White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 10:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

The PC Police has turned into anonymous cyber bullies going from one over reaction to the next.

The best is when someone famous or semi-famous says that a famous woman or actress should lose weight. Facebook, Twitter and every message board practically melts down.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:47 AM
WSI High Priest

I'm not sure if this is really an example of PC- and I'm not sure if it required an apology- but when 1.5M men and women have been killed or wounded in wars from WWII thru Iraq/Afganistan- that means for millions of Americans- Memorial Day is a pretty solemn occasion-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 05-27-2014, 11:01 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
The PC Police has turned into anonymous cyber bullies going from one over reaction to the next.

The best is when someone famous or semi-famous says that a famous woman or actress should lose weight. Facebook, Twitter and every message board practically melts down.
This is kind of hypocritical, is it not? You're essentially saying when other people voice an opinion on a certain topic that you disagree with, that qualifies as "cyber-bullying" but when you dictate to people how they are allowed to react to things as being "the PC Police," that's just fine and dandy.

FWIW, I'm not personally offended by what the Sox tweeted, I have pretty thick skin and I try not to let stuff get to me like that, BUT I can also understand how some people might interpret that as, if not offesive, at least in poor taste.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:26 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I'm not sure if this is really an example of PC- and I'm not sure if it required an apology- but when 1.5M men and women have been killed or wounded in wars from WWII thru Iraq/Afganistan- that means for millions of Americans- Memorial Day is a pretty solemn occasion-
Which many appear to be solemnly enjoying with a hot dog and a sporting event.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-27-2014, 12:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Which many appear to be solemnly enjoying with a hot dog and a sporting event.
Sounds like a great way to celebrate America to me - worshiping in the church of baseball.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Yes we all should pause and reflect on those who have given their lives....like a funeral, its a somber time then after you have the luncheon and everyone loosens up a bit.

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 05-27-2014, 12:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
This is kind of hypocritical, is it not? You're essentially saying when other people voice an opinion on a certain topic that you disagree with, that qualifies as "cyber-bullying" but when you dictate to people how they are allowed to react to things as being "the PC Police," that's just fine and dandy.

FWIW, I'm not personally offended by what the Sox tweeted, I have pretty thick skin and I try not to let stuff get to me like that, BUT I can also understand how some people might interpret that as, if not offesive, at least in poor taste.

Most certainly. The line the White Sox crossed is a subtle one, but it's the difference between promoting the White Sox and baseball as a holiday activity and suggesting the meaning of the holiday has changed or should change.

I'm certainly not offended that some people respect that line even if a good many don't. If I were working in public relations, I would hope I could distinguish that line.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:21 PM
WSI Irregular

Nothing good has ever happened as a result of social media. All this connectedness will tear society apart. We're all doomed.

But hey,

Old 05-27-2014, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
Sounds like a great way to celebrate America to me - worshiping in the church of baseball.
July 4th is for celebrating America. Memorial Day is for remembering those who perished.

The fact that people don't get this is mind boggling. You don't see Commonwealth countries celebrating with drunken parties on November 11th (Remembrance Day for them).
Old 05-27-2014, 12:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
You don't see Commonwealth countries celebrating with drunken parties on November 11th (Remembrance Day for them).
I'm pretty sure they would if Remembrance Day fell on a 3-day weekend that was the unofficial start of summer.

We observe Veterans Day on November 11th and it's a somber occasion with no drunken parties.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:51 PM
WSI Prelate

There is a very political reason why we celebrate these holidays in the manner we do that I'm going to leave out of the thread for obvious reasons, but I will say this-people have very little free time these days to do the things they enjoy like grilling with friends and family and going to baseball games. I don't begrudge anybody for spending a federal holiday doing things that make them happy instead of sitting at home and being sad about something they can't change.

Last edited by Boondock Saint; 05-27-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immigrant View Post
I'm pretty sure they would if Remembrance Day fell on a 3-day weekend that was the unofficial start of summer.

We observe Veterans Day on November 11th and it's a somber occasion with no drunken parties.
Veterans Day is observed correctly, but that's also a day to celebrate the Veterans who are still with us. Memorial Day is about those who lost their lives and it is simply shameful how most of the idiots who go out and get drunk on the day mark that day.

Congratulations to America for turning Memorial Day into the number 1 day for DUI's. Those who gave their lives would be proud.

In all honesty, Memorial Day should be moved midweek with the express purpose of ending this ****. Let July 4th be the drunken party. That day is one where celebration is merited.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
July 4th is for celebrating America. Memorial Day is for remembering those who perished.

The fact that people don't get this is mind boggling. You don't see Commonwealth countries celebrating with drunken parties on November 11th (Remembrance Day for them).
Many perished so that we could have a July 4th to celebrate.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Once upon a time Memorial (Decoration) Day was about remembering those who died in the Civil War, which took the dead of both sides of the conflict into account. The same was true for Veterans (Armistice) Day - it was about remembering all who died in the Great War. Both of those remembrances have been radically altered in the U.S. - Veterans Day even more so.

Now Memorial Day is about remembering all dead American soldiers. Isn't remembering America's war dead while not pausing to give a **** about who might have died on the other side of the wars America has been in tantamount to celebrating America? It's civil religion in the U.S.; the various holidays attached to it all have the same ultimate meaning - celebrating this country.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

As a member of the American Apple Pie Bakers Association (AAPBA) and National Parade Planners Commission (NPPC) I am offended and disappointed that apple pies and parades were not included in the White Sox' narrow minded vision of Memorial Day and demand an apology.