White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2014, 09:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Default 6/4 back over .500 Postgamer thread.

I'd like to see that Sox over .500 two days in row when the second day isn't and off day
Old 06-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Well since I expect them to bounce around the .500 mark all year, I'm seeing exactly what I expected. If the bats get a bit hotter and the pitching finds a groove they could make a run at a WC slot. I'm trying to temper my optimism though and remind myself this is a rebuilding year and .500 is a good outcome for this team based on where they were last year.

Nice to see the late inning bullpen settle in to a rotation. Last two saves have been downright boring with 5/6 putouts recorded by 4-3 grounders. Danks definitely seems to be finding his stuff or at least an ability to use the stuff he has to get outs. Nice to see him pitch over the defensive lapses last night, that's been a problem for him in the past.

Really cannot argue with 2/3 against a NL playoff team and one some have picked to win it all. Hopefully after the day off they can keep it going against the AAAAAAAAngels. It would definitely be nice to see the Sox put a few games between them and .500 to see if they can go higher, but... I'm staying grounded... .500 is just fine...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-05-2014, 09:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Excellent pitching overcome what was otherwise some strange play.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Banned

I'm not giong to lie, but I'd be content with a 0.500 season. I hope the front office doesn't get delusions of contending this year and have that interfere with moves that can otherwise help the rebuilding.

Example, with this being the last year on his deal, Dunn might have ACTUAL trade value to a team desperate for a bat to replace an injured player. I'd hope the Sox part with someone like him for prospects rather than hold on to him in a hope to maybe compete for the last wildcard spot.

In the past, Kenny Williams would have taken a team that probably was better destined for a rebuild and would have instead traded prospects for a veteran in hoping to push them into the playoffs. Either that or he would pick up a veteran off waivers (Rios *cough*). The team would fail to contend and the move would hold down the Sox the next few years. I trust Hahn will not make such an error.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:19 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
I'm not giong to lie, but I'd be content with a 0.500 season. I hope the front office doesn't get delusions of contending this year and have that interfere with moves that can otherwise help the rebuilding.

Example, with this being the last year on his deal, Dunn might have ACTUAL trade value to a team desperate for a bat to replace an injured player. I'd hope the Sox part with someone like him for prospects rather than hold on to him in a hope to maybe compete for the last wildcard spot.

In the past, Kenny Williams would have taken a team that probably was better destined for a rebuild and would have instead traded prospects for a veteran in hoping to push them into the playoffs. Either that or he would pick up a veteran off waivers (Rios *cough*). The team would fail to contend and the move would hold down the Sox the next few years. I trust Hahn will not make such an error.
If we could get a live arm for Dunn at this point I'd be happy. He doesn't factor into our future at all, so flipping him for whatever should be a priority.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:33 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
If we could get a live arm for Dunn at this point I'd be happy. He doesn't factor into our future at all, so flipping him for whatever should be a priority.
Nice concept- I don't see any team giving up a real pitching prospect for a few months of a platoon DH hitting .223- (hitting .159 over the past 28 days)
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 06-05-2014, 10:36 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

I agree - don't trade prospects for veterans this time.
The Sox really look like they have some thinning out to do in their middle infield. But that can be Dunn in November and December, and they can try to get some OF and pitching prospects in return. Just be wary of those "ML ready" pitching prospects.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

I have a weird feeling that the Sox might re-sign Dunn. I know, it sounds crazy, but it's just a feeling.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
I have a weird feeling that the Sox might re-sign Dunn. I know, it sounds crazy, but it's just a feeling.

NO WAY- will never happen in a million years-

Viciedo is headed to the DH role next year-
Old 06-05-2014, 10:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Nice concept- I don't see any team giving up a real pitching prospect for a few months of a platoon DH hitting .223- (hitting .159 over the past 28 days)
Exactly. Just as we should temper our enthusiasm about this team's chances to contend, we should temper our enthusiasm about what other teams are willing to give us in a trade for guys like Dunn.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 06-05-2014, 11:08 AM
WSI High Priest

As far as being a contender goes- the pitching is really starting to stabilize- ERAs over the past 30 days-

Starters:
  1. Sale- 0.50
  2. Quintana- 2.59
  3. Noesi-= 3.47
  4. Danks- 3.69
  5. Rienzo- 4.10
Bullpen:
  1. Petricka- 0.69
  2. Putnam- 1.46
  3. Webb- 1.50
  4. Belisario- 4.05 (2.23 excluding the Yankees game)
Any more injuries and we're screwed- but I think we have a shot at making things interesting in June/July before the trade deadline-
Old 06-05-2014, 11:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Well since I expect them to bounce around the .500 mark all year, I'm seeing exactly what I expected. If the bats get a bit hotter and the pitching finds a groove they could make a run at a WC slot. I'm trying to temper my optimism though and remind myself this is a rebuilding year and .500 is a good outcome for this team based on where they were last year.
The pitching has been much better of late and Rienzo seems to be the only starter that has struggled lately. In typical Sox fashion though, it is the offense that has cooled off now. If only we could get them both going at the same time! I have my suspicions that the Sox will tease us a lot this year and stay close to .500 without being able to pull away. However, there are two wild cards open and a lot of parity in the AL among the wild card contenders. It could very well be that 84 or 85 wins grabs that second wild card this year. If the pitching continues this course, things could get interesting for this team.

This is a retooling year, but in any case, it is a whole lot of fun to be watching meaningful baseball again! Only 3 games back in the AL Central and right in the AL Wild Card hunt. At this point last year, the Sox were 25W-32L, six games back and were in the middle of a free falling June where they went 8W-19L. By the time July 1st rolled around, we were already playing out the string. I don't see that happening to this year's team.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 06-05-2014, 11:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
NO WAY- will never happen in a million years-

Viciedo is headed to the DH role next year-
Gillaspie can get some work there too (and at 1B), which will also open the door for more of our infielders.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
As far as being a contender goes- the pitching is really starting to stabilize- ERAs over the past 30 days-

Starters:
  1. Sale- 0.50
  2. Quintana- 2.59
  3. Noesi-= 3.47
  4. Danks- 3.69
  5. Rienzo- 4.10
Bullpen:
  1. Petricka- 0.69
  2. Putnam- 1.46
  3. Webb- 1.50
  4. Belisario- 4.05 (2.23 excluding the Yankees game)
Any more injuries and we're screwed- but I think we have a shot at making things interesting in June/July before the trade deadline-

The pitching has been good lately. Danks has given up 3 earned runs over his last three starts(23 innings)...that is great chucking.

Call me crazy, but I think 85-87 wins gets a team into the AL playoffs.
Sox need to get hot now, and come into next weeks series vs the Tigers rolling. Fans might come out to see the Sox in an early battle for 1st place vs the Tigers next week. Would be great for morale, if nothing else, to see a hot Sox team take a series vs the cold Tigers, and lay claim to 1st place.

Long way to October as we all remember from 2012, so I understand the relunctance to commit to winning now, but, despite the flameout in 2012, it was a fun summer of Sox baseball. That will do for now.

I agree that Dunn should be on the block in July for the right deal, but the yield of these trades is very hard to predict.
Now, if you can fetch an Avasail Garcia for Dunn....great, go for it.
Otherwise, do not disrupt the good chemistry on this team for a bag of balls. Dunn is a popular player in the clubhouse.

Leury Garcia over the centerfield wall for a homer? Vs no-hit Beckett? Baseball magic, my friends.

Right now this team is just eking out enough offense to sweep the Dodgers...but those Dodger pitchers are pretty good, so lets see if the offense perks up vs the Angels...not likely, but would be nice for the bats to really heat up before the Tigers come to town.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:29 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I think if you would have told any of us in February the 2014 Sox were headed for a .500 record and sitting on the edge of playoff contention in what has so far been a pretty tight American League, we all would have been over the moon after last year's debacle.

Clearly, this is not the end goal for this team, but the process of turning a franchise around after hitting rock bottom is usually played out over the course of at least 2 or 3 seasons.

I sincerely doubt Hahn or anyone else in the front office thinks of this team as anything other than a possible fluke playoff team in its current form. So I doubt there will be any moves made that do not ultimately aim to build for a contending team in 2015 and beyond...