White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2014, 01:42 PM
New At WSI

Harry Potter: Glad to hear you dig it! Definitely keep an eye out. There will be more events on tap.

Jerko: This is excellent feedback. Thank you for sharing this. It has been passed along. Also, they switched the style of event, and the latest has been handled with wait staff. I was at the event myself, and it worked out much better. My apologies for your experience the first time. Keep an eye out for the next event, and I hope you attend, as it has changed. In addition, please flag me down to say hello!
Old 05-21-2014, 07:40 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerko View Post
Not as bad as the one grinder bash I went to where a guy brought a hefty bag with him and tried to take 2 trays of ribs home. Ticket rep actually chased him so he wouldn't get away with it.
That's unbelievable. Actually, it's not, which is sad. Good Grief.

"I luv the Bertucci's."

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 05-22-2014, 10:45 PM
WSI Personality

Missed it. With traffic and getting off of work I wouldn't of been there until close to 7 so I couldn't make it. Looking forward to other events in the future. Also Night Train is an awesome person to talk to if you need anything. He's the one who personally walked us to our now 27 game season ticket seats in the middle of winter. Glad you joined the board!
Old 05-23-2014, 09:52 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
That's unbelievable. Actually, it's not, which is sad. Good Grief.

"I luv the Bertucci's."

Not even a regular trash bag, one of the black industrial size ones. I kid you not.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightTrain Veeck View Post
Harry Potter: Glad to hear you dig it! Definitely keep an eye out. There will be more events on tap.

Jerko: This is excellent feedback. Thank you for sharing this. It has been passed along. Also, they switched the style of event, and the latest has been handled with wait staff. I was at the event myself, and it worked out much better. My apologies for your experience the first time. Keep an eye out for the next event, and I hope you attend, as it has changed. In addition, please flag me down to say hello!

thanks for the post NightTrain........ I don't like complaining about any event where someone else is footing the bill as I think it's great that the team/venue does these things. I'm glad changes were made and hopefully the people there benefited from those changes.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Deadmoney: Did you give them a ring back? Your feedback would be greatly appreciated! Or, if you would like to leave it here, it can be passed along.
Well, I share Season Tickets 50/50 with Harry Potter, so my feedback would be one of a STH, really.

I used my free survey tickets for Tuesday, April 29 and also bought a couple tickets for the Arizona series. I do have a big complaint about that Detroit game though.

Early in the game there was a short rain delay, and people were looking to move 'under cover'. The attendance that night was 17,023, so the park was anything but packed. As patrons from the OF sections began to slide over to the corners and try to sit under the Club Level Overhang, I witnessed an usher (Brenda down around 153/154) refusing to let people sit in the last 5-10 rows of those sections. She was certainly consistent, kicking everyone out of those seats if they didn't have a ticket for that exact seat even though everyone was just looking for refuge from the rain.

Now, I understand that the ushers have jobs to do and on certain nights this restriction would be required, but I also believe that a certain level of common sense should prevail in situations like these. One of my biggest complaints with what occurs at the park is what seems to be incompetence by some of the park ushers/staff. These people are the first that you see when you walk in and the last that you see when you walk out. Although I've had great experiences with some and there are those who can be conversational and welcoming, it's experiences like these that turn me off to the USCF employees around the park.

I went up to Brenda and voiced by displeasure (as a STH) with how she was treating patrons of the park, and all she could say was "Sir, I'm just doing my job. If people have seats here...". I end the comment there, because I cut her off at that point. The ushers at the park - especially in a situation where the park isn't even 1/3 full - should be using common sense with those seats. Afterall, you're right there at the top of the section. If you see a dispute over a seat, go help everyone out. If someone comes to you with a ticket saying someone is in your seat, go help everyone out. But on a night like that, where it's cold/rainy/crappy, I couldn't believe that she was so steadfast in refusing everyone the ability to stay out of the rain while still watching the game.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:48 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
Well, I share Season Tickets 50/50 with Harry Potter, so my feedback would be one of a STH, really.

I used my free survey tickets for Tuesday, April 29 and also bought a couple tickets for the Arizona series. I do have a big complaint about that Detroit game though.

Early in the game there was a short rain delay, and people were looking to move 'under cover'. The attendance that night was 17,023, so the park was anything but packed. As patrons from the OF sections began to slide over to the corners and try to sit under the Club Level Overhang, I witnessed an usher (Brenda down around 153/154) refusing to let people sit in the last 5-10 rows of those sections. She was certainly consistent, kicking everyone out of those seats if they didn't have a ticket for that exact seat even though everyone was just looking for refuge from the rain.

Now, I understand that the ushers have jobs to do and on certain nights this restriction would be required, but I also believe that a certain level of common sense should prevail in situations like these. One of my biggest complaints with what occurs at the park is what seems to be incompetence by some of the park ushers/staff. These people are the first that you see when you walk in and the last that you see when you walk out. Although I've had great experiences with some and there are those who can be conversational and welcoming, it's experiences like these that turn me off to the USCF employees around the park.

I went up to Brenda and voiced by displeasure (as a STH) with how she was treating patrons of the park, and all she could say was "Sir, I'm just doing my job. If people have seats here...". I end the comment there, because I cut her off at that point. The ushers at the park - especially in a situation where the park isn't even 1/3 full - should be using common sense with those seats. Afterall, you're right there at the top of the section. If you see a dispute over a seat, go help everyone out. If someone comes to you with a ticket saying someone is in your seat, go help everyone out. But on a night like that, where it's cold/rainy/crappy, I couldn't believe that she was so steadfast in refusing everyone the ability to stay out of the rain while still watching the game.
This happens all the time, unfortunately. I also have a split season package, and a similar situation happened to me last year. It was a game in early June(I forget who they were playing), and there were about 10,000 people there for a Saturday afternoon game. It was a little chilly out, and our seats are in the right field shade, so my girlfriend suggested that we move to left, Section 157, where the top 15 rows didn't have a soul sitting in them. I obliged.

When we got over there, there wasn't an usher, so we sat in literally the last row and the first two seats on the aisle. Two innings later, I use the washroom and come back to an usher, asking me for my ticket. I explained that our tickets were for another section, and that I was a season ticket holder, and obviously if someone came and had tickets for those seats, we'd move in a second. Mind you, there literally wasn't a person within 25 feet of us.

Predictably, she got on her high horse and had a nice power trip, telling me I needed to move immediately, or she would call security. At this point, I was so pissed, that I just ignored her(which was childish, and I shouldn't have done), but I really didn't care at this point. 5 minutes later, I get a tap on the shoulder from 5 security guards, telling me that she called them and said I was being "belligerent, etc."

Long and short of it was, we ended up spending the rest of the game hanging out with the security/off duty cops, laughing about how absurd she was. They said it happens all the time. Again, use some common sense.

Side note, I was intrigued to learn that anytime they call security, the park has about 20 cameras that they put on you from all angles.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:49 AM
WSI Regular

In my ramblings, I failed to mention that we moved sections to sit in the sun.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:13 PM
New At WSI

Lizard: Thank you very much for the kind words. I appreciate that! Always happy to help!

Jerko: My pleasure -- Definitely understand. No one enjoys a complaint from either side, as it speaks to the experience, but I definitely want to make sure to be able to help where possible. I appreciate the way you voiced it, and it looks like the change worked out for the better for the event. I believe everyone benefited a great deal. Thank you for the suggestion and understanding that sometimes the new events/concepts can take some time to be worked out in their entirety. Please keep me posted if anything else comes up.

DeadMoney: Thank you for the post and for letting me know of your STH status. That is always helpful, as tracking down partners can be tough sometimes! You bring up some excellent points, and I can empathize with them a great deal, as I have even been in those situations myself in other venues. You're exactly right about common sense prevailing, and I believe that you're dead on with the "first seen and heard at the park" and ballpark experience comments. These have been forwarded along, so I appreciate that. It is definitely a balancing act for all involved. The usher wants to make sure to respect the integrity of the seat and the tickets while preserving the experience of the fan. The fan wants to have the best experience possible and be comfortable in situations where weather is a factor and heck, I want both I can't really speak to the zealousness used; however, in these situations, I would always advise to be proactive and speak with the usher first before sitting down. It allows them to be notified, keep control, and work with you, so if need be, there is an established rapport should anyone come in to those seats with you needing to move. It is extremely helpful for them to know what your thoughts/plans are up front and they will, most of the time, be extremely accommodating. Thank you again for your post.

Smac: Thank you for the feedback. This is similar to the previous post, so take a look at the post above for something that could possibly help those types of situations. I believe they could both be alleviated by using this technique. As I mentioned above, I can't speak to the tone or authority that was used, but I can say that if you speak with the usher before you choose to relocate to a seat that isn't on your ticket, giving them a heads up definitely helps. I would want to be warmer myself, and they can almost always understand that would be why you wanted to move.

Thank you both for taking the time.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:15 PM
New At WSI

Also, Jerko, that is a large trash bag.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Also, Jerko, that is a large trash bag.

My next grinder bash is June 27, I'll keep an eye out for Hefty bag boy.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerko View Post
My next grinder bash is June 27, I'll keep an eye out for Hefty bag boy.
I wonder if he's the same guy that brings the garbage can to BYO container night for movie theatre popcorn.