White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 12:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
This has happened twice before with Sale, and he came back both times and dominated immediately. Until further notice, there's nothing to be worried about. He has never missed significant time.

As has been stated this previously never dl'd Sale.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Freak out much?

All the time.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Holy ****, man, chill out
I'm not angry.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-22-2014, 01:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I guess I should include the caveat that I'm born in the 80s so I'm kind of talking out of my ass in this arena, this is based solely on my observation of old baseball footage as seen in TV shows, documentaries, found online, etc. But it seems like back in the day, pitchers generally had a much more relaxed and natural delivery. You didn't have guys snapping their elbows like Kerry Wood or whatever. There wasn't a fascination with overpowering hitters, I get the idea that the general feeling was that pitchers weren't terrified of the HR so they were more willing to let guys slap the ball and let their defense work behind them, especially once you got away from the meat of the order.
I was born in 1951 so there is a generational thing involved here. Bats were heavier back then and although the broken bat single was not rare the shattered bat didn't happen. That is a danger that I find hard to believe has not been addressed. Today's players have grown up in a much more risk averse society in many ways. Look at what is happening in football. That is not a criticism. It is better that people are safer.

I was far more safety conscious with my kids than my Mom ever felt the need to be with us. I played ice hockey with cardboard shoved up my trousers to my knees. I watched ice hockey played when the goalies didn't have masks on. I played goalie as a kid without a mask. Do you think I would have let one of my kids do that for one second? No. Those guys were tough and I don't think any of them made enough money to live the rest of their lives on. I also they didn't think much about their lives after sports.

So, if you tell pitchers and coaches that a they risk injury if they do this or don't do that, that information goes on board and becomes a policy. It is a microcosm of what is going on all around them in everyday life. Fear of bad things happening can stop a lot of good things from happening. I'm as guilty as anybody.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Just because he was never on the DL before doesn't mean that similar things haven't happened to Sale before. Hahn seemed pretty clear that he might have not needed to go on the DL, they're just being cautious.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:04 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 28m

Sale's 15-day DL stint is retroactive to Friday, the day after his last start. Eligible to come off next weekend.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 04-22-2014, 02:07 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
NO!! Someone must be blamed!
Yep.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Old days vs. now

I've heard it blamed on the slider being harder on the arm than the curve. Any truth to that, you experts?
Old 04-22-2014, 02:18 PM
WSI Personality

Has anyone suggested yet that the K Zone has subconsciously affected Sale to only want to get strikeouts therefore leading to an increased amount of pitches and ultimately this injury?

Just checking.

It's hard not to expect the worst but there's nothing to do at this point except wait and try to muddle by every 5th day with our Charlotte boys.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Has anyone suggested yet that the K Zone has subconsciously affected Sale to only want to get strikeouts therefore leading to an increased amount of pitches and ultimately this injury?
Let's certainly hope no one has suggested that.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I guess I should include the caveat that I'm born in the 80s so I'm kind of talking out of my ass in this arena, this is based solely on my observation of old baseball footage as seen in TV shows, documentaries, found online, etc. But it seems like back in the day, pitchers generally had a much more relaxed and natural delivery. You didn't have guys snapping their elbows like Kerry Wood or whatever. There wasn't a fascination with overpowering hitters, I get the idea that the general feeling was that pitchers weren't terrified of the HR so they were more willing to let guys slap the ball and let their defense work behind them, especially once you got away from the meat of the order.
You didn't see the elbow snapping delivery that Kerry Wood had back then because even guys who threw hard had the drop and drive delivery, Seaver used to get dirt on on his pants because his knee would touch the ground. I don't know why guys stopped doing that but you seldom see that kind of delivery anymore.

Grantland had a piece about the increase in Tommy John surgeries this year and Dr. James Andrews said that a big part of it was the rise of year round baseball and kids throwing more breaking balls more often. And kids are only focusing on one sport earlier and earlier which means they are developing some muscles while neglecting others. High school kids aren't just throwing in season, they're on traveling teams, they're playing almost 12 months a year and by the time they even get to the big leagues their ligaments might be in tatters. A lot of times the damage is done well before a kid throws a pitch professionally.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Grantland had a piece about the increase in Tommy John surgeries this year and Dr. James Andrews said that a big part of it was the rise of year round baseball and kids throwing more breaking balls more often. And kids are only focusing on one sport earlier and earlier which means they are developing some muscles while neglecting others. High school kids aren't just throwing in season, they're on traveling teams, they're playing almost 12 months a year and by the time they even get to the big leagues their ligaments might be in tatters. A lot of times the damage is done well before a kid throws a pitch professionally.
Hawk, of all people, explained this issue really well about 4-5 years ago on a TV broadcast. I vividly remember it.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
You didn't see the elbow snapping delivery that Kerry Wood had back then because even guys who threw hard had the drop and drive delivery, Seaver used to get dirt on on his pants because his knee would touch the ground. I don't know why guys stopped doing that but you seldom see that kind of delivery anymore.

Kind of makes you wonder if coaches and/or parents need to tell their kids they need to stay in shape throughout their body by playing multiple sports for as long as possible. I don't know if the number of three-sport athletes in high schools has decreased or not in recent years, but if those with the most potential to make it professionally are not among them, it might signify a bigger problem of the pressures at a young age. I know that pressure isn't likely to change, but it still could paint a picture of where we're at in youth sports today.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
So what? He's not out for the season and this has happened to him in the past around this same time of year. Would you rather have the Sox try what they did 2 years ago and move him to the bullpen, or would you rather he get a couple weeks rest and come back and pitch?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
So what? He's not out for the season and this has happened to him in the past around this same time of year. Would you rather have the Sox try what they did 2 years ago and move him to the bullpen, or would you rather he get a couple weeks rest and come back and pitch?
Point was when this happened before it didnt require the dl, now it does. This is more than the day to day of previous times, we will see how this all plays out.