White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2014, 08:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Anyone have a game-used baseball from the 2005 World Series?

I just acquired one from Game 2 with a MLB Authentication hologram sticker on it. Using the hologram number as a starting point in the MLB database, it looks like only 15 balls from Game 2 were certified as authentic with a MLB hologram. Thirteen of those are certified as Game 2 balls with no other information noted. My ball lists in the additional information area: "Ozzie Guillen - Game 2." What that means is anybody's guess, perhaps that it came from Ozzie Guillen as some point either during or after the game? The other one with additional information listed is the whopper -- Konerko's grand slam. Interestingly, Podsednik's homer was not found in MLB's database, at least not in the numbered run involving my ball.

I'd like to do a little more research on this. If you have a ball from any game of the 2005 World Series, could you please list the hologram number either in this thread or to me in a message here? I'd also be interested in knowing if you happened to snare a ball at one of the games that wouldn't have a hologram, like a foul ball or a ball tossed into the stands by a player. And does anyone know what happened to the Podsednik homer ball, and who has the Konerko ball for that matter? The database does not include ownership. I also wonder what happened to Dye's Game 1 home run and Blum's Game 3 homer.

I'll post the results if I get enough information to report something.

Last edited by BainesHOF; 06-10-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:27 PM
WSI Guru

Just a thought. MLB/White Sox staff may have had a chance to track down Konerko's slam since it happened earlier in the game. Podsednik's walkoff ended the game. Imagine trying to track that down in the postgame bedlam. Probably next to impossible.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Just a thought. MLB/White Sox staff may have had a chance to track down Konerko's slam since it happened earlier in the game. Podsednik's walkoff ended the game. Imagine trying to track that down in the postgame bedlam. Probably next to impossible.
Makes sense to me.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

I have a game used ticket from the 2005 World Series...I wish I had a game used ball!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Podsednik's walkoff ended the game. Imagine trying to track that down in the postgame bedlam. Probably next to impossible.

Doesn't he have a brick in the plaza that says "I caught Pods' ball" or something? If that's the truth then I'd imagine the team already knows who that was.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
I have a game used ticket from the 2005 World Series...I wish I had a game used ball!

I have four unused tickets for Game 6. Probably the closest I'll ever get to attending a World Series game.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
I have a game used ticket from the 2005 World Series...
Me too...Game 1. Many emotional moments and the ballpark was electric. One of my most cherished memories.

But having a game used ball is very cool.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:11 PM
WSI High Priest

I have to ask because I think its awesome - how did you come across/purchase it. I am a big memorabilia collector but have never seen one up for auction.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24thStFan View Post
Me too...Game 1. Many emotional moments and the ballpark was electric. One of my most cherished memories.

But having a game used ball is very cool.
Game 2 for me...easily the fourth most cherished memories of my life, and the other three are the obligatory marriage/child births.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

I have a game 4 WS ticket and a game 1 division series ticket. I was at Game 1 of the division and my friend who is a Astros fan who went to game 4 gave me the Game 4 ticket.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I have to ask because I think its awesome - how did you come across/purchase it. I am a big memorabilia collector but have never seen one up for auction.
Like everything else these days, Craigslist.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:37 PM
WSI Regular

One of my favorite possession is a game used ball from game 2 of the World Series. Our seats were in Sec 123 (behind 1st base dugout) and Lance Berkman of the Astros made the final putout of the 4th inning and tossed the ball into the stands and my then 11 year old son caught it on the fly. In an odd twist, my son gave the ball to me for display in my White Sox room.

There is obviously no hologram but I know its 1000% real. Greatest sporting event I ever attended.