White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 12:01 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
Going 127 pitches vs Red Sox was too much. Our bullpen is going to kill our starters who try to extend.
127 pitches is just ridiculous. Ventura has been doing that sort of thing since day 1. Pitched Jones and Reed 5/6 days last year for absolutely no legitimate reason at all and nonsense like that.

I don't know why the Sox refuse to hire a real manager.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:05 AM
WSI Prelate

Bring on Leesman. I'll take any LH pitcher since our pile of RH pitchers just suck.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
127 pitches is just ridiculous. Ventura has been doing that sort of thing since day 1. Pitched Jones and Reed 5/6 days last year for absolutely no legitimate reason at all and nonsense like that.

I don't know why the Sox refuse to hire a real manager.
But doesn't Don Cooper have a lot of say about the handling of pitchers?
Old 04-22-2014, 07:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
But doesn't Don Cooper have a lot of say about the handling of pitchers?
Yes he does, and he doesn't think much of people who talk about pitch counts.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Anytime a pitcher goes on the dl its bad, its even worse when its early in the season and even worse when its the 25 year old star of a team with an unorthodox pitching motion.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:34 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Anytime a pitcher goes on the dl its bad, its even worse when its early in the season and even worse when its the 25 year old star of a team with an unorthodox pitching motion.
Freak out much? Can we at least pretend the team is telling the truth that the MRI revealed a muscle issue but no tendon damage for a short while before jumping off the bridge into the sweet dark icy water to nestle in death's embrace?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-22-2014, 09:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Freak out much? Can we at least pretend the team is telling the truth that the MRI revealed a muscle issue but no tendon damage for a short while before jumping off the bridge into the sweet dark icy water to nestle in death's embrace?
NO!! Someone must be blamed!
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 04-22-2014, 09:43 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
It is absolutely mind-numbing to me that, for a decade now, people on this site can rip Dusty Baker for overusing Mark Prior and Kerry Wood, especially in cold weather, then when Robin overuses Chris Sale in cold weather, it's backtrack city.

I'm a grown man with a basic understanding of the concept of causality. I'm not going to make a dismissive wank gesture with one hand while the other digs a hole in the sand for me to bury my head in simply because it's one of our guys who screwed up.

I'm not saying that Robin's ruined Sale, that would be ridiculous. But it absolutely was the wrong decision to have Sale throw 127 pitches on a cold night, and it didn't take hindsight to realize it.
You, sir, have won the thread.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-22-2014, 09:44 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog528 View Post
It was pretty much considered a side session. Big deal
Oh. Makes me wonder why starters aren't routinely used in relief when their day for a side session comes up then. Probably because it would be a bad idea.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:45 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
The only thing that terrifies me right now is that a flexor strain is the exact same original diagnosis that Gavin Floyd was given when he went on the DL last year before it was revealed he tore the muscle and UCL.

http://www.thecatbirdseatblog.com/bl...-disabled-list

Just keeping my fingers crossed right now.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:51 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Oh. Makes me wonder why starters aren't routinely used in relief when their day for a side session comes up then. Probably because it would be a bad idea.
Holy ****, man, chill out, Reinzo's last start in Charlotte was April 14, he was definitely out there just to get a little bit of work in. He'll have thrown a grand total of 1 inning across all levels in the 9 days leading up to his start Wednesday.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

I continue to be perplexed as to why so many modern day starting pitchers are so fragile. Robin's criminally incompetent because he had his ace throw 127 pitches in an early season game? If your ace is that vulnerable then he's not really an ace. No matter what happens with Sale I will not criticize our manager for this. Just as I thought Dusty Baker was unfairly maligned for the arm troubles of Prior and Wood. I have no idea why Robin Roberts, Fergie Jenkins, Mickey Lolich and Nolan Ryan were so durable for so long. Roberts and Jenkins were control pitchers with smooth pitching motions and good hard sinkers. Lolich and Ryan both not so smooth. Sale's mechanics, which contribute to his nasty stuff, may be producing extra stress on his arm, shoulder and elbow. I just don't know. I do believe that it should not be too much to ask your main guy to occasionally be able to throw more than 100 or so pitches on 4 days rest. Lastly, I did not intend for this to cause one of those pointless angry youngblood vs old fart baseball arguments. I just think good starters should be able log well over 200 IP and even throw the occasional complete game.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:59 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I continue to be perplexed as to why so many modern day starting pitchers are so fragile. Robin's criminally incompetent because he had his ace throw 127 pitches in an early season game? If your ace is that vulnerable then he's not really an ace. No matter what happens with Sale I will not criticize our manager for this. Just as I thought Dusty Baker was unfairly maligned for the arm troubles of Prior and Wood. I have no idea why Robin Roberts, Fergie Jenkins, Mickey Lolich and Nolan Ryan were so durable for so long. Roberts and Jenkins were control pitchers with smooth pitching motions and good hard sinkers. Lolich and Ryan both not so smooth. Sale's mechanics, which contribute to his nasty stuff, may be producing extra stress on his arm, shoulder and elbow. I just don't know. I do believe that it should not be too much to ask your main guy to occasionally be able to throw more than 100 or so pitches on 4 days rest. Lastly, I did not intend for this to cause one of those pointless angry youngblood vs old fart baseball arguments. I just think good starters should be able log well over 200 IP and even throw the occasional complete game.
I think it's pretty difficult and perhaps even meaningless to compare pitchers across time. The eras are just so different and I don't know if the idea that pitchers are more fragile now even holds true.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
It's been done before in this type of situation.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I think it's pretty difficult and perhaps even meaningless to compare pitchers across time. The eras are just so different and I don't know if the idea that pitchers are more fragile now even holds true.
Nolan Ryan was routinely at 140 pitches in his 40s. Even threw over 160.

Here's is Will Carroll's take. He is a little more qualified than several of the MDs on this board.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...on-aces-injury