White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2014, 11:12 AM
WSI High Priest

Default *Official* 6/6 D-Day Postgamer ,Angels take out

the Sox with their #1 pitching nemesis beating them again.

Watching Weaver throw that 67-85mph stuff by the Sox was another testament to how some guys just got another teams number, plus that guys who know how to pitch, can get by with less stuff than the sabermetrics guys will acknowledge.

Sox did manage 11 hits overall, but could not come up with the clutch hit, while the Angels did.

Dunn's 1st two at bats were bad, but then he came back with 3 hits including a long bomb in the 9th....too bad, cuz he had the sacks packed the first couple of times up.

Rienzo is leaking oil at this point. His last few outings have been bad.
I was counting on him as the #4 or #5 starter the rest of the year, but looks like he might be on the Erik Johnson track lately.

Saw that the Sox have had the best starting rotation ERA in the league the last 3 weeks, and the bullpen has been good over the same stretch.
Surprising. Last nite was the first really bad outing from a starter in the last 3 times thru the rotation.

The bats did slumber a bit during that stretch, so they lost low scoring games.

Sale tonite and Quintana tomorrow need to right the ship before they come home to take on the Tigers for 4.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Big Stretch coming up right here.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

My thought was I'd be okay with 2 wins in LA over these 6 games. I'd like to get the split now and we have an excellent shot at it tonight obviously with Sale going.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-07-2014, 12:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Rienzlo not looking good- but no help at AAA- E. Johnson rocked again last night, ERA > 6.00 and Tommy Hanson with an ERA > 5.00-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 06-07-2014, 01:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Why do these starters, except for Sale, give up so many 2-out runs?

Shame about Dunn. I know I'm channeling horsemasterfred here, but who cares if he hit a 2-run homer with 2 outs in the 9th and the Sox down by, what was it - 6 runs? When he had a chance to impact the game, he struck out with the bases loaded and didn't even take the bat off his shoulder.

Carroll's been a pleasant surprise so far as the long man. Since moving to the pen, he's given up 3 ER in 13 IP.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Rienzlo not looking good- but no help at AAA- E. Johnson rocked again last night, ERA > 6.00 and Tommy Hanson with an ERA > 5.00-
All good points. Charlie Leesman has pitched OK at Charlotte. Don't know if the Sox are looking at him as a potential 5th starter.

Here is an interesting candidate: Mike Recchia at Birmingham. He is a local guy and is now 25. But he has pitched well in the minors this year. At Winston-Salem, he was 4-3 with a 2.90 ERA, 2.2 BB and 10.5 K's per 9 innings.

Recchia went to Birmingham and has pitched well there. He is 2-1 with a 1.96 ERA, 2.3 BB and 6.3 K's per 9 innings.

Recchia was formerly in the Yankees organization. The Sox have had some good luck developing former Yankee pitchers, such as Jose Quintana and Hector Noesi. If Recchia keeps pitching well at Birmingham, I wonder if he is in the Sox plans for this year?
Old 06-07-2014, 02:32 PM
WSI Guru

I'm not willing to give up on Rienzo yet. He's got really good stuff and has flashes of brilliance sprinkled in. Last night Pujols pulled some two-strike bs where he had swung and missed but convinced the home plate umpire that it was a foul tip. With a man in scoring position, this might have rattled some pitchers. Rienzo came right back and wiped him out with a breaking ball at his toes on the very next pitch.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:14 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Expected loss, not a big deal.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:22 PM
WSI Prelate

yet another example of Ventura refusing to change pitchers until the pitcher pitched us out of the game.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I'm not willing to give up on Rienzo yet. He's got really good stuff and has flashes of brilliance sprinkled in. Last night Pujols pulled some two-strike bs where he had swung and missed but convinced the home plate umpire that it was a foul tip. With a man in scoring position, this might have rattled some pitchers. Rienzo came right back and wiped him out with a breaking ball at his toes on the very next pitch.

I agree that it is too early to give up on Andres, but he has to command a bit better. Great wipeout curveball, and decent fastball, but the cutter seems weak.

Anyone see Trout standing next to Beckham on second base? He looks much bigger than Gordo...as fast as he is, he is also big.

And yes, that Pujols stuff was a joke....as Johnny Red Kerr always said when a bad foul was called and the guy missed the free throws...''early ripe, early rotten''....good to see Pujols go down.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:16 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
yet another example of Ventura refusing to change pitchers until the pitcher pitched us out of the game.
After which 4th inning batter did you want Ventura to tell Carroll to start warming up?

• Pujols - G5-3
  • Hamilton - 1B
  • Freese - 1B
  • Aybar - G3
  • Cron - 2B
  • Conger - 1B
  • Green - 1B
  • Calhoun - 2B
Aybar? Hamilton?

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W
August 30 (2) L
September 14 L
September 27 W

Next Game: ??
Old 06-07-2014, 09:17 PM
WSI Personality

Adam Dunn should just stop hitting home runs unless it gives us the lead. Anything else is just going to be used against him.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:17 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I don't know, Rienzo wasn't getting lit up out there, a couple of bloop singles and then a few hard hit balls down the line that could have easily been foul or an inning-ending ground out if they were 6 inches in either direction.