White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 06-12-2014, 05:50 AM
Moses_Scurry Moses_Scurry is offline
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 3,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I wonder if it wouldn't be the worst move to re-sign Dunn for next year. Unless the Sox can find a LH hitting outfielder or another 1B/DH type to complement Abreu, they won't have any LH power in the lineup. He's reasonably effective if he only faces RHP.
On a one year deal with a significant pay cut, I'd be OK with it if they can't find anything better. Anymore than 1 year / $4-5M is too much. Let him make up for his crap years.
__________________
What is Mind? -- Doesn't Matter!
What is Matter? -- Never Mind!
-Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-12-2014, 06:09 AM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 5,576
Default

There is NO WAY a rebuilding White Sox team is going to re-sign Dunn.

He's at least delivering some value this year- but an aging Adam Dunn is not part of the 2015-2016 White Sox-
__________________
TomBradley72
http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/334c0314
2014 Record: 2-3
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
There is NO WAY a rebuilding White Sox team is going to re-sign Dunn.

He's at least delivering some value this year- but an aging Adam Dunn is not part of the 2015-2016 White Sox-
We get it, you hate Adam Dunn. But the point is still true, we have no left handed power when he walks, and if we could bring him back at 5 or 6 million on a 1 year deal, or 1 year an option, there is value there.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06-12-2014, 03:56 PM
Golden Sox Golden Sox is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oswego, Illinois
Posts: 784
Default 2015

I would be surprised to see Dunn back in 2015. They might have Viciedo in left field and Garcia in right field. Gillaspie and Matt Davidson could rotate between 3rd base and DH.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-12-2014, 04:27 PM
kobo kobo is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mount prospect
Posts: 4,439
Default

Allow me to play devil's advocate here. Is a LH power bat a necessity in today's game? If Dunn doesn't return and the Sox can't find a quality LH power bat in the off season but can find a RH one, is that going to be an issue?
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 06-12-2014, 05:29 PM
RCWHITESOX's Avatar
RCWHITESOX RCWHITESOX is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Placentia, California
Posts: 1,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Allow me to play devil's advocate here. Is a LH power bat a necessity in today's game? If Dunn doesn't return and the Sox can't find a quality LH power bat in the off season but can find a RH one, is that going to be an issue?
Of course it will. If the Sox are a predominatley right handed team opposing teams will stack right handed pitchers up against them. How ever I believe they can look elsewhwere for left handed power. Hopefully DeAza will also be gone long before then.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 06-12-2014, 05:37 PM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 5,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
We get it, you hate Adam Dunn. But the point is still true, we have no left handed power when he walks, and if we could bring him back at 5 or 6 million on a 1 year deal, or 1 year an option, there is value there.
No- I don't hate Adam Dunn- he's been decent this year- I just don't see how a 35 y.o. platoon DH fits into a rebuilding team's plans-I don't picture them acquiring ANY 35 yo players for 2015.

I don't think he would sign for $5M- I think he'll retire before he settles for that- the other variable is Matt Davidson (if he's the every day 3B- then Gillaspie becomes a DH option, and you don't need Dunn, if Davidson continues to suck at AAA- that could change).

Dunn has an OPS of .899 over the past 30 days- if some how he actually sustains that for the season- then maybe he would fit-

Last edited by TomBradley72; 06-12-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 06-12-2014, 07:30 PM
soxfanreggie soxfanreggie is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Normal, IL/Sarasota, FL
Posts: 10,094
Default

We had this discussion last night at the bar after softball. We all (five guys) agreed that we would give him a 1-yr. $7 million deal. A couple were willing to pay more (one was $8 mil, one up to $10 mil), but everyone was amenable to $7 mil. We figured that other factors involved were: 1.) What happens with Viciedo. If he comes out of the OF and into the mix at 1B/DH, then you probably can't make a deal with Dunn. If you do Viciedo-Eaton-Garcia with Danks or someone as the 4th OF, then there is room for Dunn. It also allows you one more here to decide what to do with Viciedo. You also can split Dunn and Abreu at 1B or keep Dunn as just a DH.

If you want to make the deal as a player option with certain criteria or a team option with a $500k or $1 million buyout, that would work too. Anything beyond that and I wouldn't really be interested.

The other topic was trading Danks while he's hot if we expect Rodon in the rotation next year. With him having a lot of $$$ still left on his deal, could those resources be put to better use?
__________________

Last edited by soxfanreggie; 06-12-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 06-13-2014, 11:24 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,933
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Yea, if it makes sense, maybe we'll sign him back next year, after we trade him this year.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 06-15-2014, 01:01 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 5,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie
The other topic was trading Danks while he's hot if we expect Rodon in the rotation next year. With him having a lot of $$$ still left on his deal, could those resources be put to better use?
Nobody is taking on John Danks's contract until the 2015-16 offseason at the earliest. Hopefully he can keep this up this year and next year, because $14 million is right around market value for 200 innings nowadays.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and letís fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 06-15-2014, 02:23 PM
soxfanreggie soxfanreggie is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Normal, IL/Sarasota, FL
Posts: 10,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Nobody is taking on John Danks's contract until the 2015-16 offseason at the earliest. Hopefully he can keep this up this year and next year, because $14 million is right around market value for 200 innings nowadays.
I could easily see a team taking on Danks in a trade. You never know when someone needs a lefty starter. The Sox could also pitch in $$$ if needed to make the move. If he throws like he has been lately, we could really use him and there will be other teams interested as well.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 06-16-2014, 06:48 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 5,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie
I could easily see a team taking on Danks in a trade. You never know when someone needs a lefty starter. The Sox could also pitch in $$$ if needed to make the move. If he throws like he has been lately, we could really use him and there will be other teams interested as well.
I guess Danks might be movable this year, as long as you're OK with getting a less-than-overwhelming return. If you were a GM of a good team that was in need of a left-handed starter, what would you give up to acquire John Danks at this year's trade deadline, assuming that no money is coming with him?

My intention here is not to blast John Danks or suggest that he's worthless. In my opinion, John Danks has been the second-most pleasant surprise this season, behind only Jose Abreu. He's been really solid, especially at home, and I have enjoyed watching him go 6 or 7 innings deep into games with consistency. However, he has only been doing this for 2.5 months so far after a putrid 2013. If I was trading for him, I would definitely be wary of how big a gamble he is at this point.

If he finishes this season as brilliantly as he has started it, he might be worthwhile to acquire before next season, but at that point, I would rather just keep him around.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 06-16-2014, 10:00 PM
soxfanreggie soxfanreggie is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Normal, IL/Sarasota, FL
Posts: 10,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I guess Danks might be movable this year, as long as you're OK with getting a less-than-overwhelming return. If you were a GM of a good team that was in need of a left-handed starter, what would you give up to acquire John Danks at this year's trade deadline, assuming that no money is coming with him?

My intention here is not to blast John Danks or suggest that he's worthless. In my opinion, John Danks has been the second-most pleasant surprise this season, behind only Jose Abreu. He's been really solid, especially at home, and I have enjoyed watching him go 6 or 7 innings deep into games with consistency. However, he has only been doing this for 2.5 months so far after a putrid 2013. If I was trading for him, I would definitely be wary of how big a gamble he is at this point.

If he finishes this season as brilliantly as he has started it, he might be worthwhile to acquire before next season, but at that point, I would rather just keep him around.
I agree that we wouldn't be getting a good return on Danks if we'd be dumping his contract. The Sox payroll will likely be going down again next year or staying the same (at most) depending on who we sign in free agency.

We do have some players getting raises, but we'll see savings from Dunn (huge $$$), De Aza if replaced with someone like Jordan Danks, Downs who will almost certainly be bought out of his option, and PK because we'll probably have Garcia back in the OF in his roster spot. Even if we sign a few free agents, there is a chance we hit $80-82 million in payroll. If we go really young next year and call up some young talent, it could even go beneath $80 million.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08-05-2014, 11:37 AM
soxfan1965 soxfan1965 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 336
Default

It's been quiet on the waiver front for Dunn. Is this waiver process going ahead with Dunn? It will be hugely disappointing if the Sox can't move Dunn, as they were able to move Navarro and Belle.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-05-2014, 11:46 AM
SOX ADDICT '73 SOX ADDICT '73 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Orland Hills, IL
Posts: 2,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
...Gillaspie and Matt Davidson could rotate between 3rd base and DH.
I just had a PTSD flashback to the 2010 DH platoon of Mark Kotsay, Andruw Jones, Juan Pierre, and Omar Vizquel.
__________________
My man Vincent says:

"Gogh Gogh White Sox!"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.