-2014, 04:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

The generation of out of state Cubs fans that grew up watching WGN after school that came to Chicago post college starting in the early 1990's have moved out or back to their home state. Kids that are 26 now couldn't get every Cubs game on WGN, by 1998 the Cubs were playing a lot of their games on regional cable.

Also, in 1998 Bleacher tickets were $12 and $6, now they are $69 to $19.

The thought of actually paying $69 to sit in the bleachers is crazy.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
The generation of out of state Cubs fans that grew up watching WGN after school that came to Chicago post college starting in the early 1990's have moved out or back to their home state. Kids that are 26 now couldn't get every Cubs game on WGN, by 1998 the Cubs were playing a lot of their games on regional cable.

Also, in 1998 Bleacher tickets were $12 and $6, now they are $69 to $19.

The thought of actually paying $69 to sit in the bleachers is crazy.
The thought of paying 69 bucks to sit anywhere for a ball game is crazy.

For 69 dollars a day I can go on a cruise and get 3 great meals a day plus tons of snacks if I want them, great entertainment, excellent service and transportation to some great places.