White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2014, 06:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
How many generations of Mets fans did superstaion WWOR create before the Mets games moved to WPIX in 1999?
Was that a national station? I never got in La. And it sure wasn't in the same stratosphere of market penetration as WTBS. But I sure got WGN and WTBS and there are a lot of fans of both down here, via WGN and WTBS
Old 06-04-2014, 07:03 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Was that a national station? I never got in La. And it sure wasn't in the same stratosphere of market penetration as WTBS. But I sure got WGN and WTBS and there are a lot of fans of both down here, via WGN and WTBS
WWOR was available here in Chicago in the 1980s & early 90s. It didn't show a lot of baseball games (IIRC), but their lineup included the "Joe Franklin Show" and Howard Stern's first attempt at TV.
I know this has been gone over many times before, but the key to the Cub success on TV (local & national) was the 1:20pm start times. The Braves were on WTBS as much but their night games faced more competition for eyeballs.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:03 PM
WSI Guru

WOR was absolutely a national station on most cable systems.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 06-04-2014, 07:06 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon44 View Post
WWOR was available here in Chicago in the 1980s & early 90s. It didn't show a lot of baseball games (IIRC), but their lineup included the "Joe Franklin Show" and Howard Stern's first attempt at TV.
Exactly correct. I remember watching Stern in '89 or '90 on WOR. Great stuff.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
My understanding is that WOR was offered on more cable systems than WGN, at least before WB and Syndex. (Syndex is where cable outlets started dropping superstations, and WB gave WGN a better deal than WOR, although it decreased the WGN baseball.) I always got Mets games out West when they were on WOR. In the last 31 years, I only got WGN in Wisconsin.

And I believe if the Sox had stayed on WGN, they wouldn't have had more games televised nationally than the Mets did on WOR.

Last edited by TDog; 06-04-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:47 PM
WSI Regular

WGN and WTBS were carried on our cable lineup in Sterling/Rock Falls, IL. I have never heard of WOR before, until this thread.

Quote:
Old 06-05-2014, 07:45 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnw8052 View Post
WGN and WTBS were carried on our cable lineup in Sterling/Rock Falls, IL. I have never heard of WOR before, until this thread.
Same here for Mt. Morris.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:23 AM
WSI High Priest

WOR (Which became WWOR after it was sold) was part of cable packages prior to 1990. I even remember when they ran Islanders games. I don't recall why it was dropped, but I suspect the fact that it was difficult to distinguish it from any other channel showing reruns and old movies.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
WOR (Which became WWOR after it was sold) was part of cable packages prior to 1990. I even remember when they ran Islanders games. I don't recall why it was dropped, but I suspect the fact that it was difficult to distinguish it from any other channel showing reruns and old movies.
Syndex was an FCC regulation, I think to protect over-the-air/local television, that allowed local broadcasters to black out cable programming in a market if they owned the rights to that programming. For example, if you had a local station in El Centro, California, and you had the rights to show Sledge Hammer reruns, you could have them blocked from any cable channel showing it at any time, whether you were running the progam or planned to actually run the program. Local stations had an interest in blacking out as much cable television as they could. That led to cable systems dropping some superstations and some superstations changing their programming. Through other rules, in some markets, stations were also allowed to black out superstation baseball. When I was living in Waukesha, Wisconsin, I found a number of Cubs and White Sox games were blacked out when the local station was running Brewers games. Because I was close enough to see the Sox games on weekends and could get them on radio, I didn't feel that cheated. I lived about 17 years in communities that hadn't made WGN available, even on any tier, when they started doing tiers, so occasional blackouts weren't that frustrating, especially with so few White Sox games available on WGN.

When WGN and WOR signed on with the WB network, WGN got a deal to show WB program nationally. WOR did not, and that led to more cable systems dropping WOR, probably leading to its death as a superstation. At the same time, it was the beginning of the erosion of WGN sports being shown nationally as WGN didn't pre-empt WB programming with sports. While all of this was going on, TBS stopped focusing on the Atlanta Braves and got into national sports.

I get the feeling that WGN America will lose more stations if it doesn't become more America and less Chicago. WGN America is running ads for Salem on my local cable system even though my local cable system doesn't carry WGN America. The station would be better off if it were listening to sales pitches from producers of original programming. AMC wasn't the first station to hear the Breaking Bad pitch. FX, at least, turned down Breaking Bad, which may be why FX was all over Fargo. Original programming isn't all good. Damages and Men of a Certain Age didn't get the basic cable following expected, but they weren't disasters. Before Mad Men, the best TV was being done on premium channels who wanted the product to get viewers. Now it's more about getting the must-see series on cable networks that need to be in demand to stay on cable systems.

It's really amazing that Chicago baseball has run as long on WGN America as it has, especially with so many other premium alternatives. Dropping it doesn't seem to be a bad business decision. Hanging on to it for so long, however, does.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:42 PM
WSI Regular

Well this sucks. Figures.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 PM
WSI Guru

The irony in all of this is that the Sox are losing WGN America but may indeed gain WGN radio.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:13 AM
WSI Personality

The real irony about all of this is that as someone living in the Chicago market, I'm actually jealous of the out-of-towners when it comes to Sox programming. Why? Because at this point, the only reason I still have cable is to watch the Sox on CSN. I would happily pony up for MLB.TV instead, except that the Sox are blacked out online in the local market.

Essentially, I'm paying $100 per month for CSN, instead of paying $30 per month for MLB.TV and $10 for Netflix.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:38 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
The real irony about all of this is that as someone living in the Chicago market, I'm actually jealous of the out-of-towners when it comes to Sox programming. Why? Because at this point, the only reason I still have cable is to watch the Sox on CSN. I would happily pony up for MLB.TV instead, except that the Sox are blacked out online in the local market.

Essentially, I'm paying $100 per month for CSN, instead of paying $30 per month for MLB.TV and $10 for Netflix.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 06-06-2014, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post

Add Amazon's video service and you are set.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I also remember seeing Hazel on WWOR. First time I had seen that in years.